Tutorial - Painting the silver ring on your G1W/C .

reznorcake

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I've seen a lot of people asking about painting the silver ring on their G1W, so I took the time to take a few pictures of the process I did. All in all it took about an hour, and is extremely simple to do.
Step 1: Pry open your G1W, I suggest you use a pry tool, but a flat head screw driver will work as well. I had the best luck prying around the USB port on the top.
SIDJM1p.jpg

Step 2: On the bottom/inside of the front cover you will see where the silver ring is attached. Remove the 4 screws that hold the sliver ring in place, and the ring will slide right out.
ZaDU4Zk.jpg

aqEYM4s.jpg

Step 3: With the ring removed, you can now tape off the bottom half of the ring, just below the lip. This isn't necessary, but its probably a good idea, as it makes reinstall much more easy. You can't see that part anyways, since its inside the camera, so why even waste the time to paint it? Its your choice.
bXztBzZ.jpg

RaYxTA2.jpg

Step 4: Now the paint, its completely up to you what paint/color you use. But I suggest using a product called "Plasti-Dip". It's a type of rubber spray, that once dried can be cleanly peeled off(see here:

You can usually find it on sale at any hardware type store(Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc)Its an awesome product. I used it because if for any reason I need to return my camera, I can just peel it off and my seller is none-the-wiser. But if you wanna just use normal spray paint, that's perfectly fine as well. Just be sure when using plasti-dip is spray it in very light coats, don't just pile it on. Do thin, light coats, drying about 8-10 minuets between each coat. Here is the ring after 2 coats:
WVzXBVu.jpg

And here's 4 coats:
dat8pUA.jpg

And the ring dried with 5 coats of plasti-dip:
m1XKCo6.jpg

Step 5: Put everything back together, the ring might be a little tight to get in since we added a bit of mass around the ring by adding paint, so be careful not to scrape any paint off when sliding it back into the cover. And thats it, you've successfully "stealthified" your G1W.
sDUMnY1.jpg

tfMlvHq.jpg

Last edited:
Good work!
Plasti-dip is my favourite stuff to hide any "bling" on dashcams.

Nice job ! Good tuto !

Just bumping to confirm its been 6+ months and the Plasti-dip on my G1W still looks great. No peeling!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IanCaunce G1WX 92
M G1WX 4
Back