Tweaking OV4689 (HDR OFF) & IMX322...

Would like to see this mods on X camera firmwares too

The Sony camera above dont do that bad for such a camera / sensor, and i do like their shape over the regular box shaped ones.

sad indeed

The #1 pictures have flat colors, #2 are much better colors, maybe a little too rich.

Whats the tweak you made ? just color profile

Whats the tweak you made ? just color profile
Other values of ISO in the video mode, correction of gamma curves, compensation
of the overexposed sections of the frame, the metering table, the density of black and something else...
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
13.jpg 14.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

Last edited:
hehe pretty much everything :cool:

Nice work, but wondering why the people that make dashcams dont do it them-self to sell a better product.

but wondering why the people that make dashcams dont do it them-self to sell a better product.
But you can not change the model line for a long time, releasing "new" firmware.
Programmers are happy, after receiving a salary. Users are also happy, getting "new" firmware...)

Too bad this mod is not available for Garmin dash cam 55. It could really use the improvement.

It seems to me that Garmin is a very large company that has a staff of programmers
and can afford any improvement in software without difficulty.

It seems to me that Garmin is a very large company that has a staff of programmers
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see them releasing firmware that would take the full advantage of the platform's potential. Is there any chance of using your mod on dash cam 55? It looks like it's the same CPU/sensor as Dome (A12A55 SOC, OV4689)

I do not know, because I did not even watch the firmware from Garmin.
However, I know for sure that all Ambarella firmware can be very well tuned to get high-quality video.
Why does not the manufacturer do this initially? I do not know...

there is no problem due to shortage of programmers, there is a shortage of knowledge of image quality adjustments

Yes i think in many cases adjusting for IQ will just be done by tweaking this or that single button mentioned in the SDK, but truth be told you can get much better results if you tweak on several buttons as falsificator do.
In the old days this was not a problem as looking at the big picture and all your means at disposal was the norm, but it seem like today if the solution are not serves as a single click solution on a silver platter then people dont get it.

Back