Two A129s rather than one duo

DAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Two Viofo 129 PRO cameras and a Tesla Model 3 4 Channel
I just ordered two A129 pro cameras, one for forward and one for rear view. I don't like the idea of the duo because then there is a single point of failure, and the rear camera is lower resolution.
I would have preferred in not having wifi, but since it does have it, can one set up the phone app to work with more than one camera?

I would have preferred in not having wifi
You don't have to turn wifi on!

can one set up the phone app to work with more than one camera?
Only one at a time, you need to connect the phone to the wifi network for the camera you want to communicate with, then run the app.

I just ordered two A129 pro cameras, one for forward and one for rear view.
Should improve the heat tolerance too, there is a fairly significant drop in power consumption when the rear camera is not in use.

Let me see if I understand the way the cameras wifi works.
The camera connects to a wifi network (say my home system) and the phone connects to the camera through this wifi network.
So I can only look at videos when I am within range of the wifi network.

There is no ability to view videos on my phone at say an accident site in the middle of the desert? Looks like they would have been better off with bluetooth, except I don't think bluetooth has the bandwidth for video.
Is there browser app so I could view/download videos with my PC?

No, the camera provides its own wifi network and you connect your phone to that network and can do so anywhere.

It is possible to connect your computer and just point the browser at the camera, however file access is much quicker if you put the memory card in the computer/card reader. Very few people use the camera wifi from their computer, I sometimes do to display the live view from the street on my TV in the living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post ... I have not ordered yet and am considering doing the same, getting two of the A129 Pro for front and back. When hooking up to the power, can I use the
same fuse or do I need a second fuse?
If you are using 2 hardwire kits then you can connect them both to the same fuse tap cable, the crimp connector should accept two wires.

since mine will be going into a tesla, and the tesla has no fuses, I will be just using the existing USB cabling I have from my previous dash cams. I won't be using the parking mode as the sentry mode on the Tesla is perfectly adequate for that.

Back