Two cameras on one power cord

freightliner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
First post. Total beginner.

I drive a commercial vehicle. I want to build a custom dash cam unit composing of a bracket that fits around the arm of the mirror holding a pvc tube with poly carbonate lens protector ends with 2 Mobius 2 cameras suspended within the tube, one pointing forward, one pointing backwards. I want to use only one power cord - two power cord ends spliced and connected to the dash cams. I realize this is probably basic electronics 101 and I understand the smirks. I'm looking for proof that by doing this the voltage or amperage will be enough to run both cameras or proof that it won't.

It all depends upon what your power source (i.e. cigarette plug adapter or dedicated 12V to 5V converter) is rated to provide. If it can handle at least 2 Amps, you should be fine. I am personally running a simlar set-up in two of my cars using a 12V to 5V converter (rated at 2A) hardwired in and have had no problems.

I've used 4 cameras from one outlet so as long as electronics 101 is followed, it should be fine, ie. Don't connect +ve with -ve.

It all depends upon what your power source (i.e. cigarette plug adapter or dedicated 12V to 5V converter) is rated to provide. If it can handle at least 2 Amps, you should be fine. I am personally running a simlar set-up in two of my cars using a 12V to 5V converter (rated at 2A) hardwired in and have had no problems.
So if I understand what your saying the voltage doesn't drop or I should say on a 12 volt to 5 volt adapter it is not the voltage I should be concerned with but the amperage rating?

I've used 4 cameras from one outlet so as long as electronics 101 is followed, it should be fine, ie. Don't connect +ve with -ve.
I guess I don't understand crypto zen.

I guess I don't understand crypto zen.

If you have two cameras that require 5 Volts and a minimum of 1 amp each (Mobius) you'll need a 12V to 5V adapter that can output the 5V at 2 amps minimum. That should be no problem. You'll need a power cable of the correct wire gauge size (AWG) for this to work optimally. Two cables going to one dual port USB adapter may be a better approach.

I would highly recommend that you stick with the Mobius 1 camera for the time being if you have not made your purchase of the M2 yet. The Mobius 2 has been on the market for 14 months and still has numerous image quality issues that need to be resolved. At this time we do not know when or if that will occur.

Thanks guys,

Information that I can use. I have not yet purchased the Mobius 2 cameras yet. I did already have 2 of the Mobius 1's set up with the capacitors. So I'll see if I can make this work. Thanks again.

Back