two cameras or dual cameras?

Pocatello

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! Great website and forum! Here is my first post!

My family just purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my wife will be the primary driver. I like the idea of a camera in the front as well as the rear of the vehicle.

What are the pros and cons of running separate cameras in the front and rear vs. getting a DC Dual camera setup?

I like wi-fi access to the camera, and parking lot monitoring in the rear is important.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Two separate cameras would be more expensive, tricker to get power to rear, and less stealthy. You would have two memory cards not in sync so wouldn’t easy to get picture in picture playback like true dual does

I have been using several single cameras for many years, but in this day and age with what you can get in dual channel systems i see no reason to do that any more.
I have just put a test sample dual remote camera to use as side cameras, which this new kind of cameras are excellent for, and for front and rear use i have the SG9663DC which are a conventional dual system with a "larger" front main unit and a small rear camera on a wire.

The dual remote style cameras are still not quite there, quality are going to be fine ASO, but they haven't really hit the market yet, but i am sure there will be a few to choose among before the X mas present rush.
But for a front / rear system the current ones do just as good, only if you have a rare and particular badly build car in regard to windscreen layout will the current systems be less useful,,,, but that's pretty rare, normally you can always do a good and stealthy install.

With todays' camera options the only 'real world' advantage that may offset the previously mentioned disadvantages of dual single cameras would be if you had the same single cameras front and rear and the front camera failed it could easily be swapped with the one in the rear. Other than that there is no advantage.

Thanks for your responses. That makes sense to me.

If I purchased the SG9663Pro --- how big of a memory card should I purchase?

Does the parking mode work well with this device? Does parking mode work for both the front and rear camera at the same time?

Dual cameras can also "fail" in the sense there is a problem with connection to the rear camera, in which case unplugging it should make the front camera soldier on alone just fine.
This is also why if you read threads with people having problems with dual systems, one of the first things suggested is to unplug the rear camera and then see how the front one do on its own.

Good thing is the new cameras will have both a audio and visual alarm if for some reason they encounter a problem recording, in the old days a camera would appear to be doing just fine, but then it had not recorded for days, and you wouldn't see that before you did the occasional look over of the memory card which i still recommend people to do regardless if they have a modern " format free" smart camera.
And it take less than 10 minutes on the PC to look over a 128 Gb card for file integrity and recording integrity, so that every month or 2 are time well spent.

128 GB at least.
I think the 9663DC PRO support all of the parking modes, supported by the latest SG cameras too, but better tag in @jokiin to be sure ( i have not been able to use parking mode on any of the SG cameras i have been sent,,,,, but this will change "soon" i am sure )

yes front and rear cameras record in parking mode, timelapse, low bitrate recording modes, user selectable run times are all menu options, voltage cutoff is selectable on the hardwire kit

When i get to there i will personally be using low bitrate recording for parking modes, as the only places where i would need parking mode are on parking lots with fairly slow moving traffic.
And then i will be using a 1 hour timer most of the time as that cover all of my shopping, and if need be i can always crank that timer up to a larger number of hours.
Low bitrate give you regular 30 FPS video, and not least sound too, something you do not get in time lapse as that would just sound terrible.

I am unsure if low bitrate are a good idea if you park at the curb on a road where people go by at speed, in that case the low bitrate miight be too low, this experiment are something of the first i will have to do when i get a new kit, as it have been naggin me since low bitrate for parking mode became a thing.

How hard is it to install the rear camera? I am pretty handy... but I don't know about working in a new vehicle. I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee.

not difficult but can be a bit time consuming on some newer vehicles to get the cable routed correctly, behind airbags, through tailgate grommets etc

I’ve run a couple different setups with independent rear cams. I now have a dual channel setup. It’s SO MUCH nicer to have a single system with dual cams. Marking, keeping time in sync, power, SD cards, parking mode, all of it is so much simpler with a single dual-channel setup versus independent cams.

Back