Two dashcams stop working in heat in car

dpick1947

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all had a daft one today I had to go into town and left car parked up in direct sunlight for three and a half hours. When I returned to my car and started up I noticed that both of my Dashcam's (HPf210 and DOD LS430W) did not start up no chimes nothing. I had to stop for fuel after about 30 minutes when I got back in car the Dashcam's started up again (car was cooler after 30 minutes of aircon).

When I first got in car after the meeting the car registered an outside temp of 22c I must admit that the inside was damn hot when I first got back in.

dpick1947

Hi all had a daft one today I had to go into town and left car parked up in direct sunlight for three and a half hours. When I returned to my car and started up I noticed that both of my Dashcam's (HPf210 and DOD LS430W) did not start up no chimes nothing. I had to stop for fuel after about 30 minutes when I got back in car the Dashcam's started up again (car was cooler after 30 minutes of aircon).

When I first got in car after the meeting the car registered an outside temp of 22c I must admit that the inside was damn hot when I first got back in.

dpick1947

Sad to hear about issues you had, but again this shows and proves that people should go with dashcams which are based on Supercaps ( capacitors ).

Must be the temperature protection that have been engaged, i am sure you can do with less time than the 30 minutes,especially in a aircon car.

I am :eek: both of my dashcams crank right up these days with 27 deg C temperatures, my Little red car is so hot i say "god damm" out loud when i get into it.
And wish i had spent a littl more and gotten a car with aircon, even if that aircon would steal half of the horsepowers in my Little car.

Nimh batteries seem to be much more tolerant of heat. Although they are heavier & bulkier, I would have thought they'd be a better choice than lithium based batteries in such a hot environment. The nimh AA in my pocket torch has been very hot on several occasions - hot enough to melt its plastic sleeve, but I'm still using the same nimh Eneloop battery 2 years later (the torch gets hot as it draws 1.7 amps and had a tendency to turn itself on in my pocket).

images (2).jpg perhaps this might be the solution for overheating dashcams if it fails permanently you can always roller over it :D @ kamkar1 ........ see the Bitch u Mishi is as good as new again, sorry its not red.......en-route to GJHS,s cave .....if only Ipol :)

Last edited:
Was worried when I got back into the car when the temps where 92F outside. After sitting there for an hour, it was very hot inside. My Finevu's were working in parking mode & felt very warm...no damage seems to have resulted from that.

Must be the temperature protection that have been engaged, i am sure you can do with less time than the 30 minutes,especially in a aircon car

I think this maybe due to may dashcams being on ignition so if to hot when starting up the temp protection kicked in but when they cooled down they did not start-up again until I had switched off car at garage then got back in and re started car the dashcams were cooled enough to start again with ignition.

Are batteries cheaper than capacitors or is size the primary reason batteries are used?

Are batteries cheaper than capacitors or is size the primary reason batteries are used?

One reason to select batter is due to the price,
Other is it can support a longer time in power.

I had my blackvue shut off after just 20-30 min in the sun 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a reflective sun screen tho for the front window which i normally put in even if its just 15 min in the hot sun. Cracking the windows with the sun screen really helps. It has an opening for the rearview mirror which i can put just right so the camera can still look out without being TOO visible.

Yesterday was the first really hot day around here. I left my camera recording in full sun @ 94 degrees with all windows up all day and no issues. Blacksys CF-100.

Does anyone know how long it should take for the dash cam to start working again after the Temp Protection shut it down? I have a friend who left his dash cam (which has a super capacitor and built-in heat protection) in the car on a hot sunny day (was about 50 degrees in the car) and it refused to work until the day after, even after removing it from the heat.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

dpick1947

22C is hot? That's like 71F, which is quite mild.

It was 101F here today, and I'm sure inside my car it was probably 110F (43C). Now that's HOT!

I had 48C today in my car (I keep a thermometer in my car, just to test temperatures, for laughs), with about 32C outside. In the hottest summer days, when we have 38 to 42C outside, the temp in the car reaches 55C +

My old iTronics cameras (100HD) never stopped working (had them for 2 years), not even in 65+ temperature.

My Vicovation WF1 (hardwired) stopped working after about 20m (today, at 32C outside).

This is all really interesting. Is there anywhere theres a definitive list of which cameras have capacitors rather than batteries? I know the Guardtrak does, but we cant get that one yet :)

This is all really interesting. Is there anywhere theres a definitive list of which cameras have capacitors rather than batteries? I know the Guardtrak does, but we cant get that one yet :)

I was just about to start a new thread asking the same thing, and came across this.

In topical country here, the temp outside can reach 35 C, and inside the car to 80 C!

Which capacitor based DashCam is the king of max heat operation? I was told the Panorama is rated up to 90C/194F.

Which capacitor based DashCam is the king of max heat operation? I was told the Panorama is rated up to 90C/194F.

I believe it's rated to 80c however has been tested at 90c, the operating temps you list with a product are often a bit below what you test them at to leave yourself a bit of a buffer

Back