Two different A118C with different video quality?

raytracer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my A118C from GearBest and the video quality is much lower than I saw online before, so I searched for more videos online and downloaded some raw files, and found that some users have the same problem. Mine has a very strong software sharpness filter that gives a while halo line along edges, which makes trees look jagged and not real. Sky tends to blow out white. It's similar to this video:
Or this:

While some other A118 videos have almost none sharpness artifact and sky is a gorgeous blue:

Mine has the default setting, WDR on, EV 0. I've played with the two settings but they just got worse.

Are there really two versions with different image sensors?

There is another version of this model now but I haven't had a chance to get a look at it myself

Any branding on your one?

The new secondary B40 factory probably took one short cut too many to get that new lower price. G1W suffered the same fate. Starts off strong and goes down hill from there with time.

Yeah I agree. The ones from Gearbest seem to be much lower quality. I received mine not too long ago and the quality is pretty poor.

we have someone in Australia that has just released a version of this cam which is 1080p25 which might suggest there is another PCB/Chipset version as well

Maybe cheaper NT96620 instead NT96650 chipset. Some G1W models have this chipset and is cheaper but 25fps (1080P) is the maximum that can be achieved. NT96650 chip have 30fps in same 1080P resolution. Also is important is it AVI or MOV format files

I had 3 of these and sold 2 keeping one that had an extraordinary good quality image way above the others...

The new secondary B40 factory probably took one short cut too many to get that new lower price. G1W suffered the same fate. Starts off strong and goes down hill from there with time.
That's unfortunate. I have friends who like the form factor but cringed at the price of the SG9665GC. I've felt pretty confident recommending the A118-C as an alternative but guess that's no longer on option. :(

Last edited:
That's unfortunate. I have friends who like the form factor but cringed as the price of the SG9665GC. I've felt pretty confident recommending the A118-C as an alternative but guess that's no longer on option. :(
just like the g1w, we'll have to start a list of sellers selling the real deal and not a knockoff. you can still get it, just have to be careful.

The boot screen does say Viofo, and there's an option to choose NTSC vs. PAL. After setting to NTSC, I got 1080p 30fps MOV files.
So, am I using a new, degraded version?
Or can this be a fake Viofo A118C?

It's still possible to fake the boot screen logo, right?

Back