Two (fairly) close calls.

kirby34

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR650S-1CH
Both from this week on my way home from work. Hopefully, my addition of notes in the videos doesn't confuse or detract.

With this first one, maybe because it's at night, the closeness of our cars seems more dramatic than it actually was, at least from my perspective when it happened.

For this 2nd one, you'll immediately notice where the other car was positioned when I arrived. It should be noted that the sensor pads in that left lane don't work, so no matter where you stop, you won't get the green light. It's probably even more frustrating because the lights repeatedly cycle for 2 other directions due to ongoing construction. I assumed the driver hadn't been at this light before, had been sitting there for a few cycles, was growing impatient, and was going to turn against the red, until I approached. For that reason, I initially gave them a "pass" until what eventually happened.

BTW, although I can't prove it because there's no audio, I did *not* honk at the cars in either instance.

It seems to be a common occurrence everywhere these days. Expect other drivers to do the wrong thing and you will survive another day.

Expect other drivers to do the wrong thing and you will survive another day.
That is almost verbatim my advice to new motorcycle riders.

Phil

It is funny how people in modern power assisted cars cant be bothered with turning their cars as they are supposed to, but Ooooo no they cut corners and drift wide like they are F1 drivers.
Theses should be forced to drive a old non power steering car for 6 months, and if the commit the same offense within those 6 months they should be banned 1 year from driving.

I will add that the intersections involved are quite close in proximity and, therefore, in the same city. The road engineering department in this particular city is rather slow (to put it nicely) in addressing signal timing and road striping issues. The intersection in the 2nd clip could certainly do with striping to remind the inside (left) lane to remain in the inside lane when turning, but they won't do it because of the ongoing construction.

The intersection in the 1st clip should also get striping because there are double left turn lanes going in all 3 directions. I should say RE-striping because there used to be striping but it's long-since worn away. In 2 of the directions, striping is very important because the outer lanes are supposed to go out wider than what would be considered typical. For example, in the lane that I was in, per the barely visible striping, I am supposed to have the option of turning into the #1 or #2 lanes instead of only the #1 lane. The outer lane is supposed to turn into the #3 lane only. There was a car to my right in that clip and when I turned into the #2 lane, he turned behind me, probably wondering what I was thinking. To be honest, though, even when the striping was still visible, drivers in the outer lane still cut across and turned into the #2 lane on a semi-regular basis.

Yeah those guys are not too fast, with the price we Danes pay for a car and owning and refueling them, you would sensible assume that all curbs here was gold plated and the roads was tip - top.
BUT ! :cautious: that is far from the case.
I am by far no math wizz, but looking at things like that here, just do not add up, and its so far off i cant just wipe it off on my lacking math skills.

If buying refuling and operating a car here was as dirt cheap as in the US, pardon my french i could to some extend understand it, but things are at least 2 X more expensive here.

Maybe our road designers can use some ideas that have been proven to work:

1622518675207.png

Here's another close call. As you can probably tell by the timestamp, this happened earlier today as I was on my way to work. If you want, you can jump straight to the ~20 second mark to get the "main course" of the clip. I included the lead up because I wanted to show that I was not accelerating in an attempt to box out the truck. This is one instance when I wish I had a 2ch camera so I could also show that the truck had not been in the overtake lane so I did not cut him off nor was I impeding him. He approached from the #3 lane, thus crossing 2 lanes when he squeezed in. The ironic part is that he took the next exit which was right around the bend.

been proven to work
Euro slide.
Well when it come to Euro / EU, there are some people that think it is not working at all, or very bad at least.
The Danish ( name for female dog ) that are high up in that gangs hirachy, are not proposing a digital EU wallet / passport.

Last edited:
Back