Two new dual channel A139's faulty?

wrighar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last ween I received 2 new dual channel (front/rear) A139's and both exhibit trhe same issue.

When fitted to the car the both turn off silently (all lights go out, then red power light flashes on then off), at odd times and then 'maybe' turn back on, but then only very occasionally. this can be anywhare between 1m and 10m or switch on.
When they turn off the only way to turn them on again is to pull the power.

They both arrived with v1.1 firmware, and have both now been upgraded to v1.2, but this has made no difference.

If I remove them and run them off a wall charger they will run for 12 hrs without issues.

Has anyone else had these sorts of issues?

Sounds like they are going into parking mode?

How are they powered?

If you use some build in USB port in the car to power it, then no wonder these are often too weak.
You would have to be damn unlucky to have gotten 2 faulty power supplies.

I've been using the supplied aux (cigerette) socket power connectors.

I've mixed and matched all permutations / combo's of:
2 power adapters
2 main camera units
2 gps bases
2 cars
2 accessory sockets (2 per car).

Same issue with all. I'm only running the main camera so far, not the rear yet

I am now trying a 20,000MAh battery supply with a USB-C cable and it seems to be working OK for the last 2 hours..

From this I'd guess the 2 accessory power suplies are not beefy enough, rather thah all 4 sockets over 2 cars being faulty.

Next I may try a 2.1A USB accessoty adapter plug I have.

Last edited:
OK, Power pack and USB-C cable worked OK for a couple of 4 hrs static and an hour of driving.

Next I fitted my little accessory to dual USB socket adapter (cheap slim Griffin41fhFPQIZ9L._SY90_.jpg one from years ago) and its been working for a 30 min drive OK.

I will test like this some more

But initial conclusion is both the supplied power adapters are not up to the job.

I do have a couple of HK3-C Hardwire power kits to fit.. but I'd wanted to check everything was working OK before doing that....

Last edited:
Using none factory power sources are often a cause of problems, some times we have tried to diagnose a persons problems, and then after 2 pages of talking back and forth here we found out the camera is plugged into some in dash USB port.
Too weak multi port USB chargers can also cause problems, but can also be used if you get the right ones, i personally have one 4 port and one 5 port where the 2 ports can be used.
Any dashcam iregularities on non supplied power sources and you should try the provided ones first ( i now have 2 X 3 port 12 V outlets in the glove box so i am able to test with the original power sources )

they will run fine on the hardwire kits, might be the cig adapters they used were the wrong ones, the earlier cameras weren't as power hungry and would run fine on those

Definitely a powering problem. The A139 needs more power than any other cam I've had, but with the HWK made for it I've had no power problems.

Phil

Using none factory power sources are often a cause of problems, some times we have tried to diagnose a persons problems, and then after 2 pages of talking back and forth here we found out the camera is plugged into some in dash USB port.
Too weak multi port USB chargers can also cause problems, but can also be used if you get the right ones, i personally have one 4 port and one 5 port where the 2 ports can be used.
Any dashcam iregularities on non supplied power sources and you should try the provided ones first ( i now have 2 X 3 port 12 V outlets in the glove box so i am able to test with the original power sources )

It's the supplied power supplies are the ones not working, wall socket, battery pack and my old accessory adapter seemingly are working.

It's a week of testing 30 + permutations which has led me to believe both of the supplier usb-c accessory adapters are not good enough. the accessory ports are fused at 7.5A

Attachments

• usbc.jpg
    usbc.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
It's the supplied power supplies are the ones not working
likely the wrong ones were supplied, or possibly they got some bad ones from their supplier, not sure where they source those, if they're the dual output ones assuming you did try both sockets, normally one is 2A and the other is 1A, should be marked anyway

likely the wrong ones were supplied, or possibly they got some bad ones from their supplier, not sure where they source those, if they're the dual output ones assuming you did try both sockets, normally one is 2A and the other is 1A, should be marked anyway
It's this:
Accessory socket to a single captive usb-c plug
12v/24v to 5v 3A model CC-030N

Attachments

• usbc.jpg
    usbc.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
in that case I'd say they must have got some bad ones, I'd let them know as ideally you want those replaced in case you ever need to use them in the future

Yeah, they need to know, otherwise how can they ever get better, or maybe do damage control if more of these have gotten out in the wild.

Back