Two New Mobius Lenses Coming Soon.

Nice to see Mobius hasn't forgotten us who still use the old cam with the ongoing work with the new ones!

Phil

If they tweak the Mobius firmware to properly support a capacitor, that'd would make a lot of us very happy. One can wish.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
there hasn't been any firmware update for more than a year, wonder what prompted the renewed interest in the lenses, perhaps this might at least bring some further work on firmware

there hasn't been any firmware update for more than a year, wonder what prompted the renewed interest in the lenses, perhaps this might at least bring some further work on firmware

I have a hunch these new M1 lenses are a byproduct of some of the new lens options that have been in the works for the M2.

I have a hunch these new M1 lenses are a byproduct of some of the new lens options that have been in the works for the M2.

could well be, may be a case of them finding better options that weren't available previously, I know the same has happened for us

If they tweak the Mobius firmware to properly support a capacitor, that'd would make a lot of us very happy. One can wish.. :rolleyes:

You have issues with capacitor Mobius? Mine runs OK on it......

You have issues with capacitor Mobius? Mine runs OK on it......

Mine being a diesel car, if the Mobius is recording in ACC mode and I press ignition, the momentary loss of power while cranking the engine results in the Mobius turning off. This is prevalent with Novatek based cameras like the G1W series and if I'm not wrong the same issue was there with the A118C too, before it was tweaked.

For now, if the car is in ACC, I've made a habit of going to OFF and then cranking the engine. Once in a while one can tend to forget this quirk and get left with no footage for the rest of the immediate drive.

Yeah, I think the lenses are related to the M2 or MM, perhaps a better supplier was found. It's a good thing anyway.

Harsh, I'm not sure you can fault Mobius for the behavior you describe; AFAIK as all cap-equipped cams exhibit the same behavior. Like most things automotive, they're designed for petrol cars moreso than diesels since that's the largest part of the market by far. There are plenty of things in life where we must adjust our behavior to fit them in order to benefit from them, and this is just one more of those things. I've had to add "check the cams" to my list of things I do before the car moves an inch. Sometimes I forget that but I'm improving ;)

Phil

@harsh, consider installing an inexpensive delay timer to solve your ACC ignition issue. See THIS thread (and others here on DCT) for some discussion about this.

Yeah, I think the lenses are related to the M2 or MM, perhaps a better supplier was found. It's a good thing anyway.

Harsh, I'm not sure you can fault Mobius for the behavior you describe; AFAIK as all cap-equipped cams exhibit the same behavior. Like most things automotive, they're designed for petrol cars moreso than diesels since that's the largest part of the market by far. There are plenty of things in life where we must adjust our behavior to fit them in order to benefit from them, and this is just one more of those things. I've had to add "check the cams" to my list of things I do before the car moves an inch. Sometimes I forget that but I'm improving ;)

Phil

Don't think the Mobius was ever intended or envisioned towards usage in cars as a dash cam, at least to begin with. The capacitor (I understand) has always been a 3rd party add-on. I wouldn't be harping about this if the fix was unknown or undoable, I'm assuming that the team developing Mobius cameras can easily add this feature to their device if they want/wanted to, Viofo did it with the A118C and SG also has it implemented.

I've learnt to live with (as described) but the times one forgets and the camera turns off, that could very well be the time you need the footage.

@harsh, consider installing an inexpensive delay timer to solve your ACC ignition issue. See THIS thread (and others here on DCT) for some discussion about this.

IIRC it was you who'd originally directed me towards the posts covering the DIY timer a few months back. Would be nicer if the code could be baked into the firmware to support the feature so that such workarounds aren't necessary. This is the only chink it the M1's otherwise very reliable armour, IMO.

New A2 look brighter.

Yes but are our sure exposure parameters are the same on all 4 cameras all the time ? they should be otherwise it is somewhat of a gamble comparing.

But that being said i like both new lenses at least based on their FOV

Don't think the Mobius was ever intended or envisioned towards usage in cars as a dash cam, at least to begin with. The capacitor (I understand) has always been a 3rd party add-on. I wouldn't be harping about this if the fix was unknown or undoable, I'm assuming that the team developing Mobius cameras can easily add this feature to their device if they want/wanted to, Viofo did it with the A118C and SG also has it implemented.

I've learnt to live with (as described) but the times one forgets and the camera turns off, that could very well be the time you need the footage.
The Mobius was designed for automatic power-on and power-off right from the start. The super capacitor is certainly not a 3rd party add-on. Cameras (with a supercap) not designed for automatic power-off will just stop recording when power is lost.
There are, however, limits on how full-proof the start/stop configuration can be with such a small camera and it's inevitable space limitations. The supercap doesn't hold enough power to accommodate all situations and there is no constant backup voltage either.
For the above reasons, it is not possible to solve the cut power problem with some diesel vehicles by firmware - there is a lot more involved. It would be dead easy if the camera were a little larger, but the size/weight/versatility makes this camera unique.

I sometimes find myself questioning Tom Franks' methodologies and conclusions in the way he tests the Mobius. I've come to always consider what he says with a grain of salt.

Here we see a perfect example of what I am trying to describe.

He states - "This video was shot with four M1 cameras with FW 2.41 and all settings identical (Lens A was set in the config for all cameras). The Video mode FOV was set for Narrow (native 1080p resolution off the CMOS) rather that showing the slightly wider FOV scaled down to 1080p resolution."

In my personal experience with the various dedicated Mobius mSetup lens setting options I have witnessed a significant difference with each of them that has made me aware that each setting is specifically tweaked for each optic. For example, when I swapped a "B" lens optic into a "C" module base there was a very noticeable color shift to blue (and slightly less red) with the mSetup GUI still set to "C". Setting it to "B" returned the color balance to normal.

This suggests that comparing ALL four of these lenses set to "A" does not provide an accurate representation of the performance we will see when the GUI and firmware are eventually brought up to date to specifically accommodate each new lens option.

Last edited:
The Mobius was designed for automatic power-on and power-off right from the start. The super capacitor is certainly not a 3rd party add-on. Cameras (with a supercap) not designed for automatic power-off will just stop recording when power is lost.
There are, however, limits on how full-proof the start/stop configuration can be with such a small camera and it's inevitable space limitations. The supercap doesn't hold enough power to accommodate all situations and there is no constant backup voltage either.
For the above reasons, it is not possible to solve the cut power problem with some diesel vehicles by firmware - there is a lot more involved. It would be dead easy if the camera were a little larger, but the size/weight/versatility makes this camera unique.

Got it. Thank you!

Mine being a diesel car, if the Mobius is recording in ACC mode and I press ignition, the momentary loss of power while cranking the engine results in the Mobius turning off. This is prevalent with Novatek based cameras like the G1W series and if I'm not wrong the same issue was there with the A118C too, before it was tweaked.

For now, if the car is in ACC, I've made a habit of going to OFF and then cranking the engine. Once in a while one can tend to forget this quirk and get left with no footage for the rest of the immediate drive.

I don't mean that you are wrong, I'm sure you have this problem, it's been reported before and replicated, just interested in how etc.

Myself I own a Fiat Punto diesel, and I don't have this problem with my Capacitor Mobius.

I don't mean that you are wrong, I'm sure you have this problem, it's been reported before and replicated, just interested in how etc.

Myself I own a Fiat Punto diesel, and I don't have this problem with my Capacitor Mobius.

One cause is that the key is turned in the ignition and the cam powers up while the glow plugs are heating. A few seconds later some cars cut power to everything to allow the maximum for cranking the engine, resulting in a brief flicker in the power supply to the cam, which the cam takes as its cue to switch off.
In my car (a diesel which cuts power when cranking) capacitor Mobius has very poor reliability.
It is a problem with many dashcams.
The problem was of sufficient concern to me that I discussed it in private with @JooVuu and it's something which he seems to have been able to avoid.

....I don't have this problem with my Capacitor Mobius.....

Another problem that is admittedly less serious but still a bit of a concern is the time required for the capacitor to accumulate enough charge to save the last file.
Mobius' cap may well not have sufficient charge to complete a proper shutdown until the cam has been receiving power for around 25s even though recording begins after around 6s.

Admittedly the CF-100 takes 25s to both boot up and charge the cap, but cams such as the SG-RC, Panorama or JooVuu are ready to save the file around 10-15s after receiving power (JooVuu is recording after around 7s while the others don't record until the cap is charged around 10-15s) which is the same ballpark boot time of other mainstream cams which use batteries. The SG-RC, Panorama and JooVuu seem to be tolerant of flickers in the power supply.

The fastest boot time and ready-to-save that I've seen is the Transcend DP100 which requires only 4-5s for recording to begin, although admittedly it's battery based but worth mentioning while speaking of boot times. It's also tolerant of flickers in the power supply.

Back