Two Problems With A Brand New 552GW

Caravanj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had several Nextbase dash cams over the years, & every one has performed flawlessly, including my latest one which is 322GW.

Yesterday I took delivery of a 552GW, which I bought purely because of the Alexa function as our home has a number of Alexa compatible smart devices & cameras.

Anyway, after charging it I switched it on & set up the usual dash cam features & then proceeded to set up the SOS function which I also had activated on my 322GW, however, when I got to the end of the process SOS wasn't activated & I was presented with " An internal error has occured. The Emergency SOS services cannot be activated" message.

The phone I'm using is a Samsung A23 5G running Android 12 so I've also tried setting up the 522GW on my older smartphone (which ran the 322GW) running Android 9 but the same error message happened.

Therefore I moved on to setting up the Alexa function but it takes anything up to an hour for the 522GW to be discovered & then when it's selected it fails to be connected.

I also tried the Alexa function when setting it up on my old smartphone & again the same thing happened.

So, at this point in time, I have a 522GW that's just a basic dash cam that does nothing more than the bottom of the range would do & as the faults are the same with two different phones on two different Android versions, I'm left thinking it has to be the 522GW that's faulty.

I should add that I have already added the Nextbase skill to my Alexa account.

Well it turned out that there were three faults as the dash cam would not lock onto any satellites which could have caused the SOS & Alexa functions to not work as the dashcam didn't have a location.

Anyway on Monday Nextbase deemed the 522GW to be faulty & are replacing it & I did think it would be here by now but it's not which is disappointing.

The person to whom I gave my 322GW hads't got round to fitting it so I've borrowed it back util I get my replacement 322GW, so at least I'm not without a dashcam.

The 122, 222 & 322 have had very few problems posts here but the 422, 522 & 622 have provided a steady stream of problem reports.

My feeling is that they are far too complicated with too many features.

The 122, 222 & 322 have had very few problems posts here but the 422, 522 & 622 have provided a steady stream of problem reports.

My feeling is that they are far too complicated with too many features.
In fairness to my 522GW it was the faulty mainboard that didn't lock onto the satellites so the dash cam didn't have a location which is definitely needed for the SOS function & possible needed for the Alexa functions.

But the one thing that the 422, 522 & 622GWs have in common, that the others don't, is the additional Alexa feature. Amazon have an Echo Auto, for use in a vehicle, & that seems to have very mixed reviews which revolve around it not connecting to the Alexa app.

When I eventually get my replacement 522GW that does lock onto satellites & give a location, I'll be able to give a better assessment of how it performs.

The thing that bugs me now is still not having the replacement unit which has reduced my overall rating of Nextbase.

Don’t expect a brand new unit. It’s been said on here before that generally you get a refurb. But you may be luck.

Don’t expect a brand new unit. It’s been said on here before that generally you get a refurb. But you may be luck.
That's not good, have they not heard of the Consumer Rights Act.

If they intend to send a refurb they are required, by law, to inform me at which point I have the right to reject it & demand either a brand new unit or a refund.

However, I suppose it'll be hard to tell if it's a refurb.

Note both serial numbers ?

Note both serial numbers ?
The replacement will have a different serial number as Nextbase are, eventually, sending out my replacement dash cam via DPD who will collect my faulty one at the same time, which is why I'm hoping it's a new unit.
I've got the faulty unit packed up, in it's original box, with all the packing, plastic bags, accessories, leaflets & labels so it's going back in exactly the same condition that I received it, except for the seal on the box being removed.

Yes, the serial numbers will be different, but, as a simple example, if your returned unit is serial, say, 1000 and the one being sent out is, say, 100, then it's likely older and possibly refurbished.

Perhaps we shouldn’t knock a refurb, at least it will have been tested and should be working at peak. Which we can’t say about your original purchase. Your warranty does say that in repairing both old and new parts could be used, and refurbs could be used as replacements as well as new units.

Yes, the serial numbers will be different, but, as a simple example, if your returned unit is serial, say, 1000 and the one being sent out is, say, 100, then it's likely older and possibly refurbished.
Good point, I'll make sure I check as I had noted down the serial number.

Perhaps we shouldn’t knock a refurb, at least it will have been tested and should be working at peak. Which we can’t say about your original purchase. Your warranty does say that in repairing both old and new parts could be used, and refurbs could be used as replacements as well as new units.
I tend not to bother about warranties as in law they have no legal standing.

The Consumer Rights Act states what a seller, in this case Nextbase, has to do & with a faulty out-of-the box device, or a device that develops a fault within ( I think without checking) 30 days, it's the purchaser that decides how it's resolved, not the seller.

As the purchaser I can choose to accept a refurb or I can demand a brand new replacement or a full refund of the purchase price but Nextbase should do as Argos would do & sent me out a new dash cam.

If I do get sent a refurb then the lesson I have learned will be to buy from my local Argos & not directly from Nextbase.

However, I agree with you that a refurb will be ok & as a pragmatist I'll accept one as all I require is a working dashcam, but at present I have neither a new one nor a refurb.

Last edited:
Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that all warranty replacements within 30 days of purchase are new devices. I'm afraid without your order number I'm unable to check the status of your replacement, but DPD usually deliver within 3 working days.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that all warranty replacements within 30 days of purchase are new devices. I'm afraid without your order number I'm unable to check the status of your replacement, but DPD usually deliver within 3 working days.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support
Many thanks for your clarification. I have to admit I'd have been surprised had it not been a new unit with the dash cam being faulty out of the box.
DPD are delivering it today & the faulty dash cam, complete with everything it came with & in it's original box, will be returned to you by DPD.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 522GW 1
I 522GW 11
nokiokid 522GW 7
A 522GW 2
B 522GW 7
Back