Two SGGCX2 or SG9663DC?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any benefit of having the SG9663DC setup vs just having two indepedent SGGCX2 cameras other than the small price difference?

Trying to decide here. I am thinking an independent front and rear would be better.

Thanks

SG9663DC has
- a more capable sensor for even better night performance. (but only by a bit)
- Both front and rear videos will be in perfect sync for easier video editing (if that's something you like to do) (EDIT on 1 single card at that like kamkar1 said below)
- The rear camera is much smaller and you don't have to run the second power source
- Will have real parking mode via the 3-wire SGDCHW hard wire kit coming out in a few weeks. (low power chip state, low frame rate surveillance mode, battery discharge prevention, timer optoins)

Last edited:
And not least you will get the footage from 2 cameras on 1 memory card, this is important to me at least as i have been handling several single cameras for a long time, and as many in here can testify to those little spring loaded memory cards can be a pain if they launch, and i think we all tried that.
Some have lost memory cards that way, i wrote mine off after crawling on hands and knees on pea sized gravel for 45 minutes ( torture method ) but as i sad into car i looked down one last time,,,,, and there my brand new expensive 64Gb card was.

You can argue redundancy with 2 single cameras, and that is also true.

BUT ! say your front camera go bust or dont record, then the rear camera footage might not be worth much depending on what happen and how, and vise versa.
On the other hand the single memory card in a dual channel camera can take out both cameras if that go bust, in which case you have nothing at all.
Still i would take a dual channel any day over 2 single, not least if i have 0 to start with, if you already have one, then adding another single are a option.

But i would not have a "huge" SGGCX2 on my rear window as it at least have a 2 X large footprint compared to the DC rear camera.

I am not sure if the hardware dual channels cameras are based on have better options for warning of non recording camera, that i know at least on "old" hardware could be a problem as a camera would appear to be recording judging by visual things like LED and LCD screen, but in truth the camera stopped recording long ago.

Error warning i think are a big must have in cameras nowadays, not least since many actually do think the dashcam are a install and forget item, and sadly thats still not true with any hardware.

Nothing i heard, with the many people interested in here i am sure jokiin will do a post when he have signed off on the prototype and production start pretty soon after that.

trial production is happening now, once we have them ready we'll put the call out to anyone that wants to help field test

What is this SGDCHW?

Is this a whole new camera, should one wait for the new model?

With parking mode, where is the screen for this? My rear view mirror blocks the screen on my current street guardian, will I be even able to use the parking mode? I prefer the street guardian to be hidden behind the rear view mirror.

Thanks

SGDCHW is a special made 12V/5V DC 3-wire HardWire kit power supply with built in battery discharge prevention low battery cut off. It will enable specialized parking mode menu functions on the SG9663DC dashcam and other future Street Guardian dashcam products.

Parking mode can work in a few ways.

1: it can record all the time ( often with a few FPS and not fluid 30 FPS video )
2: it can be sitting idle and then be triggered by the G-sensor if some one bump your car ( dont take massive bump, i found just a good kick to the steel rim of my rear wheel will trigger camera )
3: it can trigger by motion detection, this are a bit flaky as depending on where you park there can be a lot of motion all triggering a event recording though none of the movement was related to your car.
4: i think it might also be possible to do both 2 & 3 at the same time so one or the other can trigger, that was possible at least on the Lukas dashcam i had way back in 2012

The SGDCHW are a stand alone kit so it will replace the usual PSU that get delivered with all cameras

I have never tried to use parking mode, just experimented a little with it on my lukas back in the day, and then forgot about it.

I have a sneaky feeling i will soon be able to dabble in that again.

How will the parking mode function on the SG9663DC? Will it work similarly to the Blackvues, where a G-sensor or motion sensor will trigger a buffered clip, or will it only do a continuous low fps continuous recording?

Back