two sources of power?

CharlieGirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know how I can create a setup where a dash cam (A119) can be powered from two sources - the main car battery when the engine is running, and when it is not running from a separate source (either a second lead acid battery or power bank)? I want the system to be automatic, as I'd forget to flick a switch and I don't want to drain my main car battery at all when the car's engine is off.

Get a battery pack. Cellink seems to be the go-to brand.

Get a battery pack. Cellink seems to be the go-to brand.

Thanks for the suggestion but the celllink isn't an effective solution for me. I don't drive long enough or regularly enough to recharge it.

I've already got a suitable power bank and a second lead acid battery and solar panel which I may install, but in either case I want to minimise the drain on those by powering the cam from the main car battery when it's running.

Thanks for the suggestion but the celllink isn't an effective solution for me. I don't drive long enough or regularly enough to recharge it.

I've already got a suitable power bank and a second lead acid battery and solar panel which I may install, but in either case I want to minimise the drain on those by powering the cam from the main car battery when it's running.
You need a 12 volt relay, connect the normally open pin to your fuse box on a fuse switched by the ignition or accessories, also connect that to one end of the coil, connect the normally closed pin to your power bank, connect the common to your camera, then connect the remaining end of the coil to ground (0 volts).

Hope you like soldering, I've never seen a relay with USB cables already attached...

You need a 12 volt relay, connect the normally open pin to your fuse box on a fuse switched by the ignition or accessories, also connect that to one end of the coil, connect the normally closed pin to your power bank, connect the common to your camera, then connect the remaining end of the coil to ground (0 volts).

Hope you like soldering, I've never seen a relay with USB cables already attached...

That's very helpful, thank you. I am still thinking this through but I'm more likely to use the second lead acid battery in this setup than the power bank so hopefully less soldering.

VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS Battery Discharge Prevention (BDP) Device for Parking Mode https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ZPLSITE
Here's a good solution and cheap compared to using a lead acid battery since they take longer to charge up and not really meant for low discharge, extremely large and combersom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS Battery Discharge Prevention (BDP) Device for Parking Mode https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ZPLSITE
Here's a good solution and cheap compared to using a lead acid battery since they take longer to charge up and not really meant for low discharge, extremely large and combersom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to use my main car battery at all when the engine is off.

Back