Two very close calls w/in 24 hours... Defensive driving saves the day

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
Normally I don't take the time to pull videos from my cameras, unless the incident is particularly breathtaking or egregious. Yesterday's lane-changer that nearly side-swiped me almost had me pull the card.

But, today, when I had yet another slam-on-the-brakes-or-splat close call, and both incidents were still on the card (my 64GB card only holds about 5 hours of recording), I figured what the heck.

So, for your viewing pleasure, I offer you Tampa's drivers:

what's your version of defensive driving? pushing the horn button? my definition is covering brake and slowing slightly through intersection, or when braking hard swerving out the way not hit anything or loose control.

The horn is defensive letting them know I'm there - since they obviously they didn't see me. With the wide angle lens and delay in the GPS speed stamp, it's not obvious how hard I hit the brakes.

In the first video, I swerved into the far right (right turn) lane, cutting of the driver in that lane. If I hadn't, or if that driver hadn't provided me room, that blue truck would have clipped my front end.

In the second clip, I slowed aggressively from 62mph to 42 mph - in the distance of the white solid line leading into the intersection. If the roads had been wet, or if I hadn't slowed at least as much as I did, there would have been a bad impact. The horn didn't do any good, other than to vent some steam and scare some sense into the other driver.

upload_2015-8-24_21-9-50.png

upload_2015-8-24_21-14-26.png

Looks like an aggressive driver behind the op already taken the right lane.
Op, in this situation I normally never take the middle lane(never mind the lines) I'll pretend that I am taking either lanes to stop the tailgating aggressive drivers behind me pushing me to middle lane and get into a possible collusion with idiots like that pickup truck that nearly hit you. If the pickup truck showd proper driving I'd stay in middle lane(only if desperate) generally I'll take the furthest lane and avoid the $h!t fight.

I told my wife, I could get into an accident every day at that intersection (and not be at fault). There are only two lanes turning left. The problem is 75% of the traffic making that turn end up racing to get into the right lane once they come out of the intersection. The right lane becomes the on-ramp to the interstate. So everyone jockeys to get over.

Changing lanes in an intersection is illegal, but most people already start scooting into the far right lane before they exit the turn. In my case, I was already in the right most turn lane, and as I always do, I wait until I am out of the turn before turning into the right lane. But, as you pointed out, the problem is the people behind me think I'm going to stay in (what becomes) the center lane, so they race up beside me on the right. The only 'safe' way to avoid an accident is to swing into the right lane while in the intersection. It's illegal, but it's the only way to keep from getting boxed in like I was in this video. You clearly understand Tampa drivers :)

It's not illegal here, are you sure it's illegal?

Changing lanes while in a intersection is illegal in most states in US, but there are too many drivers who changes anyway. There been close calls for me too as well.

It's not illegal here, are you sure it's illegal?

Oh yes, was actually my first ticket (as a teenager). I didn't know until I was stopped. Once in 'the box' of the intersection, you have to stay in your lane until clear. In fact, you're not supposed to cross the solid white lines which precede the intersection either.

Once in 'the box' of the intersection, you have to stay in your lane until clear. In fact, you're not supposed to cross the solid white lines which precede the intersection either.
I've never been to the USA but after watching so many videos from so many different states, I don't think I'd have any major problems driving there. Apart from some specific state laws, following the lines is pretty much a universal road law, as is not crossing solid lines. I don't know why this is so hard to understand for some drivers.

O yeah :rolleyes:

It is okay to help other drivers in traffic, but when you allmost have to get out of your car to guide them around, then it get to be too much.

I have 15% for the other ppl on the road, but i must insist on ppl drive their own cars in a safe manner.

If the other ppl on the road have to accommodate you so you get safe home from work in your car, you might want to change some things or take the damn bus.

Back