Two years later U1000 first issue

Gen2Raptor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. Hope all are well. What had happened was….

I’ve had a U1000 front and rear powered via OBD II in my truck for almost two years. No issues at all. Dedicated hotspot I kept in my truck to enable cloud and notifications worked without issues as well. Well at least no issues from the cameras; as the hotspot constantly overheated and shut itself off, I pitched another iPhone on an unlimited plan and am using its hotspot instead. iPhone is trickle charged by an Anker Powercore Elite III…doesn’t overheat and lasts for days after which time I swap out to an identical charged Anker.

But there’s always a “but” lol. unlike before, for reasons I may have overlooked, as soon as the cameras enter parking mode they disconnect from the new iPhones hotspot. I have the exact same settings as before (aside from obviously having added the new ID and password for the new iPhones hotspot), no energy saving modes, and have even tried disabling the battery protection which I always had on before. Same result.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

“pitched” should have been “purchased”. Big thumbs sorry lol

It's weird that your hotspot overheats. never have that problem myself (doesn't get nearly as hot as the cameras)

It's weird that your hotspot overheats. never have that problem myself (doesn't get nearly as hot as the cameras)
It’s an Inseego M1000 5G that I bought for 5 or 600 a few years ago from Verizon. I’ve tried swapping to a new battery but same result. If I keep it plugged into a power bank it’ll overheat and shut off within hours. If I leave it unplugged it’ll only last a few hours. I did manage to finally find a fix to this iPhone hotspot shutting off after while. The only way to keep the phone broadcasting its hotspot, despite toggling on the hotspot option, is to leave the screen unlocked and to not leave the settings screen where the hotspot was activated on the iPhone. Which will now result in a much faster depletion of both the phone battery as well as the power bank it’s connected to. Ridiculous that selecting activate personal hotspot requires you to keep your phone screen on. What can ya do. Works for now.

*I only mention the price of the hotspot as it’s ridiculous to have paid that and have it be useful for a few hours max. May be a defect with this unit in particular

i have a huawei hotspot, hooked to my battery pack
they are not so expensive (as an example: HUAWEI )
I’ll take a look. The iPhone 12 I purchased to use as a hotspot works. However as that is only the case when it’s unlocked with the screen on and the settings screen on hotspot setup visible I’m sure it’ll expedite the battery degradation. Thinkware support is really good at replying with apologies but that’s about it. I have a 4K front and Rear setup and I inquired about adding a third camera to monitor the interior so I can see if there is a break in remotely when I get a parking alert. They told me that their less expensive cameras are capable of adding numerous cameras to the setup but this one, their “flagship” camera, is not. I may scrap the setup all together and look at other brands. I had a third Garmin Mini Dashcam 2 facing inside which worked great on the hotspot which was dual band. But on the iPhone hotspot if you choose the option maximize compatibility and run 2.5ghz wifi which the Garmin can only do then it’s a lifetime trying to waste for the Thinkware live feed to load remotely via 2.5ghz. Anywho… work in progress for sure lol

I forgot to mention: my hotspot only works when in 2.4gh
in 5ghz the camera disconnects

i don't know how the iphone hotspot works though, maybe it's dualband and this might create the problem with your camera.

Try setting the camera to 2.4gh

However; replacing your Thinkware with a garmin is IMO not a good idea . not the same quality at all

I forgot to mention: my hotspot only works when in 2.4gh
in 5ghz the camera disconnects

i don't know how the iphone hotspot works though, maybe it's dualband and this might create the problem with your camera.

Try setting the camera to 2.4gh

However; replacing your Thinkware with a garmin is IMO not a good idea . not the same quality at all
Ah ok. I was only using the Garmin as a means of viewing the interior remotely. The Garmin only accept a 2.4ghz signal while the Thinkware can be set to either bandwidth. My original hotspot broadcast both ghz bandwidths. The iPhone broadcasts a 5ghz personal hotspot. You can enable “comparability” mode on the iPhone hotspot at which time it broadcasts a 2.4ghz signal. However if you the go to Thinkware camera settings and switch it from 5 to 2.4 it’ll work BUT it’ll be a lifetime trying to load the remote view or get any notifications while away from the car. So I returned the garmin, switched everything back to the 5ghz, and so far so good.

I spoke with Apple support and Inseego support. Inseego advised the 5g hotspots were not designed for “prolonged” use and that’s why it overheats. But she couldn’t define what amount of time was prolonged so that’s laughable. And Apple confirmed that I need to keep the phone unlocked no Lock Screen and on the hotspot settings screen for the connection to remain active indefinitely. Good thing I’m not using that phone for anything else as the Active hotspot renders it useless.

There is an interesting thing I found. I have a Ford Raptor. Apparently, Ford has teamed up with ADT Alarms and have formed a new vehicle security company called Canopy. Not yet available… but for a monthly subscription you can have cameras which are installed in your vehicle live monitored like your home when you are away by the same ADT personnel that do the home alarms. Assuming finally they would have to modify the in car Wi-Fi’s that already come with our vehicles to stay on when the vehicles are shut off.

Back