bloodfilledrod

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello people.

Brand new to the website and I'm in the market to purchase a dashcam around USD 150ish.

I purchased a brand new Skoda Scala, and I chose the option to add a usb type-c plug right next to the mirror, as shown this.
https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/kodiaqrs_usb_c_mirror/

Is there any dashcam that features a type-c plug and not the lame mini - micro usb which will require an adaptor?

Thanks in advance.

Hello people.

Brand new to the website and I'm in the market to purchase a dashcam around USD 150ish.

I purchased a brand new Skoda Scala, and I chose the option to add a usb type-c plug right next to the mirror, as shown this.
https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/kodiaqrs_usb_c_mirror/

Is there any dashcam that features a type-c plug and not the lame mini - micro usb which will require an adaptor?

Thanks in advance.
Do you know the specification for that port? It should be capable of delivering 2A if you want reliable dashcam operation.

Whatever dashcam you get you will need a short cable to connect to this port. There are USB C to USB C cables, and there are USB C to Mini USB cables, so I don't think your choice is limited by the shape of the socket.

Do you know the specification for that port? It should be capable of delivering 2A if you want reliable dashcam operation.

Whatever dashcam you get you will need a short cable to connect to this port. There are USB C to USB C cables, and there are USB C to Mini USB cables, so I don't think your choice is limited by the shape of the socket.
The port can deliver reliably 2A.
I used ampero with my phone and all 5 type - c ports on my car actually perform excellent.

Today I spent a long time to browse all retail electronic stores at my local mall
Not a single mini usb cable in sight.
All were type C.
Micro USB.
Type a USB.
lightning port or a combination of the 4.

I could use an adaptor but even these are rare for mini USB.
I've ordered from Ali express but man it's annoying that mini USB is the standard for cameras but hardly any one sells mini with anything other than type a

The Viofo A139 has a usb-c port, but I’m not sure if it works with a standard USB-C connection.

The Viofo A139 has a usb-c port, but I’m not sure if it works with a standard USB-C connection.
The Viofo A139 is a very good dashcam that works off a USB-C cable, however it doesn't tend to work with USB-PD supplies, but it should still be possible to use it via an adaptor. Not sure what sort of adaptor, USB-C to USB-A followed by USB-A to USB-C should do it! It works fine off a USB-A to USB-C cable. It may work off the car USB-C plug, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Need someone to do some testing and work it out, don't think I've got the bits required.

There is also the Viofo T130 dashcam.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224484566342 maybe something like this would work?
This is great. Thanks!
The a139 is quite higher than my budget.
The Viofo A139 is a very good dashcam that works off a USB-C cable, however it doesn't tend to work with USB-PD supplies, but it should still be possible to use it via an adaptor. Not sure what sort of adaptor, USB-C to USB-A followed by USB-A to USB-C should do it! It works fine off a USB-A to USB-C cable. It may work off the car USB-C plug, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Need someone to do some testing and work it out, don't think I've got the bits required.

There is also the Viofo T130 dashcam.
The t130 is also quite higher than my budget.

I guess next generation will have the type c as a standard, as more and more new cars have type c.

Why would this be a problem?
It might run your battery flat over a weekend!

I guess next generation will have the type c as a standard, as more and more new cars have type c.
Yes, although it may take a while for type C to reach many of the lower specification cameras since most get plugged into the 12v accessory port with the supplied adaptor, so it doesn't really matter what connector is used at the camera.

I think I did see one low cost camera using type C, but I can't remember what it was.

Back