U1000 Falls Off

Bigfork

Reaction score
Country
United States
My U1000 keeps falling off window bracket when I'm on a bumpy road, etc. It seems to slide on and off too easily. Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone just using velcro to mount unit to the window?

Welcome to the forum Bigfork.
Not sure if it is the case with the thinkware cameras, but some other brands provide a thin ( 1 mm or so ) EVA foam pad to put on the camera back side or mount to pick up any slack there.
Anything DIY you can do to tighten up / fill the gap / increase friction it it should be fine too, i would not recommend doing that with drops of CA glue, though when hardened that should fill the gap somewhat, but that kind of glue when it harden it give off fumes that can ruin lens coatings.

Maybe some tape will do it too, though not sure of durability.

Do you often take the camera off the mount ? this usually increase wear on the mount / camera bond, but they do also wear out over time, cuz i have once experienced that.

Some of us do use the strong velcro from 3M some times, the mushroom kind not the regular old hook and loop Velcro, the U1000 dont it have its GPS in the mount ? if so nixing the mount will mean no GPS.

I would recommend contacting the supplier of the camera as it sounds like the Mount may be faulty if the camera slides off of it that easily. It shouldn't be hard but you should feel a click as you slide the camera off the mount. I've never had this issue reported before but think the mount is more likely the cause than the actual U1000.

Re falling off - you need to be a bit brutal and forcibly slide it across till you hear and feel a solid click, not a soft bump stop. Happened to one of ours until we’re tried harder. We have 4 x U1000 on our 4 cars.

Like many have said already. Make sure the U1000 is properly latched in place. When I got mine, the latch is so tight that it requires a bit of force to lock it in place. I have to use a bit of 2000 grit sandpaper to file down the locking mechanism so it will slide off easier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L U1000 11
T U1000 3
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
Back