U1000 first impressions.

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I only had it for a few days. But so far I’m impressed with the U1000 2ch.
Had an F800 2ch for a couple of years. Later moved to a BlackVue 900S 2ch because I wanted the cloud option. And realized that the TW had a much better power management. The BlackVue started turning off in the middle of the night after a few months. That didn’t used to happen with the TW. Even after not driving the truck for a little over 24 hours.
both cameras installed in new trucks with new optima batteries.
The TW app. Still sucks just like it did before. I don’t see how they haven’t been able to manage to make a better app.
the initial hotspot setup took me a good 20 times. But once past the first hotspot. Adding the others was simpler. Just have to make sure the only hotspot available is the the one your adding.
in my case, including the phone. Is a total of 3 hotspots. The phone, a mobile one and the one in the truck.
now that I’m done with the set up. I keep the phone’s off. When the truck is on. it connects to the trucks hot spot. As soon as I turn the truck off. It connects to the mobile hot spot.
the one thing TW should add.. is a way to give priorities to the hotspots. This way I won’t have to turn off the mobile one when the truck is on. And back on when the truck is off. But at least for now the camera seems to jump from one to the other with no problem.
Video quality is awesome. I’ve tried 4K and QHD. There isn’t much difference. I’ll probably stick with QHD. The license plates seem to appear richer in color and slightly sharper when driving on the freeway.
I’m using a SanDisk 256G but I’m going to try the Samsung 512G .
The cloud seems to be working well and stable but still to soon to know. I do get the notifications on my iPhone even with just opening the trucks door when I’m leaving.
I had to set the impact sensitivity while driving to minimum. Because it would beep just by going over a speed bump a little to fast or the slightest bump or hole on the road.
I should also add. I called TW support twice. Hold time was surprisingly short. And agents were great.
purchased the cam from blackboxmycar got the extended warranty and delivery was prompt.

Thanks for the review; I never tried the QHD option, maybe I should as it sounds like it could be better.

I’m using a SanDisk 256G but I’m going to try the Samsung 512G .
I have a neighbor who has also recently purchased the 2 channel U1000 with radar module (same as I have) and watches this forum for advice but only has the default 64GB Micro SD card installed and is looking to purchase 2 x 256 cards.
Presumably, you are using an A2 card? Could you please supply the link to the cards you are using?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It is an A1 card. How long have you been using it?
No errors?
I was going to advise him to get the A2 card!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07FCR3316

I am currently using from my previous 2 channel dashcam 2 x ..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07CN2N36Z
They do not state whether A1 or A2 standard!
The A1 is the same one that blackboxmycar sales. I figured they tested.
I only had it for a few days. But in my previous cams I’ve had SanDisks and never had an issue.

I only had it for a few days. But in my previous cams I’ve had SanDisks and never had an issue.
Thanks. I am not questioning the manufacture (Sandisk), it is the use of the earlier A1 standard card instead of the later and faster A2 card.

Why did you figure they tested an A1 standard card and not an A2?
Is there a review anywhere?

That’s the one they sell. I would think they test what they sell. I might be wrong. But is what makes sense.
im still reading and next going to try a SamDisk 512GB extreme. I was going to try the Samsung. But I’m going to stick with the brand I’m familiar with for now.
Is supposed to arrive to tomorrow. I’ll post if any issues. The real test is when summer arrives... that’s usually when issues come up.

That’s the one they sell. I would think they test what they sell. I might be wrong. But is what makes sense.
im still reading and next going to try a SamDisk 512GB extreme. I was going to try the Samsung. But I’m going to stick with the brand I’m familiar with for now.
Is supposed to arrive to tomorrow. I’ll post if any issues. The real test is when summer arrives... that’s usually when issues come up.
Great. Thanks for responding. I look forwards to your findings. Are you using the latest firmware?

I just ran through the video from Blackboxmycar and 128gb Sandisk Ultra U1 XC1 10 A1 is the one they recommend. So I would have thought going up in size now you have installed the firmware u1000_3_1.00.15 should not pose a problem.

I just ran through the video from Blackboxmycar and 128gb Sandisk Ultra U1 XC1 10 A1 is the one they recommend. So I would have thought going up in size now you have installed the firmware u1000_3_1.00.15 should not pose a problem.
So I installed the SanDisk 512GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-512G-GN6MA.
Formatted the card and drove about 1/2 hour. Not much but I didn’t get any errors. I don’t drive much. So let’s see how long it takes to fill and hopefully without issues.

I'm sorry to be not enthusiast like you. I've the U1000 + rear camera + radar.
I'm thinking to sell all and get a BlackVue: I tried one and Thinkware cloud is 10 years behind BV. Also support, here in Italy don't answer to any question.
I never received a push notification on my smartphone, and all is set well. Also video quality is quite good, 4K is not much different from 2K. In transition you lose a lot of details. Is better to use 2K.
I've also a Q800 Pro on the other car, and quality is more or less the same.
One thing is real better, as you have written: energy saving is a step away!

So I installed the SanDisk 512GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-512G-GN6MA.
I have just installed a similar package. In the UK it is SDSQXCZ-512G-GN6MA

Sandisk.JPG

Formatted it on my PC and drove around.

I then formatted in the Dashcam whilst driving and carried out several Manual recordings. When I checked out the allocated space ( after formatting on the Dashcam) using Windows 10 and the space allocated for complete use of a 512GB card is correct.

Works perfectly.
Sandisk-1.JPG

Dashcaminfo1.JPG

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L U1000 11
T U1000 3
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
Back