What parking mode setting are you using that you were able to pick up buffered and TimeLapse video??? My understanding is with the radar unit you have to either choose energy savings mode (using the radar) or another mode (not using the radar)
There was no buffered mode. There was time lapse of cars driving by for about a minute but that was the only time I got that "time lapse." Maybe it was a one time thing. The radar doesn't pick up any buffered recording since it only functions in "energy saving" mode. It will start recording the moment impact is detected. Wish the rear had one too..

Only if the other vehicle is doing less than 1 m/s.
(That is 2.2 mph)

At 22mph you would only get about 1 second, minus the wake up time of 1 second, 1-1 = :unsure:.

With the radar installed, the impact recording will be buffered as long as there is motion! Therefore wake up time is not a factor as it will still be a buffered clip, recording before and after the impact. If you do have the radar installed, we recommend reverse stall parking.

There was no buffered mode. There was time lapse of cars driving by for about a minute but that was the only time I got that "time lapse." Maybe it was a one time thing. The radar doesn't pick up any buffered recording since it only functions in "energy saving" mode. It will start recording the moment impact is detected. Wish the rear had one too..

The Radar does recording buffed parking impacts when motion is present. It allows the dash cam to buffer and prepare for an impact. If there is motion but no impact, than the camera will not save the buffered footage.

With the radar installed, the impact recording will be buffered as long as there is motion! Therefore wake up time is not a factor as it will still be a buffered clip, recording before and after the impact. If you do have the radar installed, we recommend reverse stall parking.
Only if it sees the motion soon enough, and to see a car approaching with a 10 meter range, to get 5 seconds in the buffer, a 10 mph approach would be a bit fast. Of course it will work in a car park where everyone is obeying the 5mph speed limit.

Can you install the radar in the rear window instead of the front window?

Technically you can, however this would requiring mounting a main unit in the rear as well. The Radar Module power cable is quite small (approx 6 inches) so you won't be able to run it from the front to the rear. If you were able to find a way to mount the main unit on the front, and the radar in the rear, it will only cause the main unit to record if motion is detected in the rear.

Wow, I actually picked up a U1000 and radar but failed to read into the trade-offs. I have PLENTY of battery power and both my front and rear cameras have caught things that I like just based on motion only. While it definitely has it pros, I am much better off with the typical pre buffered recording and good amount of backup batteries.

SirCamCam has a good point. I have no need to have the radar module in the front. According to Thinkware it is for prolonged parking like at airports etc. But in those situation I pull in forward so I have access to my trunk. Any impacts would be to the rear of my car. Why in the world would I want that on my windshield. I wonder if that cable can be extended and run to the rear.
I just go my unit, have a Q800 that I am replacing. I know that even with the Radar Module installed I do not necessarily need to enable it via Power Saving mode. I suppose when long term parking I could back my car in the driveway and switch to that mode.

I don't think I will use it, seems to me that with it running if someone walks up to your car then slim jims the door open the unit will not detect until maybe he slams the door shut when he leaves?
If it is for detecting parking hits, and when I go grocery shopping my trunk is facing the area that is most likely to be hit, shouldn't the radar module be part of the rear camera?
Oh and why, if the radar detects motion does it not save the clip if there is no impact? I think that should be settable by the user.

The way the dash camera works in low power mode is that it is effectively “on”, but not writing to memory. The write to the SD card is energy expensive, so it just puts the recording into RAM, analyzes it for motion or impact, then dumps it from RAM. The RAM capacity is 30 seconds of data, I believe. If motion or impact are detected( depending on your settings), it writes to the SD card.

To save even more energy, the radar unit is used. The radar uses LESS energy than the camera does in low-power mode. The camera is effectively “off”, no data stream is being analyzed in RAM, and the radar determines when to wake up the camera for recording.

The radar wakes the camera up when it detects movement, and the camera starts putting a video recording into RAM, but the camera has to decide to write that data to the SD card or not. Since the radar won’t detect people walking by, only things like vehicles passing, it might be viewed as pointless to save a clip every time a vehicle drives by. Instead, it uses the accelerometer in the camera to ask if the detected vehicle strikes your car with an impact, and then it would save the RAM buffer to SD card.

Really, there are few use cases that I can see for the radar unit. One is where you store your vehicle in a parking garage for long periods of time. This might be if you live in a city and use public transport all week, and only take your car out on weekends. Another might be if you regularly leave your car at the airport for days. In the garage case, you can back into a spot and the radar can detect all traffic in front of you. At the airport, you have to be selective about where and how you park, but there are usually lots of options. In these cases where the car is infrequently used with long periods of inactivity between and while leaving it in public, the radar unit can sip juice off the battery to extend parking security.

For the people that use their car regularly, recharging their battery every day, the radar doesn’t make much sense. In this case regular parking mode would be fine, or adding a battery backup would work better if you anticipate needing parking security over a weekend where you aren’t using the car, such as if you park in the street.

I see 'radar' as a hopefully better detection scheme than motion detect which is very tough to get working properly. It has been shown to work quite well in some cams, but IMHO should always be backed up with a G-sensor just in case. And really, it is a separate topic than pre-buffering and powering when parked, but with radar and pre-buffering together and both working well, it could prove to be the perfect parking mode for those not wishing to use low-bitrate recording instead :) Powering cams when parked will always be an issue though, so until someone develops a 'magic processor' that uses almost no power we're going to have to choose between parking time and performance, or add another powering scheme to our cams :( Always a compromise in there somewhere....

Phil

Radar can work to detect people, the Vantrue T2 uses close to zero power and detects people very well, only problem is the detection-recording delay. The automatic door openers on supermarkets use the same detectors to detect people, so I don't understand why the U1000 radar doesn't detect people.

I notice I can rotate the radar direction 180 degrees which means I can point it out the back window. Has anyone tested that to see if it will work out the rear? The Airport Scenario does not make sense to me as I put my bags in the trunk so backing in makes it difficult to load and unload my vehicle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T U1000 2
H U1000 1
S U1000 4
iamback U1000 9
David Markham U1000 27
Back