UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam not advisable?

real124

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi!

I am new to dash cam and found this forum. I was reading an article from BlackboxMyCar and it says :
Got a Thinkware U1000 Dual Channel dash cam? Because the U1000 offers 4K in the front camera and 2K in the rear camera, you can opt for a UHS Class 3 SD card, like the Samsung Evo Plus.
But be sure not to use a UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam - the main board may not be designed to process faster than Class 10 or UHS-1 card and the dash cam may heat up excessively.

I was under the impression that if the memory card is faster than the dash cam, the memory card will not make or force the dash cam to process faster than it was designed.
The speed of U3 card is not fixed and will it will just run on the speed that dash cam supports.

I see the point of the article to get ideal card and not waste money for a faster card that will not add any benefits. My concern is the " may heat up excessively" part.

Can anyone can shed some light or experience with this?

Thank you!

But be sure not to use a UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam - the main board may not be designed to process faster than Class 10 or UHS-1 card and the dash cam may heat up excessively.
Stupidest quote I read lately.
The speed of the card should be higher than the maximum bitrate the camera is capable. More important is that the card not to be fake. Class 10 or UHS-1@U1 standard means 10MB/s minimum write speed. Even a QHD camera writes with about 30 Mbps, that means under 4MB/s.

Hi @ursamajor , thank you for reply. I totally agree with you. This is the only article I read about the disadvantage of using a faster card in a device.

Blackboxmycar is a big dash cam supplier in Norh America so I would assume they have basis or a good source for their statement. But I don't know if it's correct or not.

Does anyone with Full HD dash cam experience heating issue using UHS-I U3?

Does anyone with Full HD dash cam experience heating issue using UHS-I U3?
not in my experience, Thinkware do prioritise the firmware to work with their own cards though which can lead to poor results with some other brands of cards so that may be something specific to how Thinkware cameras behave

not in my experience, Thinkware do prioritise the firmware to work with their own cards though which can lead to poor results with some other brands of cards so that may be something specific to how Thinkware cameras behave
Thank you @jokiin , that's a good point. I keep reading about Thinkware's compatibility issue with third party memory cards.

I too found that article.
I've got a SanDisk extreme pro and it works without problems. but the camera does indeed get very very hot.
Especially in parkmode . right now in 37c weather the camera often shuts down, though this probablly hasn't got much to do with the card ...?

Heat is the only plausible reason for that restriction. A high speed card might be designed in a way that uses more power than a lower speed card. This would cause the camera to heat up more.

Back