UK-based dashcam stockists / buying advice

vibeone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm one of those annoying new users after some buying advice. In my defence, I have repeatedly read most of the pages on this fair site before posting! I'll also try and stick around to help others.

Anyway... I've been looking for a cheap dashcam for a while, and I can see its a minefield. This site has helped a lot though, and I'm fairly sure I've narrowed it down to either of the top 2 cameras listed here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

Namely... a DVR 027 or a F500LHD. I prefer the F500, but the lack of GPS is annoying. Does this matter to insurance companies? Also do any UK insurers offer a discount when cameras are installed?

I like the F500 because the youtube videos suggest the quality is pretty much awesome. Does anyone disagree?

I'm also after a UK stockist of either of the above cameras. This site lists reputable sellers, and I will go down that route if needed, but would prefer something delivered faster, from the UK to the UK etc etc.

Also interested in knowing if people have an alternatively camera suggestion? Like I said, pretty much new to this, and just reading pages and pages of stuff to learn - trying to prevent myself buying a crappy fake.

Many Thanks!

------------------------

Bit of extra information that may be useful (or may bore you senseless)...

I'll be installing it in a 2002 focus (mk1.5) at the top middle of the front screen. Will then feed the wire around and probably wire it directly into the head unit ignition feed (the 12v sockets are constantly live on my car, so I don't see much option). I believe this will make it auto-start and stop recording.

I'll buy an extra cable and perhaps mount so I can take the camera into other vehicles if required.

I'll ideally leave the camera in place most of the time, so any ideas to camouflage either camera would be useful! :)

As stated, I'm in the UK, so heat almost certainly won't be an issue, and probably nor will sun glare!

Last edited by a moderator:
vibeone said:
the lack of GPS is annoying. Does this matter to insurance companies?
I can't understand how a GPS is good for an insurance company helping in some event. And of course why is so annoying the lack of GPS. Because of speed, or location info?

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
vibeone said:
the lack of GPS is annoying. Does this matter to insurance companies?
I can't understand how a GPS is good for an insurance company helping in some event. And of course why is so annoying the lack of GPS. Because of speed, or location info?

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for the reply.

It's annoying because I'm a bit of a geek and would like to use some software to view videos with google maps overview next to it. I've seen a few options to do this.

As for insurance companies - that was my question really. GPS data can be faked anyway, so I assume insurance companies would ignore it anyway.

That said, finding either camera in the UK is difficult!

In my opinion, GPS is a nice geek feature, but having your speed and location posted on the video could actually hurt you. If you are involved in a collision and you are not at fault, the other guy could try and use your own speed and GPS coordinants against you. Depending on the severity of the wreck, lawyers will try and use any scrap of evidence against you so they can gain the upper hand. Or, even if you are at fault, the speed and coordinants could be used against you to unintentially increase your fine more than what was initially filed. When accidents happen, people get hurt, and lawyers are involved, **** could hit the fan really quick.

AmericanDriver said:
In my opinion, GPS is a nice geek feature, but having your speed and location posted on the video could actually hurt you. If you are involved in a collision and you are not at fault, the other guy could try and use your own speed and GPS coordinants against you. Depending on the severity of the wreck, lawyers will try and use any scrap of evidence against you so they can gain the upper hand. Or, even if you are at fault, the speed and coordinants could be used against you to unintentially increase your fine more than what was initially filed. When accidents happen, people get hurt, and lawyers are involved, **** could hit the fan really quick.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it that way. Surely though, the same is true of video evidence? I've already thought to myself whether video evidence could actually work against me - prove I was 1mm over a lane marking etc etc, 1mph too quick, too quick for conditions etc.

I take your point - and its probably a separate discussion thread on its own right there. To be honest, the camera I get will probably just be which of the 4 in the current 'best' list I can get hold of first.

Let me add one more question to the mix....

UK Specific, but I guess any europe/usa info would perhaps be useful....

If I wanted to go out right now and buy a dash camera, where would you suggest?

Do any 'real world' UK stores stock them?

Thanks again for any help :)

Also, anyone fancy having a guess at what some of these cameras are/based on/faked from....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... car+camera

The TaoTronics branded one interests me... any ideas?

and specifically.... is this an F900FHD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorder-Camcor ... 76&sr=8-24

Assumed it was fake....

Last edited by a moderator:
Video proof will always be admissible in court or providing proof of fault, but speed and GPS coordinates may hurt you. I purchased my two FineVu cr500HD dash cams from Amazon. Since I am an Amazon Prime member, I got free two day shipping. I prefer Amazon over EBay because they actually have customer service people who actually answer the phone if you ever have any issues with shipping or buying something. I have no idea about local UK based stores who sell dash cams, so I cannot comment. I would stick with Amazon or EBay. They keep your credit card info private and safe.

Yeah I'd much prefer buying from amazon too. We get free next day with amazon prime here - small country see :p

I might send a few emails linking to the info page here and see if anyone can promise a genuine camera!

So I'm from the UK too and when I was looking at dash cams I basically came to the conclusion that most UK sellers only sell the standard definition "fakes" and that you will find it difficult to get a good one from a UK seller. There just isn't the market for them here, not yet anyway. I bought mine (DVR-007 (DVR-027 variant)) from DealExtreme. DVR-027 is around £38 delivered. Sure, it ships from China, but that's not a terrible thing really - you just have to wait a little longer. If you want to be sure of getting a high quality dash cam, at the moment I would suggest buying from China.

Of course, do let us know if you find a UK stockist selling a real item!

Hey... yes I read your fairly epic thread! Loved the VCR effort!

I guess you are right. I've just got into a vicious circle now - not wanting to order from China, only to have wasted more days deciding!

Did you have to pay any import duties? If so, what are we talking?

Thanks.

I've bought a lot of gadgets from China on eBay, DealExtreme etc and not once have I had to pay any import duty. China -> UK seems to be mostly left alone.

I guess that settles it. Just have to decide which one to get then!

Back