UK - Dash Cam position + Nextbase rear module

VDLA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I've just learnt that in UK law you're only allowed the dash cam to be upto 40mm into the area swept by the windscreen wiper blades.

That pretty much means the most central you're allowed to have it is at the very top of the screen, near the top of the rear view mirror.

But I'm finding that then makes the Nextbase rear-view camera module be useless because it is obviously blocked by the mirror.

Before learning about that law, I naturally placed it behind the mirror, just millimetres below the bottom of the mirror so that the rear module can get a view - Just like many photos on the Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures thread.....and so that my view of the road wasn't harmed

Does anyone follow that law?
Don't you think it's badly designed for UK cars the way that the rear-view model plugs into the camera on the driver's side of the device?
Is there something I'm misunderstanding about where the dash cam should be positioned with the rear-view module?

Plus, I don't get why this law doesn't apply to Sat Nav's? They're typically miles bigger than dash cams and people have them mounted in the very middle of the windscreen

Thanks

I think your best solution is on the passenger side, top of windscreen, so the rear module is just to the left of the mirror.

I hadn't realised about this UK module on the right problem. Must have been designed for LHD as you say.

SatNav's and phones in cradles seem to be on the dash which only blocks a view of the bonnet which seems OK. Dashcams are mounted higher and can block forward vision.

It is an MOT failure if you don't!

However, most MOT testers will be sensible and count it as 4 cm into the visible swept area, so from the driver's seat, if part of the swept area is blocked by the mirror, you don't need to count that as swept area. The difficulty with that is that MOT testers come in different heights, so this isn't a good definition, and isn't in the law.

You could always remove the rear view camera for the MOT.

And hope the police don't decide to carry out a roadside check!

I think on most cars it is reasonably easy to comply, but there are several designs of wiper blade movement, some sweep more area than others, and that can cause problems complying. Maybe fit shorter wiper blades on the passenger side to give some extra unswept space?

Plus, I don't get why this law doesn't apply to Sat Nav's? They're typically miles bigger than dash cams and people have them mounted in the very middle of the windscreen
It does apply, but with the satnavs being easily removable, normally suction mounted, they normally get ignored for the MOT. Might be an issue if the police wanted to find fault though.

Hi Everyone

I've just learnt that in UK law you're only allowed the dash cam to be upto 40mm into the area swept by the windscreen wiper blades.

That pretty much means the most central you're allowed to have it is at the very top of the screen, near the top of the rear view mirror.

But I'm finding that then makes the Nextbase rear-view camera module be useless because it is obviously blocked by the mirror.

Before learning about that law, I naturally placed it behind the mirror, just millimetres below the bottom of the mirror so that the rear module can get a view - Just like many photos on the Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures thread.....and so that my view of the road wasn't harmed

Don't you think it's badly designed for UK cars the way that the rear-view model plugs into the camera on the driver's side of the device?
Is there something I'm misunderstanding about where the dash cam should be positioned with the rear-view module?

Thanks
theres an extension you can get where you can stick the dash cam behind your RVM and move the rear cam around, heres the link https://nextbaseparts.com/collectio...n-view-extension-cable?variant=31944782413939 Its sold out currently but you can set it up so youre emailed when youre available

Back