UK Hot Weather

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I might be able to do a high temperature test on my dashcams as we're forecast to see record-breaking temperatures early next week.

The highest temp ever recorded in the UK was 38.7degC, but forecasters are saying there's around a 50% chance of exceeding 40deg on Tuesday. That's not particularly high compared to other parts of the world, but it's not what we're used to on our little island. Very few homes and workplaces here have air-con. Thinking about that, I could probably go for a drive to cool down rather than sit in the shade at home!

Thankfully it's a short-lived heatwave for us and we will be back to normal conditions by mid-week. Parts of mainland Europe already have heatwave warnings, but there too things should stabilise soon.

My ploy is to periodically powerup in the garage, aircon on. Garage doors open of course. Saves having the metal in full sun.

Cool bath at the ready and cold water in the fridge.

In a year or two when I move I'm getting a split system house aircon fitted.

I've put some more ice cube bags in the freezer (y)

My A139 seems to have faired ok so far, the car was parked up in the heat on wednesday (think it was 30 deg C max) and it switched to driving mode when I left.

I don't religiously check the footage though, but I haven't seen any issues.

Been at 38C for most of July here in Utah.

I am not a fan of high temps and I loathe the period from early June through late August. Dashcams don't last long here...

Brian

I might be able to do a high temperature test on my dashcams as we're forecast to see record-breaking temperatures early next week.

The highest temp ever recorded in the UK was 38.7degC, but forecasters are saying there's around a 50% chance of exceeding 40deg on Tuesday. That's not particularly high compared to other parts of the world, but it's not what we're used to on our little island. Very few homes and workplaces here have air-con. Thinking about that, I could probably go for a drive to cool down rather than sit in the shade at home!

Thankfully it's a short-lived heatwave for us and we will be back to normal conditions by mid-week. Parts of mainland Europe already have heatwave warnings, but there too things should stabilise soon.

"First-ever ‘RED’ warning for exceptional heat in UK with all-time records poised to topple"

Pretty remarkable headlines in the news today about this and the heat map is intense! They specifically mentioned York (among other UK cities) on the evening news.

This is the projection for Monday afternoon.
redwarning.jpeg

Here in New England we've been fortunate to have a long stretch of some of the most picture perfect, dry, comfortable sunny weather I can recall in a long time.
70º - to about 83º Fahrenheit during the day (21-26 º C) with low humidity and 55º to 65º (about 12.5 ºC to 15.5 Cº) at night. Perfect sleeping weather.

That's all about to change however as we too are headed into a heat spell. We also appear to be in a drought. We badly need some rain!

Last edited:
You know @TonyM, I had to chuckle when I read the title of this thread wherein you engage in some classic British understatement by characterizing what's happening as "UK 'Warm' Weather".

I'll bet Americans and folks in other parts of the world would probably describe it as "HOT" weather. Perhaps VERY HOT weather. :smuggrin:

The UK press are going overboard with this. One paper dedicated its first 5 pages a few days ago.

The UK Met Office are saying 'it's possible' so the sensationalist papers have grabbed it.

I'm in a red warning area and I have fairly accurate thermos, in the shade ...... I'll let you know what it got to.

The UK press are going overboard with this. One paper dedicated its first 5 pages a few days ago.

The UK Met Office are saying 'it's possible' so the sensationalist papers have grabbed it.

I'm in a red warning area and I have fairly accurate thermos, in the shade ...... I'll let you know what it got to.
The warning is red because there is a danger to life, the warning should be taken seriously. It is likely that around 3000 people will die due to this heatwave.

Compared to other places, it is not particularly hot, but the UK is not used to having air temperature above blood temperature, our bodies are not acclimatised, last week was decidedly cool, and people who are susceptible to heat and would already have died in other places are currently alive. Most buildings in the UK are not designed for hot weather, so the red warning needs to be taken seriously indoors too.

I think we understand the risks and should take the serious advice seriously but some papers, like the Guardian, are giving the impression via sensationalist headlines 'we are all going to die'

While 38C or even 40C is not uncommon in many places in the world closer to the equator, if your typical hot day in England is, say, high 20's getting up to the high 30's is going to be unpleasant. In Phoenix (2020), there were 145 days where the temperature exceeded 100F (37.8C) and 53 days over 110F (43.3C). F-that!

Brian

if your typical hot day in England is, say, high 20's getting up to the high 30's is going to be unpleasant.
Typical hot day in much of England is mid 20s, in the north and west of the UK low 20s is hot. I'm 1 degree north of the bottom of Alaska.

Right now, here, it is 32C outside, 29 in the greenhouse (glasshouse), Cooler in the greenhouse is something we almost never see, but the sky is more white than blue, the heat is already in the air coming up from Portugal in the south, not too much coming from solar radiation, and the humidity is down around 30, so there is a lot of evaporation keeping the greenhouse cool. I don't think testing dashcams with low humidity and low solar radiation is going to give good information.

'we are all going to die'
Most people won't, but thousands will, and covid will not be helping, I see that in Aberdeenshire, currently 1 in 8 people has a covid infection, and many of them will have a high temperature before the heat arrives!

Expected to be 2000 deaths I believe.

You know @TonyM, I had to chuckle when I read the title of this thread wherein you engage in some classic British understatement by characterizing what's happening as "UK 'Warm' Weather".
I originally titled the thread UK Hot Weather, then decided against it because it's not that hot compared to the rest of the world.

First unscientific results from Monday early afternoon in York, after 2 hours parking mode in full sunlight - my driveway faces due south.

Shade air temp 33.8degC
Cabin temp (headliner above driver) 68.0degC
SG9663DR (installed in closed compartment out of sunlight) 55.4degC - still recording
A139 2CH (on windscreen in direct sunlight) 93.9degC - still recording, minor focus shift on front camera

Both cameras in low bitrate parking mode, powered by LiFePO4 dashcam battery.

Thankfully monsoon has arrived, the humidity doesn't help though. One of the worst summers I can remember.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 20.15.12.png Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 20.16.33.png

I originally titled the thread UK Hot Weather, then decided against it because it's not that hot compared to the rest of the world.

Well, tomorrow it is projected to be 111º F (43.9º C) in Phoenix, Arizona which is pretty damned hot but I think I would still characterize what the UK is experiencing right now as hot too!

It's true that everything is relative. Here is an interesting map from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration showing the hottest temperatures ever recorded in the United States as of June, 2022.

The highest temperature ever recorded in the U.S. (a world record) was 134º F (56.7º C) on the afternoon of July 10, 1913, at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, California according to the United States Weather Bureau.

June 2022 was the Earth's warmest June on record. It's looking like July will be the hottest July on record.

hottest_temp_states.jpg

Last edited:
June 2022 was the Earth's warmest June on record. It's looking like July will be the hottest July on record.
That's nothing for the human race to be proud of.

I have just requested ice cubes to be made at my M8s house, CUZ when i go there tomorrow and the day after i dont think much work will happen in the field. Actually Wednesday the all time temperature record for Denmark might also fall, they have 34 deg C pegged for the afternoon, the 36.4 deg C record is from 1975, so about time it take a fall.

We will do our July 4 celebration, which in my case mean i will wear my fiercely USA patriotic T- shirt, and then i might hit the Single malt a little earlier than normal.
Also just spiffed one of my air rifles up so it is ready for duty tomorrow.

Overall though, that heating world, well it is not us Danes that contribute on the warming aspect, the last couple of months have not been anything to talk about in regard to heat,,,,, pretty mundane actually.

Last edited:
A UK weather broadcast in 2020 showed a weather map that projected hypothetical temperatures that might be seen by July, 2050.

The actual forecast for Tuesday July 19, 2022 is almost identical for large parts of the country.

UK_temp_projections.jpg

Back