UK Hot Weather

If the UK royals collect money like that, the Italian mob would be proud. :)

Are you sure about that?

I doubt that any tax $ from any commonwealth country other than the UK go to the Royal family.

Canada estimates that the queen costs Canadian citizens about $1.55 per person annually, but that funds activities in Canada, it doesn't go to the Queen.

Most commonwealth countries do not have the Queen/King as head of state anyway, so the Royal family is obviously not going to cost them anything.

And remember that the Commonwealth brings member countries many benefits which more than pay for membership, for example:
"Bilateral costs for trading partners in Commonwealth countries are on average 19 per cent less than between those in non-member countries."

The Commonwealth would not have a population of 2.5 billion people (30% of all people), unless being a member was worthwhile!

Interesting to note that 13% of Australians were born in other Commonwealth countries, it is a community:
In addition to some trade benefit, some countries also use the Commonwealth as a counter-balance to other power.

Payment to the royals is more like a “charitable” foundation, setting aside such as millions/billions. The foundation pays for all the traveling, security, accommodations, etc. Not a single penny goes directly into a person’s own pocket.

The following link is from Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (equivalent to UK’s BBC).
How much should taxpayers pay for the royals?

Not very long ago, the royals not only dominated their own subjects in UK, but they also controlled people here, as Dashmellow mentioned.

Not very long ago, the royals not only dominated their own subjects in UK, but they also controlled people here, as Dashmellow mentioned.

It wasn't just here in the North American colonies. The British Empire, controlled by a nation smaller than the state of Michigan once held sway over hundreds of millions of people and tens of millions of square kilometers in territories all over the world in a brutal regime of exploitative trade practices, resource extraction and violence. I spent a short time watching the pomp, extreme wealth and status on display during Queen Elizabeth II's funeral and the harsh, repressive legacy of the British Empire was all I could think about.

Last edited:
Not very long ago, the royals not only dominated their own subjects in UK,
You have been watching too much Robin Hood, who is supposedly a fictional character, and King John!

The stories may have some truth to them, but that was back around the year 1200, which may not be very long ago to you, but I certainly don't remember those times! You also have to remember that the Normans established a lot of good things in Britain, Westminster Hall where The Queen lay in state dates from those times, so even if you do consider the Robin Hood stories to have some truth, overall it was positive.

In addition to some trade benefit, some countries also use the Commonwealth as a counter-balance to other power.
Not convinced that is true, being a member of the Commonwealth does not bring any security guarantees.

Places like the Falkland Islands do benefit from "UK"| security, they would currently be occupied otherwise, but that is not through Commonwealth membership, it is because they contribute to the British military through choosing to be a British Overseas Territory, with a 99.8% vote in favor at the last referendum.

Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, but they get their security through NATO membership.

Australia is a member of the Commonwealth, but is not a NATO country although they are a partner. They recently decided that didn't bring them enough security so they also joined AUKUS.

Well anyone that by force trade opium for tea,,,,, got my vote :p

@Nigel, your self delusion and denial about the brutal true nature of British imperialism and it's consequences to the peoples it dominated is both laughable and appalling at the same time.

british_colonialism.jpg

The Bengal famine of 1943 was the final British-administered famine in India and claimed around three million lives. When Winston Churchill was asked to stop shipping desperately needed foodstuffs out of Bengal, he said Indians were to blame for their own deaths for ‘breeding like rabbits.'

britis_colonialsm2.jpg

Last edited:
You have been watching too much Robin Hood, who is supposedly a fictional character, and King John!

The stories may have some truth to them, but that was back around the year 1200, which may not be very long ago to you, but I certainly don't remember those times! You also have to remember that the Normans established a lot of good things in Britain, Westminster Hall where The Queen lay in state dates from those times, so even if you do consider the Robin Hood stories to have some truth, overall it was positive.

Not convinced that is true, being a member of the Commonwealth does not bring any security guarantees.

Places like the Falkland Islands do benefit from "UK"| security, they would currently be occupied otherwise, but that is not through Commonwealth membership, it is because they contribute to the British military through choosing to be a British Overseas Territory, with a 99.8% vote in favor at the last referendum.

Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, but they get their security through NATO membership.

Australia is a member of the Commonwealth, but is not a NATO country although they are a partner. They recently decided that didn't bring them enough security so they also joined AUKUS.
People created a fictional figure of Robin Hood was just to carry out imaginary justice against those ruling class gathering their wealth through scam, theft, and robbery of regular people’s property. Thanks to kamkar of mentioning opium war. During years around 1840, the British East India Company cultivated opium in British colony India and smuggled it to China. After China confiscated and destroyed illegal opium, the British government stepped in to assist opium trafficker with military force. Under the gun point, China signed several treaties to cede the Hong Kong Island and surrounding smaller islands to Britain, including a twenty-one million dollar payment to the Britain, with six million paid immediately, and the rest through specified installments thereafter. Just wondering, how much it is as today’s dollar. By the way, British government has been criticizing human right abuse in China on a regular basis.

There is a old Danish band singing a little about this British empire building days.
Or that is i prefer to think it was a British, but many a nation have rummaged around in Africa over the years. most often creating nothing but problems.

The Belgians in Congo,,,,,, OMG

Somewhere in a text it go.

It is evening now, and the sun have just set.
We have just pitched camp somewhere on the savanna

Bwana Bwana great warrior he have put down his weapons.
Lying under his mosquito net with the tent door open.

Safari, safari, safari.

Looking at the natives around the camp fire and thinking, When ?
Has he ever felt so lonely and outside ?
There are no more gold to get and no more game to shoot.
Only his own dream of communion left to break down.

This was way back in 1982,,,, the good old days.

The lead singer, i have smoked weed with him a few times back in the day, and we had a mutual " friend" named Eijnar they have written a song about.

Last edited:
This was way back in 1982,,,, the good old days.
A couple of decades later, the fight against the new British trading empire - the one with which we control almost the entire world, not just a quarter like the old empire:

The WTO started here.

I might be able to do a high temperature test on my dashcams as we're forecast to see record-breaking temperatures early next week.

The highest temp ever recorded in the UK was 38.7degC, but forecasters are saying there's around a 50% chance of exceeding 40deg on Tuesday. That's not particularly high compared to other parts of the world, but it's not what we're used to on our little island. Very few homes and workplaces here have air-con. Thinking about that, I could probably go for a drive to cool down rather than sit in the shade at home!

Thankfully it's a short-lived heatwave for us and we will be back to normal conditions by mid-week. Parts of mainland Europe already have heatwave warnings, but there too things should stabilise soon.
Late I know but on this occasion at least forcasters were correct... :cool:

Attachments

• Record Temperature.png
    Record Temperature.png
    601.7 KB · Views: 7
Back