UK law for in car cam ?

Yeah, I'll remove my dashcam when they make every Asian taxi driver remove the handful of CDs they generally have swinging from the rear view mirror

Within seconds, you can 'block out' or completely ignore a static object in your view - tax disc, Rear view mirror being typical examples but loads of objects constantly swinging around dangling from the mirror HAS to be a very dangerous distraction as your eyes will be constantly drawn to it - OR you will have to make a very conscious effort to 'block' it out

Is there any need to stereotype all Asian taxi drivers in having a CD dangling? You say you can block our static objects, couldnt the same be said for objects swinging from the rear view mirror.

I have boxing gloves with the English flag on them swinging about, but isnt a distraction to me, most of the times I forget its even in front of me !

Come on guys lighten up CD,s on the rear view mirror are for (retro) music and boxing gloves are only allowed on Ring (as in boxing) roads , Does this signal the end of the road for Fluffy Dice :(

Come on guys lighten up CD,s on the rear view mirror are for (retro) music and boxing gloves are only allowed on Ring (as in boxing) roads , Does this signal the end of the road for Fluffy Dice :(

your dice are safe I'm sure ;)

When my friend's teenaged son got his driver's license and after working his ass off after school bought his first car, I gave him a set of fuzzy dice to hang from his rear view mirror as a gift. As a child of a different generation he looked at me totally cross eyed as he didn't understand what they were all about until I suggested he look it up on the internet. Then he almost got a ticket because it turned out that where I live hanging things from your rear view mirror is now illegal. Unbelievable!

Last edited:
Hi jokiin hehe I was just trying to defuse any potential arguments developing...... its not what dashcamtalk is about......I have never been a fan of dangling objects in the car so have never owned a fluffy dice :( I do however remember the days when car rear windows were covered with stickers of all the holiday destinations the car owners had visited making the rear view mirror unusable......... I dont know how to spell ( inutile)o_O Ipol

I think a reasonable defense to the presence of a dashcam on the windscreen would be to put it behind the rear view mirror, as others have suggested. I have a bridge tag (electronic toll payment device) in that location currently and it has passed MOT tests like that, where the tester is a stickler for these things and frequently fails me then retests after tossing my suction phone mount onto the back seat.
If you're mounting in the 'pink area' (swept wiper area) mentioned earlier in this thread the maximum intrusion is 4cm, which is bigger than some of the tiny cameras available now anyway..
As far as the visible screen issue, some dashcams can be configured to display GPS information which could be considered a drivers aid, others can be turned off after a prescribed time. If you're really unlucky with your choice of camera then can I suggest black PVC tape?? ;)

When you motor goes in for its MOT annual test and there is anything 'dangling' from your mirror it will 'fail' the test in reality though most centers will or would remove the 'dangles' from the mirror and proceed with the testing, telling you why they have removed it and to point out it is an illegal practice.

On the issue of 'visible screens' then I guess most of the informed on here will have noted that 'Snooper' have introduced a 'journey recording camera' facility into one of their sat nav's (model number SC5750 DVR Ventura) I have no idea if you can watch whilst it records (why would you anyway!) or only watch play back footage. Have no idea as to the quality, technical stuff etc.

By the way - I AM STILL LOOKING - where is it Jokin?;);)

Back