(UK) 'Prosecution Quality'

The Korean "box" design concept is an odd idea in various ways. And the Chinese "bling" designs are another. The Western focus on stealth and "discreetness" seems the most logical, but then again, I as a Westerner, am biased.

Last edited:
The Western focus on stealth and "discreetness" seems the most logical, but then again, I as a Westerner, am biased.
Crime level in South Korea is very low. So probably no need for discreteness.
Last December a dashcam - a GT300W - was stolen out of my car in a small blind end village with 1,000 inhabitants, about 6 km from Berlin. Perpetrator not found, case closed, damage € 200.00, deductible € 150.00. That is life in a so-called "civilized" western world.

Last edited:
I think it's just a shame that the Transcend camera performs so well but is let down by the design
Let's say , as a conclusion , that Transcend DrivePro 200 is a best- buy dashcam if the formfactor is not an impediment for you , potential buyer !

Reactions: KvR
I have a great idea for a unique DIY project. Somebody (like maybe @niko...hint...hint) should take the guts from the Transcend DrivePro and put them into a more discreet DIY shell....with a better mount. ;):)

Bracket / mount is not big deal. More problem is new casing. I can do now only glass-fibre stuff, but this is not practical for small modeling. I have a dream to buy a good 3D printer, but my dream breaks down every time when I look into my wallet :)

Let's say , as a conclusion , that Transcend DrivePro 200 is a best- buy dashcam if the formfactor is not an impediment for you , potential buyer !

I think if Transcend read DCT and see our reports / feedback, then best smart way for them would use same hardware / firmware used on DrivePro and incorporate in into B40 / A118 body. Product performance is truly a great. Only form-factor lets it down.

I think it's just a shame that the Transcend camera performs so well but is let down by the design

Hehe, how can you read my mind ? 99% just wrote same as I see you comment now here:)

I've got a 3D printer, ok for prototyping but not good enough to actually use

If in some stage you get tired of your 3D printer ( I know you have a good one ), - then you know where to donate it to ! ;)

to be fair 90% of cameras have questionable design ideas also, none are perfect

yeah, different people have different needs and views of what is "perfect" for them. Also a cultural and local market fashion-factor plays a lot of role. In China you a nobody if your dashcam dont have a swarovskyi "crystals". In Korea you need a big LCD ( the bigger - the cooler you are ), etc.

I respect the fact that what is desirable in one market is loathed in another, can't be all things to all people and there is no right or wrong design, just different ones, would be a boring world without choice

@ constitutes 'prosecution quality'.

I guess anything that is same quality or better as videos made by Police cars DVRs.

I dont know how much these days Police DVRs are moved further, but few years ago they still were using D1 resolution, maybe some 720p. Maybe now things changind ( depending on country ), but I am sure many high quality dashcams available to the public are not worse than the ones Police use, maybe in some cases are even better.

I've provided video and stills from a couple of CCTV systems to the police for use in prosecutions, the only requirement for the footage was that the police could view it without installing any software. I think if anyone here received a dashcam that recorded in similar quality to the cctv sytems I look after, they'd immediately send it back :). They record @ D1, but in very heavily compressed mjpeg and hence the footage is very blocky, it is also a low frame rate and most of the cameras are 380tvl with 1/4" CCDs and reproduce most colours as a shade of blue. It was still good enough for a thief to change his plea to guilty just before going to trial and we once even had some police officers comment on how good is was, although that was about 6-7 years ago, when they probably still saw most recording in B&W on worn out video tape. Many CCTV systems only record in CIF (352 x 288).

I've provided video and stills from a couple of CCTV systems to the police for use in prosecutions, the only requirement for the footage was that the police could view it without installing any software. I think if anyone here received a dashcam that recorded in similar quality to the cctv sytems I look after, they'd immediately send it back :). They record @ D1, but in very heavily compressed mjpeg and hence the footage is very blocky, it is also a low frame rate and most of the cameras are 380tvl with 1/4" CCDs and reproduce most colours as a shade of blue. It was still good enough for a thief to change his plea to guilty just before going to trial and we once even had some police officers comment on how good is was, although that was about 6-7 years ago, when they probably still saw most recording in B&W on worn out video tape. Many CCTV systems only record in CIF (352 x 288).

If police still using a D1, or lets say some advanced cars went into HD, then these days regular everyday driver having FullHD good Q dashcam should have no problem in presenting evidence.

Back