(UK) 'Prosecution Quality'

Yes I agree that many people are like sheep and if "Which" says its the best buy, then that is the one they'll buy. Personally, I want to be given the facts and make up my own mind from those, rather than be told " this is the best one because we say so".

Frank

Depends on the product. If I want a new toaster, I'd go to my local Library, check the Which? Mags for toaster reviews, make a note of the 'Best Buys', go to shop, buy one of the recommended toasters. Preferable to gazing at 50 toasters in a shop, wondering which one makes the best toast?

I probably wouldn't choose a DashCam on the basis of a Which? recommendation, however, I'm sufficiently interested to want to know their opinions.

Depends on the product. If I want a new toaster, I'd go to my local Library, check the Which? Mags for toaster reviews, make a note of the 'Best Buys', go to shop, buy one of the recommended toasters. Preferable to gazing at 50 toasters in a shop, wondering which one makes the best toast?

I probably wouldn't choose a DashCam on the basis of a Which? recommendation, however, I'm sufficiently interested to want to know their opinions.
In the days when I subscribed to Which, the testers were selected from subscribers who were sent out to buy & test the products under review. Tests on toasters, washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc.etc.. are valuable because they were being tested by people who knew how to operate them and knew how to get good results from them.
The situation changes though when an SLR camera gets a poor rating because the testers (or some of them) didn't understand all the numbers & settings but a snapshot camera gets a higher rating because there is no focus or aperture etc.. to adjust. To me, that is testing the testers rather than testing the product. :)

Frank

The situation changes though when an SLR camera gets a poor rating because the testers (or some of them) didn't understand all the numbers & settings but a snapshot camera gets a higher rating because there is no focus or aperture etc.. to adjust. To me, that is testing the testers rather than testing the product. :)

Frank
To the average purchaser, that could be good advice! It always amazes me how many people still buy big SLR cameras, presumably just because that is the thing to have rather than because they are professional photographer who can make use of SLR specific features. In the days of digital, SLR is a stupid concept for most purposes, but works well in advertising.

If you don't know about a subject then Which still gives good advice and they have done a lot for UK consumers over the years but it does appear that their people who test technology generally have no real interest in what they are testing. Also applies to their car tests which I find amusing rather than useful - may well be written by a retired person who drives everywhere at 25mph and has always bought Ford!

When doing my research into Dash Cams before buying one (DOD LS460w) I frequently reading that in the UK the footage has to be 'prosecution quality' in order for the authorities (insurance company, police, magistrates) etc. to accept them as evidence in a case.

Thing is I haven't found any kind of standard r guide as to exactly what constitutes 'prosecution quality'. It seems to be a completely ambiguous term as far as I can gather.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
Our courts will take any evidence, however poor, and treat it for what it is. For example, however poor, if you can see the line markings then if you subsequently measure those lines you can work out speeds to the accuracy of the frame rate, you just need an "expert" to give a judgement on the cameras frame rate accuracy and measure the actual lines.

'prosecution quality' will simply be advertising, possibly illegal advertising since it gives a wrong impression?

Here's the Transcend DrivePro 200 one:
How easy is it to use?
We found the Transcend mostly easy to use, with handy features such as auto-on - where the dash cam starts recording when you switch your car on - and loop recording which means it automatically writes over the oldest footage if the memory card fills up. Consequently, once you've put the DrivePro 200 in place you can leave it to its own devices and it should record automatically.

Cons: Poor video quality at night. No GPS location tracking. Difficult to fit and remove from mount

Testing a camera for a day or so - they wouldn't know about the joys of having your beloved tech drop off the screen mid-drive when temp variations cause the suction cup to lose adhesion!
And what about all those 'easy to use', handy, features?
Are these same features not essential to a dashcam?
auto on - yes
loop recording - yes
(although I'm glad they explained what these thihngs were, I honestly had no idea what "auto on" meant :rolleyes:)

And how do you judge one cam against another? Well, I've done it & so have many others, you stick them all to your screen and drive. In theory, all the cams get exactly the same input - although even a foot or so can make a lot of difference to what a cam 'sees' - especially where the sun is concerned.

Which? might once have been a valuable tool when deciding what to buy - but these days, you can pull up user reviews on most things - and people who have paid out their hard-earned cash tend to tell the real story - I'm not too proud to admit to buying some bits of junk. If I tell the world, it might save a load of others from making the same mistakes.

Forgot to add. "prosecution quality" ? Since when? The last prang I had in my car was recorded on a camthat could just manage 640 x 480. Not the greatest of pics - but clear enough for my insurance.
And, as already said - cctv footage is used all over to get convictions...
Robbery-Sayers-Netherton-2-120214.jpg

Last edited:
In the days of digital, SLR is a stupid concept for most purposes, but works well in advertising.

I am sorry but this is a completely broad and uninformed remark. There are many reasons pros and non pros use an SLR which have nothing whatsoever to do with whether it shoots film or digital.

I am sorry but this is a completely broad and uninformed remark. There are many reasons pros and non pros use an SLR which have nothing whatsoever to do with whether it shoots film or digital.
These days most digital cameras can shoot movies, but even in the days of film you didn't use an SLR to shoot movies!

These days most digital cameras can shoot movies, but even in the days of film you didn't use an SLR to shoot movies!

The bells and whistles or the fact that a cell phone or point and shoot camera can shoot movies is completely irrelevant to why people may need the capabilities of an SLR.
Calling SLRs a "stupid concept" is uninformed, as is this remark.

Last edited:
I think we're going off topic here. My comment about Which and SLRs had nothing to do with film v digital or stills v movies.
What I was trying to get over was that a high quality camera with a good quality lens, capable of taking really good photographs in the right hands, would be rated below a cheap point & shoot camera with mediocre performance because the testers didn't know how to operate the SLR.
Therefore the better item gets a lower rating due to the incompetence of the testers.

Frank

I think we're going off topic here. My comment about Which and SLRs had nothing to do with film v digital or stills v movies.
What I was trying to get over was that a high quality camera with a good quality lens, capable of taking really good photographs in the right hands, would be rated below a cheap point & shoot camera with mediocre performance because the testers didn't know how to operate the SLR.
Therefore the better item gets a lower rating due to the incompetence of the testers.

Frank

Yes, good idea, let's stay on topic.

You are right about the testers. It is common for many people testing products to have no real world experience with the things they are reviewing. In my view another problem today is the concept of amateurs rating and reviewing products who really don't know what they are talking about. For example, I was shopping online for a Dyson vacuum and was given pause by a customer who liked the product but complained that it had no onboard tool storage. It turned out that the unit does indeed have onboard tool storage but the guy was too stupid to figure out the clever scheme they used to accomplish it. The internet has certainly changed the way we buy things and decided to buy things.

:D I wonder how many frames per hour they managed?

Perhaps we should initiate a separate thread to discuss cameras, photography and film making. Umm...still cameras have been used in the film making process for decades. The frame rate is (often) irrelevant to the process or the effects achieved. One example is the technique known as "bullet time" used in the 1999 film The Matrix which used numerous (350) Nikon SLRs in sequence to freeze time in motion. Think Eadweard Muybridge.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these Which? reviews. Whether we like it or not, Which? has enormous influence in the UK, & a Which? 'Best Buy' award guarantees strong sales.

It's bound to raise the profile & sales figures of DashCams in the UK market, which is a good thing overall, even if the recommended cameras don't entirely correspond with DCT favourites.

Some of the observations are questionable. Transcend night video performance 'poor'? Not according to the Techmoan review, or Amazon customer reviews.

I find Transcend DrivePro night video recording to be one of the best I ever tested. In some cases beats even 2-3 times higher priced Korean / Taiwanese dash cams. There are some negatives to DrivePro, like bulcky design, bracket, etc, but from built quality, reliability and video quality day / night it for sure one of the Top and if considering a price,- then at the moment it is no.1 in my opinion. Also dont forget its based on capacitors, which most dashcam users would want to have.

The Nextbase was the only camera they list as a Best Buy out of all the options they've reviewed!

They should probably pay Niko to do some proper reviews :)

Do you know "Which" Human Resources department contact number ? :)

When doing my research into Dash Cams before buying one (DOD LS460w) I frequently reading that in the UK the footage has to be 'prosecution quality' in order for the authorities (insurance company, police, magistrates) etc. to accept them as evidence in a case.

Thing is I haven't found any kind of standard or guide as to exactly what constitutes 'prosecution quality'. It seems to be a completely ambiguous term as far as I can gather.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

@ constitutes 'prosecution quality'.

I guess anything that is same quality or better as videos made by Police cars DVRs.

I dont know how much these days Police DVRs are moved further, but few years ago they still were using D1 resolution, maybe some 720p. Maybe now things changind ( depending on country ), but I am sure many high quality dashcams available to the public are not worse than the ones Police use, maybe in some cases are even better.

I find Transcend DrivePro night video recording to be one of the best I ever tested. In some cases beats even 2-3 times higher priced Korean / Taiwanese dash cams. There are some negatives to DrivePro, like bulcky design, bracket, etc, but from built quality, reliability and video quality day / night it for sure one of the Top and if considering a price,- then at the moment it is no.1 in my opinion. Also dont forget its based on capacitors, which most dashcam users would want to have.

I have a great idea for a unique DIY project. Somebody (like maybe @niko...hint...hint) should take the guts from the Transcend DrivePro and put them into a more discreet DIY shell....with a better mount. ;):)

I know. I was just sayin'...not really being serious.

Still...if you can build a camera that performs this way, it would be nice to have it in the right package, even it needs to be DIY for now. I 'spose that's why we look forward to the GuardTraks advancing this concept. :)

Back