UK - Why can't drivers understand how roundabouts work?

There is plenty of that around , I sometimes wonder how they manage to drive at all !!!

No excuse for his couldn't care less attitude but the road markings are very confusing on that roundabout.

Due to the roads angle to the roundabout i was like WHAT roundabout at first o_O

I think too many markings on road before and in rounabout just confuse ppl, we dont have that over here, at least not in my part of the country, maybe thats different over near Copenhagen.

Dunno if this work with just the video and "scrambled" Danish speak

What it say if you have to exit on the first road well then keep right, if you are going for any of the other exits you can keep left on the approach lane and in the roundabout.

Needless to say in peak houres at a 2 lane roundabout here, things fall apart as many are clueless and then just use the default rule of keep right.
This is allso why i in general is against 2 lane roundabouts, cuz in real world testing it will NOT get more traffic thru, it will just create dangerous moments.

Last edited:
What it say if you have to exit on the first road well then keep right, if you are going for any of the other exits you can keep left on the approach lane and in the roundabout.
The rule over here is the same. If I had anything to say in the matter I'd order that every two-lane roundabout should have the right entry lane directing traffic directly to the first exit, in a way that would prevent anyone in that lane from going straight. It isn't difficult to do and it's proven to be surprisingly effective.

Dunno if this work with just the video and "scrambled" Danish speak

That is showing the same error as in OP's video. I.e. where an exit has two lanes, not using the second lane. Watch when the car goes forward (North.)
If that is the suggested strategy, then why have two lanes on the exit at all?

Surely the whole point is that if you are on the inside of the roundabout, you don't needlessly cut across a lane where someone else may be going?

Getting to the outside in time for the turn is fine when it is clear ... but when it isn't clear - don't!

Yeah, i actually heard dooing a extra lap in a roundabout is good luck.

If you think UK roundabout were bad, come to USA! Roundabout aren't common and many driver really screws up navigating. I can't count the number of times people nearly blew through yield signs because they didn't realize I had the right of way being inside first. Or people who suddenly switches lane, and at least once a week, I see people going to the left to make a left turn rather than going to the right (reminder, in USA we drive on the right and go on right side of the circle island). This could lead to head on accident on smaller roundabout that has only 1 lane around.

DOT (department of transportation) claims roundabout helps, I am willing to bet police can show report that suggest accident more than doubled in the first year due to ignorant people who can't be bothered to look up from the cell phone and pay attention to one of the 50 signs explaining how to use roundabout.

Most of the small roundabouts I've seen (being put into new, fancy neighborhoods) they end up working just like a stop sign because people don't know what to do and they freeze when they see a car coming from the other side.

Red car was in the correct lane but the other one wasn't.....
If they crossed each other's path, they were both in the wrong. The red car exited from the straight/right lane and the silver car stayed inside the roundabout while travelling in the exit lane.

If they crossed each other's path, they were both in the wrong. The red car exited from the straight/right lane and the silver car stayed inside the roundabout while travelling in the exit lane.

The red car had a choice of exit 2 (straight on) or exit 3 (right) and went straight on. The silver car should have gone straight (exit 2) but didn't...if they both wanted exit 2 then the silver car should be in the left lane as he enters exit 2 and the red in the right lane as he enters exit 2 ....... what we call "2 lanes on 2 lanes off" in the UK. Clear as day from the road markings :)

Back