Ultra Battery B-124 - doesn't always power on

Abby606

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR900S-2CH
Hi all,

I bought a Power Magic Ultra Battery B-124 battery, it's connected to the power socket in the rear of my car which is powered with the ignition on.

I don't drive my car every day, so after a while the battery will die, which is fine. However when I start the car, the camera doesn't always come on. It seems to happen if I've not driven for a day or two. One day it took 25 minutes to switch on before I noticed and on other occasions it won't come on until I try and connect to the battery with the app via bluetooth.

What I don't understand is, why the camera isn't on if the ignition is on? To me I should never be driving and not have the camera working because the battery takes a while to wake up.

Am I doing something wrong or is the unit faulty perhaps?

Thanks

The camera draws power from the battery and not the car's power. I think the battery has to have a minimum charge before the camera can power on. Also check that the camera plug is pushed all the way into the battery's receiver socket. I always find mine needs to be pushed in a littler further every once in a while.

The camera draws power from the battery and not the car's power. I think the battery has to have a minimum charge before the camera can power on.

Thanks, I'm guessing that's what's happening. It may be better that I don't bother using the battery at all then because I've a greater probability of needing the camera to work while I'm driving than while I'm parked. Not having the battery provide the camera with power for 20-30 minutes while it sorts itself out isn't great.

Maybe I can do some re-wiring and have the camera connected to the battery and power socket in parallel. Perhaps that way the camera and battery will have power when the ignition is on and then the battery would feed the camera when the ignition is off for as long as it can.

It should not take that long though. I’ve had a fully depleted battery and within a minute or two the camera powered on. I think 2% is the minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that is quite useful to know, perhaps it suggests there is an issue with mine :( I'll see what the place I bought it from says!

What does the app tell you about the current it is receiving? Also I find the switch on the back (Hardwire vs. Cigarette) can be easily moved.

I find the app a little buggy, sometimes it gives me incorrect readings. Usually though it's 13.3V 5.0A input and 13.7V 0.4A output with the ignition on, 0 input 13.3V 0.4A output with the ignition off, giving me about 14-15 hours of runtime.

Voltage readings look normal. Runtime a little low not sure if that’s normal for your cam. I get 20 hours with cloud connected.

You were right on the money, it is a DR900S-2CH, I forgot to update my profile since I bought it :)

I'll give it a few more weeks and keep an eye on it and see if it improves.

You know after I posted, I checked your profile and saw the 600 so I edited my post. [emoji16]

Back