Unable to play dashcam video files

jk_sigtermans

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

I have noticed some strange scratches on my car, and therefore I try to play some of the video files recorded by the dashcam.
Normally this is not a problem, but today I cannot seem to play the video files.

I have a DR590-1CH, v1.003. The viewer (Windows) is v 2.13 x64. I have placed the dashcam SD card in my Windows laptop, using a adapter (as I have always done).
The viewer says it cannot play the video files. Also both VLC Media Player and Windows media player cannot play the files. The latter suggests it might be a codec problem (but offers no further solution).
The only thing I have changed recently, is replacing the standard BlackVue SD card with a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card. Which should be possible according to specs.

Please help,

Thanks!
Kjeld

It could also be your files are corrupted for some reason, please try and share one of the raw files you have issues with, then we can see if it work on other peoples computer in which case yes it must be a problem on your computer.
BUT ! i am afraid it is corrupted files,,,,, are they all that way or is it just some files you can not play ?

Try using potplayer as i recall it come with its own batch of codecs.

It could also be your files are corrupted for some reason, please try and share one of the raw files you have issues with, then we can see if it work on other peoples computer in which case yes it must be a problem on your computer.
BUT ! i am afraid it is corrupted files,,,,, are they all that way or is it just some files you can not play ?

Try using potplayer as i recall it come with its own batch of codecs.

Thanks, I used the PotPlayer and it says the file does not seem to contain any video. It appears to consist of all null bytes (zero).
So this means the dashcam is not recording and there goes the chance of finding out who or what scratched my car.
How is it possible that the dashcam creates these 'null' files and how can I solve this?

Thanks

Have you tried to test the memory card, with something like H2testw or maybe a disk benchmark tool.
You could be having a fake mekory card, or even a dead one too, i myself have experienced good brand memory cards ( trancend and PNY ) die on me before i got to fill the 64GB cards up just 1 time.

I assume you formatted your new memory card in the dashcam when you first put it in the camera.

Well I have just reformatted the card (fully), and then tried to copy some mp3 files to it. I was able to play those from the card just fine.
At this point I have reason to believe I have not properly formatted the card at first.
I have now removed the files and let the viewer format it again (it does a quick format). Then put it back into the dashcam. I will follow up in a couple of days. Thanks!

I am not familiar with the Blackvue cameras, but most cameras need you to format when you put a new memory card in the camera, and new models will also prompt you to do so with a MSG on the screen.
But that's of course not a option for a screen-less camera like yours, so to do it in the camera i assume you have to go via the APP, or as you say use the brand player / software to format on the computer.

you better keep a close eye on it in the next few days just to make sure, one can never be too careful.

It seems it's all working now, and being able to give it some thought these last couple of days: back when I got the SD card, I remember formatting it in Windows first, and then cancelling that half way, because I felt it was taking too long. I did a 'fast' format after that, which appeared to be succesful, but apparently you cannot cancel a 'full' format half way; I always thought that was entirely possible.
So this is all because I did something wrong, there is nothing wrong with the card, the camera or its firmware.
For the sake of completeness: yes the camera also does format the card itself. I think that process is triggered by not finding a config file.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about the trouble.
I think your Dashcam SD card is corrupted or damaged due to which you are unable to play your video clip. So, you need to first run the chkdsk on your Windows PC to check & fix the issue of the SD card.
But, if chkdsk fails to solve dash cam videos won’t play issue then you should format your Dashcam card.
Good luck!

Back