Unable to record

I have only just received my very first Mobius and unfortunately can't get it to record! I'm using a Kingston 32GB class 10 microsd card and am presuming that this is the problem. I've just ordered a Kingston class 4 from amazon which will hopefully arrive tomorrow so we shall see... ...I am kinda pissed though as Kingston are supposed to be THE reliable brand when it comes to Mobius and, although class 10 is often given as the reason for the fault, there are plenty of posts stating no problem at all, even up to class 10 64GB!!

...am I just unlucky or is the Mobius ActionCam really that flakey with microsd cards? :(

You'll have to post more information if you want us to help you. i.e. What exactly happens? Can you turn the camera on (blue then yellow LED). Is your camera recognized by your PC? Does Webcam Mode work (you have to remove the card)?

I'm using a Kingston 32GB class 10 microsd card and am presuming that this is the problem.

I hope not, as I'm awaiting delivery of the exact same card from Amazon. It's to replace the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 in my rear facing Mobius. Nothing wrong with the SanDisk, which is destined to be the spare card that I keep in the car.

Okay...the camera seems to be working fine, blue then solid yellow. It's recognized by msetup
Mobius#1.JPG

and, once I've updated the firmware to that shown and formatted the card in camera, everything seems to be working perfectly.

However, when I try and record something, although the yellow light flashes as it should and the red light on the back flashes as it should, there is nothing to play back from the card...even if I take the card out and put it in a card reader there is still nothing recorded?

...any ideas? ...can it just be down to the card??

...oh, and yeh, webcam mode works fine.

I've also tested the microsd card with h2testw.exe , giving the following results:

testSD.JPG

and also formatted it fully with SDFormatter giving the following results:

SD stuff.JPG

...so the card looks okay doesn't it?

The card appears to be physically OK, as h2testw proves. However, something is not right. Since you're using a Kingston I'm surprised you can't record onto it. From your post it appears you could update the firmware using your card, so I also assume the camera created the correct folders. If this is the case, then everything points to the card as being the problem. Have you tried photo mode? This will often work when video mode fails. Are you sure the yellow LED is flashing slowly when recording? If it's flashing at about once per second then it's telling you it can't record.
Don't you have an old card to try while waiting for your card to arrive?
I assume your camera is running on a battery and it's fully charged.

Just tried it again in photo mode...it seemed to take one picture and then the red light just stayed on and the only thing I could do was turn the camera off...wouldn't even change mode! When I checked to see what it had recorded the file was DCIM and then within that a folder called 100HDDVR which ultimately contained absolutely nothing!

...by the way, and this is probably a stupid question so apologies, when my new card arrives and I put it in the camera do I have to update the firmware and perform an in-camera format before doing anything else or is the firmware stored on the camera itself somewhere?

Although not absolutely necessary you should in-camera format your card using mSetup, at least after your initial tests. It only takes a few seconds.
You do not need to update the firmware. That's stored in the camera's internal memory.
I'm rather surprised a photo file was not generated... If you bought your card from one of the official sellers I would inform them about your problems, which I hope will be solved with the new card.

Well, new card arrived (...gotta love amazon prime) and I put it in to test...waddya know, it works perfectly! Whilst I'm mighty relieved I'm still annoyed the class 10 doesn't work. It seems fine and, like I've said, other people have reported a lot of success with class 10 even up to 64GB (...I was on the verge of getting a 64, so glad I didn't now). Is it acceptable for a device to just 'not like' a particular card...what's that all about??

...anyway, happy now and kinda nervous about formatting it in-camera...would it be okay to leave it for now as long as it's working or would you still recommend the in-camera format? Thanks so much for your help Isoprop :) ...sorry to have to report a Kingston failure though :( ...at least in the class 10 variety. I think the initial advice of sticking to class 4 is worth its weight in gold. At least I may be able to use the 'bad' card in a Raspberry Pi at some point in the future so as not to be a total waste of money, I think I'll give it a proper test and put it in a Panny full HD camcorder tomorrow and leave it recording to make sure it's a full 32GB.

...oh, this info also may be of help...the 'bad' class 10 card came from Rakuten.com (...actually Base.com) and has 'assembled in Taiwan' on the official kingston packaging. The 'good' class 4 card came from amazon.co.uk and has 'assembled in China' on the official kingston packaging... ...so, China good, Taiwan bad seems to be the findings in this case!

Last edited:
My Kingston 32GB Class 10 arrived today. Assembled in Taiwan. Sold & fulfilled by Amazon.

Formatted it within mSetup. Connected Mobius to Anker power bank. Let it record for over 5 hours. I stopped then restarted the camera once or twice an hour. All clips good.

My 32Gb Class 10 Transcend arrived today, cheapest card on Amazon when I ordered, formatted using the Mode button technique and that too works fine.

There you go then...seems a bit 'pot luck' more in the 'it works' favour. No idea why my card won't work as all the tests prove it's perfectly fine, seems like the only remaining reason is that the device simply doesn't like the card...not really good enough in 2015 is it! The computer age has led us all to the opinion that glitches are to be expected and therefore tolerated...barmy really :(

...still, working now so off to clean my car windscreen (...which is absolutely filthy). Anyone got any perfect settings to use and advice on the positioning of cam in car...bit of bonnet (...hood for the US), bit of dash. percentage of sky etc?

...cheers for the help guys (...and gals?), great and very helpful forum :cool::)

...advice on the positioning of cam in car...bit of bonnet (...hood for the US), bit of dash. percentage of sky etc?

Mine is roughly 37% above the horizon, which is dictated by the shape of the wood door wedge I used...

image.jpg image.jpg

Hi,
I'm new here as well but really wish I'd read these pages a couple of weeks ago. I bought a couple of the Kingston 32GB Class 10 cards from Amazon for my son to take away and use in the Mobius on his school trip next week. I tried them out today and, guess what - neither of them work in the camera! :( They both test fine on my computer and write speeds are as expected. I've tried formatting them as Fat32 and exFat, quick AND low level, in the computer and in the camera and the results are the same. The camera appears to work OK but when you look at the cards there's nothing there, just empty folders. It did record a file once but nothing since. No problems at all with an old 8GB Kingston card. Looks like I'm going to have to fork out for some replacement cards as technically there's nothing wrong with these ones, just an incompatibility with the Mobius.....

Hi,
I'm new here as well but really wish I'd read these pages a couple of weeks ago. I bought a couple of the Kingston 32GB Class 10 cards from Amazon for my son to take away and use in the Mobius on his school trip next week. I tried them out today and, guess what - neither of them work in the camera! :( They both test fine on my computer and write speeds are as expected. I've tried formatting them as Fat32 and exFat, quick AND low level, in the computer and in the camera and the results are the same. The camera appears to work OK but when you look at the cards there's nothing there, just empty folders. It did record a file once but nothing since. No problems at all with an old 8GB Kingston card. Looks like I'm going to have to fork out for some replacement cards as technically there's nothing wrong with these ones, just an incompatibility with the Mobius.....

...sorry to hear your issues but kinda relieved it's not just me...exactly the same problem for me except my card never recorded a single file. The class 4 card works fine though :)

Here's a strange thing.......
While the Kingston cards that I bought from Amazon don't work in the mobius at all, another one that I bought from 7dayshop works absolutely fine! On closer inspection, the working card looks slightly different than the others. The packaging that it came in is exactly the same in every detail and the cards are all marked as made in Taiwan but the card itself has a few differences:

1. The printing on the card (Logo etc) is slightly more defined (and seems to be thicker ink) on the working card
2. On the reverse side of the working card there are some tiny serial (or part?) numbers printed. There are no markings on the non-working cards.
3. On the working card you can clearly make out the PCB traces underneath the black coating on the reverse side. The coating is very flat and uniform. On the non-working cards the coating is more uneven making it difficult to make out the PCB traces.

The non-working cards all test fine and perform well in other devices/readers so I guess it's a batch thing..... or is it?

Do all these Kingstons come from Amazon? I'm begining to wonder if they are counterfeits. It would be interesting if someone were to have Kingston verify them.
All my Kingstons should be genuine, but on close examination they are different. They all work in the Mobius but not so in my #18s (which I've finally scrapped because of zero support and instable firmware). However, I have never had a card that doesn't work at all. My cards all have what looks like a serial # etched or lasered but it is extremely difficult to see. Most of the numbers are on the rear on the oblong part at the top but I've also seen the number engraved on the front on one of the sides. You'll have to have the correct light to see the number and you'll only be able to read it if you take a picture, but again, the lighting will have to come from the right angle. On all my cards the number is in black. I'm guessing the white numbers are the batch numbers.

I've just checked my Kingston C4 card out and that is totally black and shiny on the back with no markings and just has the serial number etched onto the front of the card like so just above the Kingston logo - sorry it's not a better pic but hope it helps. This was from Amazon

upload_2015-3-9_15-12-50.png

Maybe it was a dodgy controller?

Last edited:
Back