Unable to upgrade

Kyle Gordon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone else having issues updating their 312GW?

14 months ago I emailed Nextbase about a minor issue where the device would occasionally lock up, and we agreed updating the firmware from 3.4 to 4.5 might help. I could not for the life of me get it to update, and now I'm trying again with v5.4.

I've tried several iterations, and the dashcam seems to just ignore the fact that there's firmware files on the root of the SD card. I've tried formatting in Windows as their support video demonstrates, and I've tried in Linux and on the camera itself. Drop the files onto the root of the disk, put it in the camera, plug in external power by USB from a 2A USB charger, and the camera merrily boots up and starts recording... whilst staying on v3.4

What am I doing wrong? :)

Edit: The SD card is absolutely fine. Has been running well for a year now, no bad blocks, errors, weirdness, etc. A Sandisk Class 10 32GB

Last edited:
if you were doing it in Linux you'd need to rename the file as Linux is case sensitive, if you're still having issues doing it with the file downloaded via Windows though then something else is still not right

I use a standard small SD specifically for updating. Not my main SD. All that is on the card is the firmware file(s)

Can you confirm the contents of the SD card ? A screen shot would be perfect.

@jokiin gets the prize! Thank you! I'm aware of case sensitivity, but never twigged that it was delivered in the wrong casing :)

Straight out the zip file it's FW*.bin, when it needs to be FW*.BIN. Couldn't even rename it on the (VFAT) filesystem as it was proclaiming that it was 'the same file'. Moved it to ext4, capitalised the extension, moved back, and off it went.

I recompressed both files and the extension case was kept, so maybe this is something that @NextBase Tiffany could feed back to tech?

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

@jokiin gets the prize! Thank you! I'm aware of case sensitivity, but never twigged that it was delivered in the wrong casing :)

Straight out the zip file it's FW*.bin, when it needs to be FW*.BIN. Couldn't even rename it on the (VFAT) filesystem as it was proclaiming that it was 'the same file'. Moved it to ext4, capitalised the extension, moved back, and off it went.

I recompressed both files and the extension case was kept, so maybe this is something that @NextBase Tiffany could feed back to tech?

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

I had exactly the same problem. It's because of the lunatic FAT system of long & short names and different conventions about default case. What you see is NOT what you get :-(
Read the man page for mount, especially the Mount options for fat and vfat. If you mount with the option check=s, then you can change from bin to BIN and actually get BIN in the real filename. I expect using the shortname option may also work, but the man page is not so clear. Probably shortname=win95 would work.

Rename bin to old then rename old to BIN

So the "short name" retains the case from the first rewrite? I suppose I can infer that from the man page, but these mismatches between the displayed and actual cases are confusing, to say the least. From now on I will reach for an hex editor to check when it really matters :)

Each time I've extracted a bin file for firmware update it's always extracted correctly.

I suppose we just need to watch for more posted issues and advise accordingly.

Back