Unboxing

I think a better approach might be to adjust the point where decreasing light levels activate the IR filter a bit lower. If you go to always having an IR cut filter in place you'll lose some of the interior video brightness at night. As it is now this cam does very well with this.

It would be something to try if you already have such a lens in mind, perhaps it won't lose as much as I think it will? Have your engineers put one together at the factory as a test and see what the results are. If it works well enough it would make the build simpler and cheaper with one less thing which could fail in the system.

Phil

Yes the IR filter will disengage if you drive into the shade of trees, even in the middle of the day, but i do not see this as a problem.
Maybe the level of light where the filter disengange / engage can be tweaked a little, as i recall from my CCTV cameras i think they have that option.

Some users feedback its camera "clicks" when driving.
I am considering to remove the IR-Cut filter for its cabin lens, and used a fixed IR-Cut lens instead.
Is it will be a good idea?
With a fixed IR-cut filter, it will not be able to see the light from the IR LEDs, seems a very bad idea!

It will still see some IR light, but not good for taxi use.
Probably better to remove the IR filter and always have a monochrome image, then it is still good for taxi use, but I think a lot of people prefer to have a colour image and a click when it gets dark.

Maybe some sound proofing can be added so that the click can not be heard? A cover, or foam over the motor to block the sound?

Or make the motor move more slowly so the click is not as loud, currently it switches very fast, but a fast switch is not important, the firmware could increase the motor power slowly using PWM, then we will not be able to hear the click...

Some users feedback its camera "clicks" when driving.
I am considering to remove the IR-Cut filter for its cabin lens, and used a fixed IR-Cut lens instead.
Is it will be a good idea?
You need GND filters for both cameras, it really helps with headlights behind the scene, darker areas like seats and center console at night and also helps with over exposed sun/sky for the front camera.
I don't know what sensor you are using but they usually have a map for lens shadow correction for M12 you can tweak through i2c and increase analog sensitivity of a group of pixels (it's usually interpolated by 8x8 or so) when you are using IR at night, this is not gain or exposure values, it plays with voltage and resistance in the sensor level. Like if you take a picture of a solid white object and see a pinkish tint around the image that's gonna be corrected by this, specially at night. Sony IMX219 has this feature and really changes the quality at night.

Back