Unbranded Car Cameras

Guvadafe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a dash board DVR or car camera. The sparse documentation that came with it is in apparently Chinese and English. It is rather difficult to make sense of it. The camera seems to work quite well and it looks as though it will fit my needs quite nicely. The only flaw that I have found is I can't figure out how to set the date. It stays on the factory installed date of 1-25-13. There is no manufacturer name on either the camera, the box it came in or the aforementioned sparse documentation. It appears to have been shipped from China. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find out who made the camera or how to determine a model number? I can live with the invalid date but would prefer not to.

I wrote to the site I got it from and ended up on some generic support site who sends me information that is not what I asked for and promptly closes the ticket! Didn't even give me a chance to respond to their suggestion.
Thanks for any assistance you can suggest.

quite possible you'd never know who made the camera, posting a photo or a link to where you got it from might help someone to be able to ID it and at least point you in the right direction

jokiin said:
quite possible you'd never know who made the camera, posting a photo or a link to where you got it from might help someone to be able to ID it and at least point you in the right direction

This. Also how much did it cost? Does it have GPS? where is and what color is the time stamping in the video that is recorded? Could all help identify a camera.

For some online sites is better a camera to not have any name.
If you want to blame something, your something is nothing. So how to blame a nothing?
Also in my country are ****ty sites which selling cameras with general (and long) names and very bad quality. Seems like the longer the name the bad quality.

If your camera can't setup the date is not good quality. If you want to prove the quality of the camera, words are not enough, you must provide links from youtube and also original sample files.

Don't buy no printed name cameras. They have some bad things to hide.

enjoy,
Mtz

Well, I have some bad news, some good news and some more bad news (grin).
First bad news... after less than two weeks the camera died.
The good news is that when contacted the vendor said "No problem. Just send it back for a free replacement."
Second bad news... the address I had to ship it to was in Hong Kong! Cost me $12.75 to send it international first class.

Too bad because other than being unable to fix the date setting, it took really clear video. Now to wait a few weeks
for the replacement to get here.

Camera's they sale here
They are basically a
DVR-007 SD (Knock off?)
DVR-007 HD
DVR-027
You can save a bit of money by getting a DVR-027 here.
estore009 on ebay
and knowing that you will get a decent camera.
Also more info here

but that is good they will replace it for you.

If you can buy the 007 instead of 027, buy the 007. That 027 LEDs are ugly and useless.

enjoy,
Mtz

Also that site seems to list storage hours of video incorrectly
In a real HD DVR-027 (What the third camera claims to be) recording at 720 a 16GB card would get around 5 hours not 16 as the sale page claims.
A 32GB card in a real DVR-027 recording at 720 gets about 11 hours i believe.
My math might be a little off though

Just to keep you up to date on my 'experience'. Having to mail the camera to Hong Kong and then wait for a replacement took approximately FIVE weeks! The replacement works BUT it was obviously someone elses defective unit as the screen has two diagonal lines (red and blue) that were apparently put on with some indelible marker as I have been unable to remove them. The screen was also smudged with a lot of fingerprints. I was directed to send back ONLY the camera so I kept the cables, battery and SD card. The replacement unit came WITH cables and a battery but no SD card. I'm reminded of a quote I saw years ago that goes something like this: "The bitter taste of poor performance lasts long after the sweet taste of low price.".

In the event this unit dies as well, I will be shopping elsewhere for a replacement, probably at one of the links you folks kindly provided.

Back