Understanding of CMOS Pixel size Resolution Sensitivity S/N

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
About CMOS technology this Russian article below will help you to understand more. There is a sample OV vs Aptina, but explanation rules about pixel size and all other aspects apply to all CMOS dash cams.

http://translate.google.ie/translate?sl ... -sensor%2F

CMOS-sensor OmniVision OV2710 and Aptina AR0330

On this page of our website we will try to explain to customers what the usual "matrix" of how it works, features and differences of the different matrices. Yes, let us forgive professionals if our presentation will seem to them too primitive, and the terms are incorrect. We do not aim to write a scientific article, but we want to just communicate clearly convey the essence of the theme handily.

Now there are new modern matrix is ​​significantly more sensitive and "low-noise". They are able to generate enough high-quality video at night compared to the old matrix. OmniVision OV2710 and Aptina AR0330 U.S. production. This matrix has been successfully used in professional video surveillance systems. More recently they have started to establish and car video recorders and video cameras in the household.

Unfortunately, consumers are not entirely true, from what really determines the quality of the recording car DVR. Advertising has done its job, and many buyers are looking for megapixels. Almost all of the old matrix had 5MP resolution, and new 2.1Mp or 3.5Mp. And it is very difficult to explain to the buyer that the matrix with a resolution of 2.1Mp can generate higher image quality in low light conditions than the 5-megapixel.

Matrix, video matrix, sensor, video sensor - the main part of any camcorder or camera. It is this element converts light into electricity. There are two production technologies matrices. CCD (CCD) and CMOS (CMOS). Without going into details, we note that a good CCD-matrix better CMOS-matrix. But megapixel performance is very expensive and are used only in professional equipment. Therefore, producers and video cameras in the budget price range set only CMOS-matrix. In addition, CMOS technology is developing very fast. The difference in quality between the two technologies is not that big. And the price difference is huge.

How does the CMOS-matrix?

Many people know what a solar panel and saw its active element, which converts solar energy into electricity. CMOS-matrix technology is based on the same principle. The entire surface of the matrix consists of a miniaturized active elements - pixels. Each pixel in response to light, generates an electrical charge. Then, the charge is read out and processed to form a frame. Reading of the electric charge runs a special electronic circuit. We call this scheme "electronic shutter". On a bright sunny day, the charge in each pixel accumulates very quickly. Enough 1/1000 sec -1 / 10000. At night - on the contrary, the charge builds up very slowly. Typically, in a dark charge accumulates during 1/25 - 1/30 sec. This limitation is due to the frame rate. If we have a second 30 frames, then charge from the pixel to be read 30 times per second. Unfortunately, such a large charge accumulation time in the pixels in the 1/30 sec., It time to accumulate and "electronic" noise. Therefore, the image at night as "noise." Furthermore. Imagine that the camera is mounted on a car and driven at a speed of at least 30 km / h For 1/30 sec, the car can be several tens of centimeters. That's why, when driving at night image camera can turn out blurred. In order to be an image at night with minimal noise was and was not spread out, it is necessary to do so, that would charge accumulated in the pixel for a faster time. Not for 1/30 sec. And for example, 1/100- 1/120 sec. Of course, you can force to reduce the exposure time, but then the accumulated charge is not enough, and the image is very dark.

Manufacturers are addressing this problem in several ways:

Increasing the size of the pixel. More surface - will get more light.
Improving the quality of the material is done pixel.
Installing the front of each pixel of the microlenses. Allows you to more carefully focus the light output.
Installation of microlenses between pixels. Allows you to focus on the lenses additional light output.
The use of technologies that improve the "shutter".
You can also greatly improve the quality of the night recording quality using high-aperture lens in front of the matrix (as is done in TrendVision TV-Q2). But it depends on the manufacturers of car DVR, not matrices.

Key Features megapixel CMOS-matrix.

Aptina MT9P01 Aptina AR0330 OmniVision OV2710
Resolution 5Mp 3.5Mp 2.1Mp
Number of Pixels 2592H x 1944V 2304H x 1296V 1920H x 1080V
The size of the matrix 1/2.5 " 1/3 " 1/3 "
The pixel size 2.2μm x 2.2μm 2.2μm x 2.2μm 3.0μm x 3.0μm
Sensitivity 1.4 V / lux-sec 1.9 V / lux-sec 3.3 V / lux-sec
Dynamic range 70dB 72.4dB 69dB
Signal / noise 38dB 40dB 39dB

1. Resolution. Depends on the number of pixels on the sensor. The greater the number of pixels, the higher the resolution.

Most car DVR installed 5-megapixel American firm Aptina MT9P01. It has a pixel 2592H x 1944V. But it is worth considering that the video with a resolution of 1920x1080 FullHD enough pixel (2.1 megapixel). Historically, the first Car DVR FullHd with a resolution of 1920x1080 appeared by further developing common household miniature video cameras. These cameras budget price range do not place high demands on the quality when shooting in low light. In addition, for promotional purposes, such cells should be more and cameras. It is therefore established a matrix of 5 MP. The camera is able to make a video with a resolution of 2.1 megapixels and photos with a resolution of 5 megapixels. However, in the vast majority of car DVR set wide-angle optics, which does not have an optical resolution of 5 megapixels, the pictures were obtained poor quality. For video recording, the whole matrix is ​​not used, and only the central part 1920H x 1080V pixel (2.1 megapixel).

For video recording in FullHD format enough matrix 2.1 megapixels (1920x1080 multiply = 2073600).

2. The size of the matrix. Usually expressed in inches diagonally. Clearly, the larger the matrix, the larger the size (area) of a single pixel. And this means more light falls on it.

Aptina MT9P01 old matrix has a size of 1/2.5. "This is a big matrix. But when you consider that this area is 5 million pixels, each pixel is obtained does not seem like much, just 2.2 microns.'s Large image sensor - but a small pixel. A Only if the active zone take the matrix of 1920 x 1080, to form the necessary signal, the size of this area will be less than 1/4 ". Enough. Conversely, on a smaller matrix 1/3 "OV2710 is only 2.1 million pixels (remember, this is enough to form a frame FullHD resolution of 1920 x 1080), and each pixel is obtained fairly large - 3.0 micron. And in the matrix uses the entire area.

Large, but 5-megapixel uses a video signal only part of the area the size of 1920x1080 pixel.

3. The size of the pixel. As has been stated earlier, the larger the surface area of ​​the pixel, the more it gets light rays. Hence the matrix rapidly accumulate an electrical signal. There is a chance to reduce the exposure time, thus reduce the level of noise and the blur in low light.

4. Sensitivity. Depends on the size of the pixel. The higher it is, the more sensitive the matrix. As can be seen from the table, OV2710 has the largest and the largest pixel sensitivity. AR0330 also has a higher sensitivity than the old matrix, although the size of the same - 2.2μm x 2.2μm. But this is achieved by new technologies - improved microlenses in front of the pixels of the new system to remove the charge and other technologies.

5. Dynamic range and S / N ratio in all three matrices is roughly the same.

Our research and testing has shown that the new matrix OmniVision OV2710 and APTINA AR0330 are about equally good quality recording in low light conditions. OV2710 - due to the large pixel in size. AR0330 - by using the latest technologies. But the two matrices have a distinct advantage over the old 5-megapixel Aptina MT9P01 , which is still used by most manufacturers of automotive DVRs.

It should be noted that the video quality also depends on the lens that is mounted in front of the matrix. Cheap lens, which lets a little light, can easily bring all the benefits of a good matrix to the minimum. Conversely, a good fast lens can significantly improve the quality of video images at night, even with the old matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Understanding of CMOS Pixel size Resolution Sensitivity

Superb thanks for share the knowledgment .

GeorgesNJR said:
Superb thanks for share the knowledgment .

You are welcome.
This is most user-friendly ( primitive ) way to explain to regular person about CMOS technology of any dash cam he has too look for when deciding to buy one.
Of course there are many other important factors on which dash camera work reliability depends on: Processor ( CPU ), Lenses ( view angle / aperture ), Firmware, overall built materials quality, and so on.
Only perfectly balanced combination of all components can provide a good reliable dash cam. Only having a good one component is not enough.

In addition to CMOS info, I have compared Panorama2 vs Matego MG300 series CMOS-es and how they can affect video quality.
Those both dash cams are identical: design, CPU, RAM, share bases of same firmware, optics etc, - the only difference they have in CMOS type. You will see from my article comparing two cmos-es and how they can affect video quality:

by niko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:29 pm
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208&start=90

Niko you have a lot more experience than me since you acquired a lot more cameras and using it longer time than me so its nice you sharing knowlodgment its a lot helpful for
people using cams not much time , been using 4 years by now cameras on car i was ok whit dod but seeying new cams i see i was happy sit on mud

think its affect general a lot

yet low end makers now days working hard to hit High end market too

i opened a discussion about cmos and processors. but nobody replied lol
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1715

i Still have Curiosity if Omnivision and Aptina have any Cmos that face Sony Exmor R in image quality.
Ambarella is at top line of processors followed by Novatek , Novatek NT96460 on Dod LS300W shows its power. i anxious too see that in practice soon my unit arrive
but it´s not powerful enough vs a Ambarella 7L since Ambarella has a lot more power in chip , G-Shock/WDR/Shutter all in chip not needing any other chip.
i thinking in acquiring a VicoCation WF-1 i still curious if its going use Ambarella 5 or 7 , Ambarella 7 seems most advanced of moment , just check GoPro Hero 3 black edition (silver use Amba 5L) to see how powerful it is at an good project .
i´ve seen a lot evolution on new processors and Cmos since my primitive Dod L500 Ambarella 2
maybe an GoPro Hero 3 black edition in picture quality and endurance at Car cam dash , but them i asking too much i think.
by the way Ambarella 9 Coming too
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6652/amba ... ro-3-black
this is going be Killer , meanwhile would be nice see Amba 7L Dashs coming

personally I feel the Aptina product is quite close to the Sony, yes the Sony is better but there's a large price gap that is hard to justify for a very small quality gap

jokiin said:
personally I feel the Aptina product is quite close to the Sony, yes the Sony is better but there's a large price gap that is hard to justify for a very small quality gap

witch Cmos model of Aptina you think is close Exmor R :mrgreen:

by the way i found accidentally a blog dedicate to news about CMOS LOL, put on my news check stuff
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com.br/

GeorgesNJR said:
jokiin said:

witch Cmos model of Aptina you think is close Exmor R :mrgreen:

by the way i found accidentally a blog dedicate to news about CMOS LOL, put on my news check stuff
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com.br/

the end result is only a sum of its parts, the Aptina AR0330 can produce great results with the right processor, lens, firmware, WDR (real hardware WDR) etc

Lens is another thing does gigantic difference , i was comparing lens on a cheap DV 7 i have and on Dod , notice Glass lens shows a lot more quality.
i Figure 6G is best at moment , Jokkin , i don´t understaind much about lens makers , there was any maker for Lens Dash Cams or all Lens are OEM Made from factorys at a Demand ?

WDR Become Crucial , i don´t buy any camera anymore whiteout WDR. all Raw Videos i checked whit true WDR you notice the difference it does is notable
it´s become a basic stuff for me

processor i was chatting before seems Novatek and Ambarella are at top of hook , Ambarella are taking distance on now whit A7 and A9 that are much superior at any Novatek

Firmware is what kills some cameras , whit DoD not replaying my emails i am afraid the LS300W i bought become obsolete whit time if don´t get updates whit time.

So Top Notch list of moment is :

Cmos : Sony Exmor R and Aptina AR0330
Lens : ?
WDR
Processor : Novatek NT96460 and Ambarella A7L
Firmware : constantly updated.
+ Good project , good Ventilation and good PCB Work

other curiosity i have Jokkin , maybe you know , the Ambarella A7 WDR on Chip are match of WDR Separated Chip ?

Attachments

• WDRLS300.jpg
    WDRLS300.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 262

A7 I believe is vastly superior to anything currently available from Novatek, for low end solutions Novatek offer very good value for money but won't compete at the top end based on their current product at least, it will probably take a while to see the full potential of the A7 platform but certainly a good platform

Lens, I'd look at 6G is being the new minimum, we do up to 9G for some projects but there's a level of diminishing returns where you're spending more but not getting an improvement of equal value

WDR, there's true hardware WDR and there's some software trickery to get a similar result, not everyone that says they have WDR has true hardware WDR, the results in the software version are still respectable considering the cost though

Above all though regardless of what components you use is firmware, if this isn't sorted you'll never see the potential, that's what sorts the good from ordinary

for true WDR , WDR function just opening the camera and checking if has a WDR Chip i suppose

and thats my point , on my next buys i will be considering Firmware support was one major things
what is a good cam if Firmware is buggy and support is a jeopardy thing whit fatty chubby clowns that laugh at consumer
be saying Firmware will tanish image of a lot brands on next years.

GeorgesNJR said:
for true WDR , WDR function just opening the camera and checking if has a WDR Chip i suppose

don't trust what you see silk screened onto a chip to be accurate, there's some funny business going on out there :evil:

jokiin said:
GeorgesNJR said:

don't trust what you see silk screened onto a chip to be accurate, there's some funny business going on out there :evil:

thanks for alarm , will be eyes open on my next dash cam
i was out options when i bought Dod LS300W but next one i am sure i will wait a lot before do a decision.
my L500 is simple impossible to live whit it so needed a update for stay whit something better than nothing
but i feel a kinda regretted whit horrible support DOD doing last days , like i was talking before Support is major key.
anyway its not expensive thing like a FineVu or a Lukas , so if i don´t like i just throw at some some box on my apartment garage room.
and ya can´t trust in someone Silk the processor , why not silk the WDR too ?

GeorgesNJR said:
and ya can´t trust in someone Silk the processor , why not silk the WDR too ?

it happens is all I can say

whats purpose in silk chips and processors :lol:

Back