Understanding of WDR On / OFF vs EV ( Exposure Value ) Settings

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
This is to show you how different WDR On / OFF and EV ( Exposure Values ) settings combinations changes your dashcam image quality recording in different day / night conditions.

P.S. this is just an educational sample.
You personal dashcam real results may vary depending on firmware and dashcam model you are using.

Screenshots

Rainy Cloudy Morning.

Cloudy Morning (1).jpg

Cloudy Morning (2).jpg

Cloudy Morning (3).jpg

Cloudy Morning (4).jpg

Cloudy Morning (5).jpg

Cloudy Morning (6).jpg

Thank you niko for your work here. All these values I have often wondered how they operate and now to experiment myself. A visual reference guide like this is awesome! :cool:

Thank you niko for your work here. All these values I have often wondered how they operate and now to experiment myself. A visual reference guide like this is awesome! :cool:

No problem. Glad it is helpful.

Great post. Can't wait to get a cam. This will save me some time when it comes to setup. Thread bookmarked :)

With some EV settings the WDR off works better. Interesting...

The only scene I saw image for some reasons is brighter with WDR OFF is EV -2/3.
In this case here it maybe was to do with huge projector street light in the middle of car park, which was shining directly over my car and it might affected for some short period ( 1-2 sec ) the overall exposure when I was doing those test recordings.
All other scenes ( even with same values selected ), the WDR ON was better.

night1-9-jpg.16735

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would bring this back to the top for the new SG9665GC owners. If you have some time and patience to play defiantly well worth it.

Very helpful information @niko, thank you for sharing.

No problem. Its easier to explain with real example than in words.

Hi niko. DCT member jokiin referred me to this thread. I'm trying to understand about exposure or exposure value (EV). I understand that increasing the EV makes the image look brighter and vice versa but I'm trying to understand how it does so and if it has an equivalent in the world of full-feature digital cameras and camcorders. On my SJ4000 Wi-Fi I can adjust the EV from -2.0 to +2.0 in 1/3 steps just like you've shown above. Action cams like my SJ4000 don't have shutters or apertures so adjusting the EV can't adjust those components. I can adjust the ISO on my camera so what does that leave for the EV to be adjusting? On my point-and-shoot digital camera I can adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

Last edited:
Back