Update: Blackvue DR500GW-HD WIFI/Live View Disappointment

jazzyone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I returned the original DRA500GW about a week after I got it because I suspected that the wifi was defective.

I was right!

The WIFI function on the new one I received today works noticeably better in terms of range and streaming both Live view and recorded clips.

Now I'm a happy camper!

If your range is short, streaming stops or get a message about weak signal randomly (in close proximity to the camera), you may have a defective camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------original thread-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding the WIFI function. My WIFI performance on the DR500GW is really disappointing!

What is the range you guys are seeing for streaming video reply and Live View?

Mine is about 2' max (0.6m) for streaming and about 10' max (3m) for Live View. This is much less than the 32' (10m) range stated in the manual for Live View. I get "WIFI signal too weak" error on Android devices around those distances and sometimes (randomly) a lot closer. I have multiple smart devices in both iOS and Android and all exihibt similar ranges so it's not a device issue.

How is your video replay streaming?

Mine buffers a lot so a 1 minute clip may take 2-4 minutes to replay (if at all). This happens using the supplied class 10 microSD and a different 32GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 mircoSD card. On the other hand when I download the clip via WIFI by pressing down on the file name and selecting download, it take about 2 minutes to download.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Blackvue DR500GW-HD WIFI/Live View Disappointment

Some modern handheld devices doesn`t work properly with wifi 802.11G.
Try this:
Download Notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.3.html

Insert the SD card into your computer and navigate to folder BlackVue -> Config.
You`ll find a file config.ini there. Open it with Notepad++ and add to the very end, after "onstart=1" this one:
ap_11n=1
Save and quit.

This will add N mode to BV wifi and the speed will increase slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

linni said:
Some modern handheld devices doesn`t work properly with wifi 802.11G.
Try this:
Download Notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.3.html

Insert the SD card into your computer and navigate to folder BlackVue -> Config.
You`ll find a file config.ini there. Open it with Notepad++ and add to the very end, after "onstart=1" this one:
ap_11n=1
Save and quit.

This will add N mode to BV wifi and the speed will increase slightly.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried it and it didn't help. As a matter of fact, the Live View image was delayed even longer (from about 1 seconds to 4 seconds) and the streaming replay didn't even start. I had to set it back to the original setting. And yes, I used Notepad++. The connection speed did go up from 54 mbps to something like 75 mbps but it slowed things down even more. Doesn't make sense but that's what happened.

What about the range? Is your range similar to mine?

With a 2010 Macbook Air about 6 feet, with a 2011 Macbook Air about 15 feet, with a iPhone 5, about 15 feet, and with a iPad 4, about 15 feet. This is with doors closed and engine off (Power Magic Pro in Parking Mode).

jazzyone said:
What about the range? Is your range similar to mine?

I haven`t tested the limits, but while the car is parked in the garage then from living room there`s no problems at all. Distance about 10 meters / 30 feet. Laptop Windows 7, tablet Android 4.1

Malcontent said:
With a 2010 Macbook Air about 6 feet, with a 2011 Macbook Air about 15 feet, with a iPhone 5, about 15 feet, and with a iPad 4, about 15 feet. This is with doors closed and engine off (Power Magic Pro in Parking Mode).

Malcontent, How's the streaming with your device at those distances? Mine is unliable!

linni said:
I haven`t tested the limits, but while the car is parked in the garage then from living room there`s no problems at all. Distance about 10 meters / 30 feet. Laptop Windows 7, tablet Android 4.1

Linni,

With my BV, if I get in between the iPhone/Android and the camera, the Live View stream freezes. I am suprised you can get reception and streaming video from 10 meters away, let alone going through the wall! I assume you have no problems streaming recorded video and Live View, correct?

jazzyone said:
Malcontent said:

Malcontent, How's the streaming with your device at those distances? Mine is unliable!
Mine is rock solid. I even tried it while parked and I was in a building about 20 feet away in a straight line on my iPhone 5. Works well, no complaints.

Some say that Blackvue uses Realtek chip for wifi and only the devices with Realtek chip work with BV flawlessly. Also the BV application itself seems to be undesigned.
You can try alternatives:

-for Live view use VLC player:
Media-> Open Network Stream -> Network folder -> URL:http://192.168.8.1/blackvue_live.cgi

-for streaming download ES File Explorer (or other FTP client):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroid.pop
Create FTP connection: 192.168.8.1
Video files are located: Blackvue -> Record.

See, if the streaming speeds are better with alternatives.

Malcontent said:
jazzyone said:
Malcontent said:

Mine is rock solid. I even tried it while parked and I was in a building about 20 feet away in a straight line on my iPhone 5. Works well, no complaints.

The iPhone 5 WiFi reception is far better than other devices. Wasn't one of the new features of the iPhone 5 superior WiFi connectivity? I believe connectivity tests confirmed this fact.

Even with n mode enabled, I can only connect at 65mbit. I guess it's not bad though, my home WiFi connects to my phone at 72mbit. I have a Galaxy Note 2.

themyst said:
The iPhone 5 WiFi reception is far better than other devices. Wasn't one of the new features of the iPhone 5 superior WiFi connectivity? I believe connectivity tests confirmed this fact.

Even with n mode enabled, I can only connect at 65mbit. I guess it's not bad though, my home WiFi connects to my phone at 72mbit. I have a Galaxy Note 2.

Themyst,

I have used an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy Note 2, among many other devices, but my range and streaming is really poor on all devices.

How is your range and streaming of recorded clips?

I am on the verge of returning my BV because I think it's defective.

Re: Update: Blackvue DR500GW-HD WIFI/Live View Disappointmen

Problem fixed by getting a new camera.

Re: Update: Blackvue DR500GW-HD WIFI/Live View Disappointmen

Has anyone gotten live view to work on a Windows device? I have a Lumia 920 (Windows Phone 8), Windows Surface RT, and a Windows 8 laptop.

Phone refuses to connect.
Surface connects, can see folders, refuses to play the mp4 files, and begins an apparently never ending file download if I try the live view CGI URL.
Laptop connects, can see folders, can download and play mp4 files from Record folder, gets 404 for the 192.168.8.1 page links, and doesn't like the live view CGI URL.

Perhaps I'm missing some codecs (laptop) or applications (all 3 devices)?

Thanks.

Back