Update coming to Blackvue DR900S-2CH!!

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happened across a youtube review of the DR900S-2CH where the reviewer (credit to "eastcoastjeepsrt") discussed the DR900S vs the DR750 and that the color rendition and night performance of the DR900S wasn't as good as the DR750. Blackvue responded directly in the comments and stated that there was an update coming soon to the DR900S!

I would assume that this means a Software update and not a hardware update, but I guess time will tell? Either way this is exciting news!! Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 3.30.38 AM.png

Awesome news hopefully the update fixes the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running three BV cameras, the DR900S-2CH one of them, and by far it has the worst low-light resolution. I like the camera, don't get me wrong, but for the money they cost, you would think that low-light resolution would be a major factor to consider.

They need to address the overheating issues too.

It's getting warm in the 80's (California) and I'm experiencing heat issues already. I'm on the latest 1.011 fw.
57c1cdc3dc4c6798a762dfef87c30345.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They need to address the overheating issues too.

It's getting warm in the 80's (California) and I'm experiencing heat issues already. I'm on the latest 1.011 fw.
57c1cdc3dc4c6798a762dfef87c30345.jpg

Yeah that's the other reason I bought the 750s and returned the 900s.i also live in California and it wouldn't last a few hours without shutting down. Switching to h264 and timelapse helped but didn't fully solve it

Yeah i think they was just a tiny bit too quick out of the gate with that 4K camera, then again i assume dropping in a better sensor will be easy for BV to do.
And as you guys mention the thermal issue, which i personally think are the biggest problem of the model, 4K don't matter if it shut down every time you don't have your AC on fill tilt.

My car don't even have AC, not least as that would ZAP 30% of the little engines power. o_O

I got the dr900s-2 when it first released figuring it was the best. I feel like a beta user.

I wanted side camera coverage and went with the dr750-2 [emoji4].

I feel like a beta user
That feeling are quite common with dashcams of many brands, i have yet to see a new camera come out and pretty much not need any form of update, but some can function just fine and just need a few IQ tweaks to follow + maybe some newer features added down the road.

I feel the pain of the problems of the DS900, but the fact of the matter is I had a incident where my "not-so-good" camera could not pick up a tag # and I know the DR900 would have captured it... so to me, it's worth it.

That being said, I also run a Viofo A119 V2 as a backup at all times and have felt that this is the best way to do it. I have had memory card failures on one or the other at random times and this has saved me.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what this update is!!

Yeah i think they was just a tiny bit too quick out of the gate with that 4K camera, ...
They were rather ignorant. Because there is nothing for heat dissipation whatsoever (even they've covered it with a shield, there isn't a thermalpad).

Certainly is. But Blackvue could at least use it as a "heatsink" as well. It's pretty common if you don't plan to use a proper heatsink.

Last edited:
Another way of reducing heat generated by the cam is to move the 12V to 5V converter out of the cam and have it 'somewhere else' as quite a few other dash-cams have implemented the conversion.

We've tested this and has found that it's reduced temperatures by about 2-4 Celsius for the DR900S, and did keep the unit running longer in the vehicle: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B015YRY0LS
Better than nothing, I guess!

Very nice, i wondered if anybody has tested it.

EDIT: Ahhh, the URL wasn't working for me... :ROFLMAO: We need to test a direct heat dissipation.

Try again, just edited the URL!

I've have had my 900S-2CH for about 5 months and have never had any issues with it. I'm having a wait and see attitude as summer is approaching. If no issue develops, I'll probably not mess with any updates. I've always lived by the motto, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Back