UPDATE, Motorised head

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ended up getting the Sevenoaks motorised head, I put in an offer of £45 +P&P Ebay (£50) and was accepted

not tested it out fully yet, wish I had it when I was on holiday. simple to use, two forms of settings. duration, which gives 5,15, 30 and 60 minutes duration. Then you get the setting for the degree you want it to turn, and using these two settings you can control the speed of the motorised head.

If you set it to do a full 360 degrees in five minutes, it will travel around 70 degrees per minutes. if you set it to do 15 degrees in five minutes then it will travel about 3 degrees per minute

I got hold of these times from another review I saw on the internet

so as can be seen some form of speed control is possible.

this is the table I got the above figures from

here are some more images of it

as it works virtually silent there isn’t a ticking sound like when using the “Drifter timer” to tell you its still working, but the red timer LED will blink while its still rotating, when it has achieved its set degree of travel the red LD will stop blinking but stay on constant

feels well made and comes in a case of its own

comes with EU type of mains power plug, but having a few EU to UK adaptors kicking around, wasn’t an issue with me

some things I think could or maybe should of been done differently are:

would of been nice to have replace batteries (like the SJ) then one could have a few and swap over when one set needed charging, the manual says it has a 50 hour standby time and 6 hours battery life when using it, but takes 4 hours to fully charge

in this day and age I think it should of been able to be charged using USB

the other thing I’m not keen on it that to get back to zero you have to set the timer to 5 minutes and the travel to 360 degrees to get it to 0/360 mark, would of been nice to have one button that would either disengage the mechanism or a button that would reset it to zero, not much of an issue but the manual says not to turn the head manually or there is risk of damage

these are the two main issues I see without giving it a full testing

one thing I am pleased it has is the ability to go clock wise and anti clock wise, the DIR LED indicates which way its turning, as when you have it set to travel 30 degrees in 60 minutes theres no way of telling which way its turning if it wasn’t for that LED

this clip (took with the SJ4000 on holiday last month) with the Drifter time-lapse took me about 30 minutes to capture, and also with some real time footage with the SJ 4000 wi fi

now the same degree of travel (about 180) can be captured in as little as two and a half minutes (in real time) or as long as 30 minutes (in time lapse) with the Sevenoaks motorised head

just in passing, so far very pleased with the results this little SJ400 camera produces, and for just over fifty quid, has to be a bargain compared to a GoPro

all in all, for 50 pounds, (without fully testing it) I’m happy with its features,

now to look for a motorised slide rail to go with this head, would love to be able to achieve 10% of what Nicolaus Wegner has achieved

https://vimeo.com/nicolauswegner/wyomingwildscapes2

truly amazing stuff he’s created

Last edited:
I’ve now used the Sevenoaks motorised head for a few times and thing its going to be very useful for time-lapse and real time video with the SJ4000, or for that matter, any other camera/action camera

On my drive to my holiday this passed summer I was in the Swiss mountains and wanted to get a smooth panorama of the aria I was in,all I had that would of made this possible was the Drifter time-lapse, only problem with that was it is made for time lapse (and I can’t fault it for what it is made for, and still use it for the intended purpose) but here all I wanted was a good panorama.

I tried to used the drifter but after only a few moments gave up and did it by hand but the Drifter still on my mini stand, as you will hear

now to do this with a time-lapse like the Drifter or and egg timer would take about 30 minutes, some would say why didn’t I take a good tripod with me and use that. when going on holiday in a small car and photography isn’t the main reason for the holiday a large tripod is using up precious space in the car. if taken with the Sevenoaks motorised head (or other motorised head) the above 180 degrees clip can be shot in around 2 minutes

here’s a couple of clips (joined) shot in my garden with the Sevenoaks head set at 5 minutes to cover 360 degrees, meaning it would cover 72 degrees per minute (shot with a compact camera)

with data from the net and the speed of the motorised head, I made and printed myself a diagram to give me some idea what setting I needed to cover a set degree in a set time

but then after a week I went to the app store and downloaded an app with a protractor and loaded it to my iPhone

I’ve made a short clip of the Sevenoaks motorised head. I started shooting the clip outdoors but my camera couldn’t capture the LED’s very good so went indoors.

you wouldn’t be going through all the sequence I’m showing, I’ve tried to show the function of the all the buttons. then showing the protractor app on my iPhone and iPad

My conclusion with only a few weeks use in good weather (so in rain, cold or snow it might not work as good or at all)

first off, I paid £45 + £4.99 P&P so at this price I am not complaining but if they do make a version 2, then these are the things I think would be a good/very good features to include

first off, a minor issue, the on off switch looks as if it’s not going to last long, its stiff and looks like its going to come off, would of preferred a push button for off/on

the more important features that are a bit of a restriction on its use is/are

at most it has a maximum time setting of only one hour (60 minutes) so if you were doing a time lapse of say 3 hours, you’d have to go back every hour to switch it on again

the slowest setting is to set it to cover 15 degrees in 60 minutes, if you wanted to cover 45 degrees at that slow setting you’re out of luck, it will stop once covered 15 degrees, you will have to return to the Sevenoaks a further two times to start it again

I’ve seen on the internet instructors turning the degree markings back to zero by hand, the manual says to set it on 360, and set theme to 5 minutes, a zero button that would fe wheel or zip it back to zero would be handy

I think what would of been a very good feature to have would of been a jack plug to accept an intervalometer,

like those used on DSLR’s, I think this one feature would make this motorised head unit worth double, and I’ve seen these intervalometer for as little as £10, but would open up this unit

the other thing that would of been useful was it if could of been charged by using USB, the manual says the battery will power it for about 8 hours and take about 4 hours to charge, the chances are you are going to be using this a long way from mains power, but might be able to have charged it from you car’s cigarette’s lighter socket, I’m using something like this for some years now, to charge 240v with the car’s cigarette lighter socket

I tested out the Sevenoaks motorised head the other day, and thought might be good to post on here.

As I was testing only the motorised head (not the SJ4000), I didn’t use the SJ4000 on it, I used my panasonic TZ60 and set the zoom lens to (35mm terms) approximately 100mm to get some idea of how smooth and noisy the head is when its used.

I set the rotation to do a full 360 in 5 minutes (the fastest speed of the head unit) looking at the edge of the footage, it looks rather smooth, I’m pleased to say this head (in the limited use I’ve so far put it through) for the cost of £50 I’m pleased with it’s performance. As I’ve mention before, it has a few drawbacks but overall I’m pleased

the motion was smooth with little if any judder at its fastest setting, but what really pleased me, there was no noise to be heard by my ears or on the recorded sound on the captured clip, my daughters puppy can be heard puffing as can the birds and ambient noise, but not motor winding noise what so ever

here’s two clips I joined together taken in my back garden

I did a few indoor tests (with bad lighting) with slower settings and to me that looked as if the motion was a bit jerky but I’ll wait for some better weather and do some more slow rotational with this motorised head outdoors to see if it can be as smooth in slow speeds as it is on its fastest speed

Last edited:
looking good

I said after getting the Sevenoak’s motorised head that what I could do with was a camera slider rail, been looking on eBay at some models, mostly between 80CM to 120CM in length,

some were good prices, from £45 right up to over £200 (without motor) and sometimes the same model being sold for say £65, someone else were selling the same item for over £140

those with motors were, for my limited use, just way too much out of my price range. as using one of these, is mostly used outdoors and well away from your car in the middle of nowhere I was looking for one that was easy enough for me to use and carry

I found one I liked that I think I could add a motor at a later date to it but I just couldn’t make up my mind as to what size to get, the, the 100CM (40”) or the 120CM (47”)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381356267620
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201403448840
anyway last night I was on another forum and reading some posts and one thread mentioned that eBay were offering a 20% discount on all items above £20. now the seller has a “or best offer”, now when I first looked at it it was selling for about £98ish (not too sure now)

so I put in an offer of £80, he came bace with £95.99, still a lot more than I was happy to spend, so was thinking of getting the 100CM going for £86, and he was happy to let it go for £83

well as mentioned last night till 10pm UK time anything over £20 had a 20% discount s I went to slide rail item that was being sold for £94.99 and pressed pay and the payment was for £75.99, very very pleased.

this is the slide rail:

in my opinion to make the most of these slide rail’s with time lapse photography one needs some sort of motorised contraption, and seeing the selling price of those that come with motors was way out of my budget, I came across Motionco

http://www.motionco.co.uk/contact_us.php

that sell parts needed to make a slide rail in to a motorised one, once I get to know this side rail, I’ll have a better idea what I need to convert it in to a motorised one

Then I think I’ll be able to make the most of the motorised head with the SJ4000wifi

Back