Update on new unit. Faultless so far.

KenDay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is often the case with forums like this (Ive been on a few) that most of the comments tend to be about faults or problems, you can end up thinking every thing is crap and be put off ownership.
Therefore I thought I'd put an update on the forum re the unit I got a few weeks back which i did have initial problems with.

I bought and installed the unit with the direct wiring kit and added a rear camera. (see my posts on 22nd May)
There were immediate problems which turned out to be due to faulty connections between the click 'n go mount and the camera.
I returned the whole thing to Amazon and got a refund. I bought the new unit from a local Halfords (UK motoring supermarket) figuring that if anything went wrong with it I could immediately get it sorted.
Since then the unit has been faultless. I have it on parking mode for the last 2 weeks during a trip up to the Lake District and there have been no problems with battery drainage etc as some have mentioned.
I will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Two months in - no problems. As described on a recent thread it stayed in the car through the recent heatwave and hasn't thrown any faults. (y)

Thats awesome KenDay. Since installing the 19.9 firmware update to my 522gw, the only issue I have now is getting the Alexa skill enabled, but their tech support seems to think that is an issue with iOS 15 developer that I am using on my iphone. I may roll back to public release this weekend just to see if that is correct or not, but iOS 15 is just a few months away from public release so I may wait and see if they fix their issue with that. When I first got mine, I had some issues, BT disconnecting all the time or just not connecting at all when I got in the car and powered up the camera, wifi live stream not working sometimes. Now after the 19.9 update, it all works like it should except for the Alexa thing, but I'm not put off by that. Over all, its a great bit of kit.

Good to hear JR - I don't use Alexa so can't comment on that facility.

Quick update from me - a year and five months in.
Got to say the unit continues to perform as it should. Only issue occured in the record breaking heatwave we had this summer.
We had a further, more severe heat wave this summer. Here in the UK, there were several heatwaves and extreme heat events. The UK's all-time record was smashed with the highest ever day maximum temperature of 40.3C (104.5F) at Coningsby in Lincolnshire. The previous record was 38.7C in 2019 which had beaten 38.5C in 2003. When new UK records do happen, they are usually in small increments, not a leap of 1.4C

I had left the unit in the car during some of these high-30's days and it 'freaked out' a bit with a particular issue being the rear camera not functioning. I kept the unit in the shade and did a hard reset and it has again been faultless since.
Lesson will be to remove the unit from the car when parked if temps get above 30 odd degrees.
Still a happy chap here. (y) :cool:

Last winter I suffered from fogging in / on the 522 lense, so I’m taking mine out over winter this year, just refitting when required( front camera only.

Last winter I suffered from fogging in / on the 522 lense, so I’m taking mine out over winter this year, just refitting when required( front camera only.
Interesting. Mine was in throughout last winter with no probs. Mind you it doesnt get all that cold in London where I'm based. :cold:

I am well north of Watford Gap

Are you running the latest firmware ? 21. Something is it ? Not quite sure which version is the latest, I will need to check. But just wondering if your running latest firmware as mine has so many issues it’s easier to say what’s not wrong.
It would be nice if nextbase included the option to reinstall a previous firmware as a few members mentioned one of the version 19 firmwares been fairly stable, so it would be nice to be able to reinstall a different version and see if it helped.

R 21.5, is the latest.

Update from me - now two years since purchase and with constant use.

Main point is that the unit continues to perform well with no serious issues at all.

I have just changed the internal battery as I started getting signals from the car (Mini Countryman) that the battery drainage was increasing. This appears to have been the result of the draw on the car battery whilst the unit was in and on parking mode with no functional internal battery.

I got the replacement from Nextbase (10 UK pounds - post free) along with a clear instruction pdf and the swap was easy. (3 solder joints being the most complex part of the job).
I'll be putting the unit back in the car today (did the battery job yesterday) and I'll let you know how things progress.

Recently switched back to my 522gw issues with my previous camera, using the front and rear cameras i have been pleasantly surprised that it works so well, with the new firmware update i actually got alexa up and running, the camera is great other than the rear quality being a little subpar

Here's a New Year update on my 522GW, bought and installed May 2021 and in the car since so 2 years and 7 months constant use

Internal battery changed in May 2023 after 2 years.

It continues to perform very well. :cool:

The only issue I had recently was operator caused o_O - while doing some settings changes I mistakenly turned off the parking function meaning it was constantly on and caused a battery alert from the car. With that changed all is back to running well.

Now into my 5th year and the first fault. The camera is not recognising that the sdcard is installed. Got 1st msg just before Christmas so I bought the Nextbase 32 gb card. Still not being seen by camera but recording to it.
I can work with this, but am currently testing the Vantrue N4 pro ( very pleased with it)

Yes you have to download it , fix it to your sd card and etcetc. Or send Nextbase support a msg asking for it to be sent to you on a single use sd card. That is how I got it.

Back