Updated DrivePro 110 with Starvis

richx

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
A129 Duo, A139, Mola N3, A119v2, B4K
I caught my attention that Transcend recently updated the DrivePro 110 to Starvis sensor. The tell-tale is that the retail box now bundles with 32GB card instead of 16GB.

Has anyone got their hands on one and made a comparison with the previous Exmor sensor model?

Not likely to be of much interest to members here due to the specification and design, limited appeal
Yeah and it seems like they've stuck with batteries. But I've had a DrivePro 110 Exmor for a couple of years, and other than occasional need to reformat the card it has held up reliably.

It has one of those wobbly/vibrating suction mounts, although since you can't use it while driving and have to unplug it every time you stop at the lights with the engine idling, I guess it is never going to vibrate while recording. You must also unplug it whenever parked, so when exactly can you use it?
Specification said:
Note
  • Do not operate the DrivePro dashcam while driving.
  • If the lighter socket in your car continues to provide power after the engine is switched off, unplug the DrivePro when the engine is off or idling to reduce unnecessary power consumption and prevent malfunction.

It has one of those wobbly/vibrating suction mounts, although since you can't use it while driving and have to unplug it every time you stop at the lights with the engine idling, I guess it is never going to vibrate while recording. You must also unplug it whenever parked, so when exactly can you use it?
:ROFLMAO: That is a funny observation. However most cars where I live (Japanese and local makes at least) cut off power to the cigarette port when car is off.

The option is there to purchase optional adhesive mounts, which I am using with my DrivePro 110 (Exmor).

There is a sticky-mount for this cam, but even that doesn't account for the mass being so distant from the mounting where it will have plenty of leverage trying to move around :( There's no getting around the laws of physics; the most rigid mounting will always be one where the mass is as close to the mounting surface as is possible. And most of us want a stealthy install with the camera not easily seen from outside the car which these "brick-on-a-stick" designs don't do very well. I don't mind plugging and unplugging cams but not everyone feels the same way, and most people prefer systems that take care of themselves with no constant user-input needed :)

The bottom line is always whether you're happy with your cam, and that it's doing what you need it to do. If that's true for you then there's nothing wrong even where better is possible :cool:

Phil

There is a sticky-mount for this cam, but even that doesn't account for the mass being so distant from the mounting where it will have plenty of leverage trying to move around :( There's no getting around the laws of physics; the most rigid mounting will always be one where the mass is as close to the mounting surface as is possible. And most of us want a stealthy install with the camera not easily seen from outside the car which these "brick-on-a-stick" designs don't do very well. I don't mind plugging and unplugging cams but not everyone feels the same way, and most people prefer systems that take care of themselves with no constant user-input needed :)

The bottom line is always whether you're happy with your cam, and that it's doing what you need it to do. If that's true for you then there's nothing wrong even where better is possible :cool:

Phil

I get the form factor issues. It's just that Transcend has an established retail distribution chain and is somewhat more readily available in retail stores and large online stores. If it's good, it's easier to recommend to first timers who may be edgy about warranty support and such. The high quality memory card bundled in their product helps too.

I'd rather a noob have the best cam possible for their needs, no matter where it comes from. Nice that Transcend sells cams with a good card, but a noob needs to know something about cards- that they should be checked and formatted regularly and that they do wear out. And most important that not just any card will do. Give them a card and they won't know this stuff. Better that they know something of dashcams now before three years later they go to get a badly-needed video and it ain't there :eek: I'm not saying the Transcend 110 isn't a good cam- only that there are better choices and some very good reasons to choose otherwise.

Phil

Back