Updating Dashcam firmware

wattene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
CDR905DBT
Like a novice, I have inadvertently updated my firmware for Cobra CDR905DBT with the wrong software, and now the dashcam doesn't switch on. Any ideas that don't involve throwing it in the dustbin?

Reset button?

put correct firmware onto a spare memory card and try to run it again? Is it a battery powered cam? could it just be flat?

Thanks for the response. Yes tried the reset button, no change. I have it connected to my PC so power should not be a problem. Great idea about the firmware, but there is no firmware file for my model CDR902DBT. I downloaded the firmware update for the CDR895 which according to the UK site was the correct model... or so I thought until I noticed a small label on the underside of the camera!!!

Tech support in the UK reckons that it can't be fixed, and you can't just buy a new camera. I'll see if I can get a firmware file from the US.

When connected to the PC it often goes into "pc" mode, where it takes power from the pc but doesn't necessarily charge the battery. If it is a battery cam, could you plug it in in the car to charge it (even while it currently isn't working properly)?

If any of that makes no difference, exactly what is the label on the cam and what does the UK site say with regards to it apparently being the correct firmware? If there's misleading info on the site surely you have grounds to have the camera swapped

...I have it connected to my PC so power should not be a problem...
That may not be the case. Not all computer USB ports supply adequate output for a camera. Some are as low as .3A to .5A whereas most cameras have a stated requirement for 1A or more (I'm not familiar with yours). Your best best is to use a USB wall adapter designed specifically for charging.

Thanks for the replies DashcamDPR and DT MI. I have contacted Cobra regarding lack of information regarding the model ie, no mention of model number on the outer packaging, or on the reverse, it only says it is a Cobra driveHD Dual View Dash Cam, and the other features. I went on to the Cobra site and choose the UK option and the only Dual Dash Cam product was identified as CDR 895, this was the model I took to be mine and obviously downloaded the the firmware update, and installed it. Only when it was apparent that the update had failed, I looked for a reset button, and there on the base of the camera was a tiny (10mm x 4mm) label giving the model number CDR905, serial etc. There is no CDR905 on the UK site.
So I will wait and see how they reply, and I'll let you know. I bought another one as all the cabling was ready and it all works fine - expensive episode 2 x £149.99

Another option. Was it bought from a reputable retailer? (within the last 12 months)

Back