updating firmware + GPS

omco

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,
1. What is the best firmware version for V3? I just recived it, and don't know if it's updated
2. Why the GPS is important? I don't need the location, and the spead that meantiond is not admissible in court (because there is no standard for all dashcams). So only for keeping time and date synchronized?

Having GPS info is useful if you have need to find a journey location. It gets used by Dashcam Viewer to show your journey in Maps.

Hi,
2. Why the GPS is important? I don't need the location, and the spead that meantiond is not admissible in court (because there is no standard for all dashcams). So only for keeping time and date synchronized?

From experience Insurance companies like it and so do I.

Here’s the current firmware:

Version number is V1.03 (update 0924)

I take it this model ain't that supported, considering the A129 is at beta 2.3?

Would seem to suggest that the A119 is mostly bug free.
Common versioning standards would put an increase from 1.0 to 1.03 as something pretty minor.

Anyway, not here to nitpick, I'm just browsing around trying to decide which model to buy between those 2.

I'm more interested in reliability and bug fixes rather than future features :)
For example, my old Git2 is around 3 years old now, always in the car be it winter or summer. Only issue I ever had were swollen batteries due to temps. Apart from that it was rock solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't place any value on whether a firmware gets updated more than another cam does. Firmware changes for 2 reasons: improved performance or a necessary bug fix, and it's usually the latter. And updates don't always work as well as planned, sometimes causing other problems to emerge. So best to judge and choose based on where things are right now and if you see something which is probably going to be an issue for you then another choice may be better.

The old Mobius hasn't seen updates in ages, but doesn't need any.
The N2Pro, another older cam, has long needed updating but hasn't gotten it and probably won't.
Viofo's cams get updated rather frequently, both for bug fixes and improved performance.

Something few people consider is that you want the ability to easily downgrade firmware back to an older version if the newer ones have problems. No big deal with Viofo, but some other brands make this harder to do. I never update anything until I see from others that it is working correctly- this has saved me a LOT of headaches :)

Phil

I've been running my V3 since soon after it was released and it's never missed a beat. Get a good fast SDCard and away you go.

Note: I don't use parking mode as the car is garaged.

Having GPS info is useful if you have need to find a journey location. It gets used by Dashcam Viewer to show your journey in Maps.

From experience Insurance companies like it and so do I.

version number has no relevance to other models and levels of support of each

Guys, not sure what about the GPS. In Israel the location is less important. We don't have big "unkown" areas. I just thoughtthat the GPS mount will help to keep the clock and the date more accurate. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
If you use GPS you just need to set your time zone, the camera will do the rest when it get time and date from GPS satellites ( in all systems you manual have to factor in daylight savings, so i use +2 now in the summer though on the map Denmark are only +1 hour )

IF you dont use GPS, your exact speed cam always be determined from the video recording itself, so dont rule out GPS for that reason, if you are speeding and afraid your camera could be used against you, then you should not be recording any form of video while driving.

the time will drift, won't stay accurate longer term

If you use GPS you just need to set your time zone, the camera will do the rest when it get time and date from GPS satellites ( in all systems you manual have to factor in daylight savings, so i use +2 now in the summer though on the map Denmark are only +1 hour )

IF you dont use GPS, your exact speed cam always be determined from the video recording itself, so dont rule out GPS for that reason, if you are speeding and afraid your camera could be used against you, then you should not be recording any form of video while driving.

I would prefer using the suction mount, so I can't use the GPS mount with that...
The speed is less important to me, because the police can "calculate" the speed by the video and I think that the mentioned speed in the stamp won't be admissible in court, because there's no one standart for all dash cams.
Same for the location, less important because most of the areas in here are with signposting and most of the time I just don't drive in "unknown" places like that desert or a forest...
Therefore, the clock and the date stamps are left and I ponder how much important they are and how much the GPS is important in that case

Therefore, the clock and the date stamps are left and I ponder how much important they are and how much the GPS is important in that case
question is, if it comes to the crunch and you have your day in court and you produce video that has a timestamp that doesn't match the version of events, is that going to cause an issue?

question is, if it comes to the crunch and you have your day in court and you produce video that has a timestamp that doesn't match the version of events, is that going to cause an issue?
not sure, I think because the same reason - there's no standart... nobody will know if I changed the time manualy or something like that...

not sure, I think because the same reason - there's no standart... nobody will know if I changed the time manualy or something like that...
it's not about a standard, if you front up to court and needed to present your facts and your evidence was off by 15 minutes and didn't match the story, could that cause an issue, yes it's not something that might happen, but if it did then it could make your evidence useless, why risk it for the sake of $10 or whatever it costs to keep things accurate

Back