Upgrade Question: Is the Viofo A129 Plus Duo compatable with older A129 Duo base and cables?

clicketyclack

Reaction score
Country
United States
I already have an A129 Duo installed with the parking hardwire kit. Can I leave the GPS base and cabling in place, and just replace the front and rear cameras with A129 Plus Duo front and rear cameras?

I want to add a dashcam to my other older car, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade the existing A129 Duo one in my nicer, newer car, with the A129 Plus Duo, and move the A129 Duo to my older car with the A129 Plus Duo cabling kit.

not sure about the mount (probably the same but someone else will need to confirm), the hardwire kit is the same, the rear camera cable will need to be changed though, that's not compatible, uses a different format

I already have an A129 Duo installed with the parking hardwire kit. Can I leave the GPS base and cabling in place, and just replace the front and rear cameras with A129 Plus Duo front and rear cameras?

I want to add a dashcam to my other older car, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade the existing A129 Duo one in my nicer, newer car, with the A129 Plus Duo, and move the A129 Duo to my older car with the A129 Plus Duo cabling kit.
You only have to re-run the Rear Camera Cable since the A129 Plus Duo rear camera cable is different and smaller.
I upgraded the A129 Duo to A129 Plus Duo for my new car and keep the old GPS module for A129 Plus Duo and it works fine.
I re-ran the A129 Plus Duo rear camera cable for my new car last year.
I will install the A129 Duo for my old car beside the current installed A119 V2.

Last edited:
GPS mounts are compatible
Yes, the mount is compatible, you can confirm that if 129 Plus is installed on the GPS 129 Duo module, it will be functional and will catch satellites.?

Yes, the mount is compatible, you can confirm that if 129 Plus is installed on the GPS 129 Duo module, it will be functional and will catch satellites.?
I don’t use the GPS function, but it powers the camera and parking mode works just fine. I will turn on GPS and confirm if the GPS functions works, but they should since Viofo has said it should.

I will turn on GPS and confirm if the GPS functions works, but they should since Viofo has said it should.
Please check.
I ask because one user has 1 DVR 129 Duo and two GPS modules from the Duo version, he purchased 129 Plus, connecting 129 Plus to the GPS Duo module, writes but GPS.

Please check.
I ask because one user has 1 DVR 129 Duo and two GPS modules from the Duo version, he purchased 129 Plus, connecting 129 Plus to the GPS Duo module, writes but GPS.
Older A129 GPS mounts aren’t compatible, as they redesigned it awhile back. Newer ones should be fine. The redesign occurred before the release of the A129 Pro.

Can anyone physically confirm compatibility?

The redesign occurred before the release of the A129 Pro.
How to determine a new version of a module compatible with 129 Plus

Can anyone physically confirm compatibility?

How to determine a new version of a module compatible with 129 Plus
I don’t think there is a way to know visually. Just need to try I guess.

Dident the new version mount get new pins to connect to the camera ?

41mrJvfTZUL._AC_SY400_.jpg

A119V2_GPS_Mount.jpg

Dident the new version mount get new pins to connect to the camera ?
Read carefully, we are talking about 129 Plus and 129 Duo

I don’t think there is a way to know visually. Just need to try I guess.
This is not an option, it costs money and a month of waiting. If the module does not fit, we return and again the cost of the goods + postage and again a month of waiting.

Yes i know the sticker here say A119, but this connector was a problem on all cameras, so while i do assume here i think it is fair to assume older A 129 duo had the old type of connectors, and if changing connectors it would be a good idea to do it on all products as they was a cause for problems.

A 129 duo had the old type of connectors, and if changing connectors it would be a good idea to do it on all products as they was a cause for problems.
Friend, you might not understand, it's not about the connectors, everything is the same there, 129+ on the 129 Duo module doesn't see satellites, there is no signal.
I suppose that these models have different hardware and software, because of this they are incompatible, maybe I'm wrong.

Googling for A129 plus duo i found this picture, the connectors seem to be V2 style,,,,, BUT !!!! the mounting system are 4 latched in the corners , and this also seem to be the case with newer A129 duo models.
Not sure if old A129 duo had the same 1 connector as the A119 above.

A 129 plus duo parts.
a129-plus-duo-accessories_5f487ca730a30.jpg

A129 duo parts.
VIOFO-A129-Duo-Dual-Channel-5GHz-Wi-Fi-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-Camera-Sensor-IMX291-HD.jpg

Mounting solution and connection solution seem to be the same from the outside at least, and it would be stupid to have different internals in the GPS mount itself.

This is not an option, it costs money and a month of waiting. If the module does not fit, we return and again the cost of the goods + postage and again a month of waiting.
If your buying a new A129 mount, then you will be getting the newer version and it should work fine.

Reactions: Mtz
Yes it do sound strange, make no sense if viofo have different insides in what is essentially the same mount

I think even the oldest SG camera i have, its GPS mouse antenna would work on the newest SG camera i have, this make good sense i think.

Yes it do sound strange, make no sense if viofo have different insides in what is essentially the same mount
The insides are different in the DVR itself, and therefore the software could be written for a certain hardware.

Yes things evolve, at least inside the cameras, but the simple GPS antenna and the mount with 4 connectors should be possible to remain the same in regard to how it fit together and the pinout of the 4 pins.
At least that would make sense to me, but of course something i dont know yet might change that, i do tend to make / think things are more simple than they really are.

I am not aware if changing the GPS antenna to another model from the same brand would require new code in the camera to use it, though i am almost sure that the way of communicating with GPS antennas can probably be done in several not compatible ways that would each require a change in the overall code.

So changing from say a U-blox brand to some other brand might very well need a change in the code, maybe even if you changed from a little cheap U-blox antenna to one of their very fancy high end ones.

Just in the very basis GPS modules U-blox have a vast array, not sure if they all talk the same basic language, though some with more features will probably need more code to make use of those features.

Back