Upgrade

BayouCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally retired my SG9665GC v2 for a new SG9663DCPRO+ (with park cable)
Here's hoping It will survive this Louisiana weather just as well as its cousin. The old unit is still functioning and will be donated to a friend.
Just a heads up that If you are able order direct and not from amazon. I saved $30 (no tax) Now if only I was patient enough to have asked for a promo code :p
Anyways I don't talk much here but wanted everyone to know that I'm still a very happy SG customer.

1) On the old cam the polarization filter (SGGCCPL) I purchased the film/glass started to separate within a year. (Their wasn't much glare usually in my car so I didn't contact support but I know they would have made it right.)
2) I kinda liked the plastic wire covers on my old unit. Depending on how the current wire cover looks I might try and reuse the old cover or 3D print something in ABS that matches my rear view mirror (has rain, Highbeam sensor, etc)
3) I would like to see SG backlight their buttons with an option to turn them off/on in the menu.

Anyone on the fence buying SG just do it already. Great product and great service!

I have never used the wire covers on any SG camera i have tested, not even the DC model which have them coming off the side of the camera and not the top.
But that is probably due to the fortunate layout of my windscreen and the dotted area, otherwise i am a stickler for cable order and have for years tailored wires in my PC to exact lengths for the route they have.
Backlit buttons i recon would only be of value at night as the light will have to be dim to not blind people and so hard to see in the daytime, and with many cameras today having wifi you dont really have to interact much with the camera, i now use my phone to do settings and my tired old eyes are thankful for that.

3) I would like to see SG backlight their buttons with an option to turn them off/on in the menu.
100%

By the way, I’ve never used the wire covers as even in my Super Duty truck the cam is installed tucked up high against the headliner. No room for a cover and no need :)

Backlit buttons i recon would only be of value at night
Well, yeah, night is the only time you need them or would even notice them anyway. I can’t imagine they’d need to turn off the LEDs, but they could certainly do so when in parking mode. Anything else like ambient light sensors or sunrise/sunset timing seems like an unnecessary complication. They can’t even set your time zone automatically based on GPS location.

I prefer to go by tactile feel, reaching for buttons, i have a few times stopped recording trying to reach the event button on the A139 camera, but the replacement one i got i also not modified the event button to stand out more like i did the first camera i got.
That said LED lights on dashcams do not bother me the slightest, and i have seen some strong ones over the years.

The remote button on the SG9663DR is just wonderful,,,,, and it have light too

I prefer to go by tactile feel, reaching for buttons, i have a few times stopped recording trying to reach the event button on the A139 camera, but the replacement one i got i also not modified the event button to stand out more like i did the first camera i got.
That said LED lights on dashcams do not bother me the slightest, and i have seen some strong ones over the years.

The remote button on the SG9663DR is just wonderful,,,,, and it have light too
Purchased my SG9665GC v3 back in Dec 2016. The Amazon reseller was a regular on here, Niko.

He had, IMHO, the genius idea to supply with the dashcam a couple of those clear, semi circular sticky kitchen door protectors.

Probably only 4 or 5 mm across. Sits nicely on the file protect button.

My dashcam sits behind the rear view mirror but hitting the save button is a doddle thanks to the attached rubber protector.

On the A139 ( first camera ) i glued a piece of 40 grit sand paper to the event button, no problem feeling that in the dark.

Back in the early days ( GC ) i did not use the event button, thats actually a new thing in my dashcam life, only done that the past few years or so.
With the way SG cameras now handle event recordings it is a very convenient way of saving little things for my youtube uploads.

Back