Upgrading from A119 to A119 V3

Hmmm

How clean is the back window, inside & out

Yes both front and rear windscreens are cleaned regularly inside and out....

Is it the same without the sun ?

Also, how far away from the glass is the camera.

I'd be interested to see what the footage is like without the glass in the way, rule it out.

Last edited:
Sadly despite thorough cleaning of lens and CPL filter there is no improvement in quality..
There have been cases of plaque formation on the first objective lens - the IR filter.
You need to disassemble the DVR, disconnect the holder from the matrix board, see if there is any plaque on the IR filter and matrix.
If everything is clear there, adjust the focus.
P.S. Raise the lens slightly, then everything will not be flooded with white.

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IM.jpg
    IM.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 5
Is it the same without the sun ?

Also, how far away from the glass is the camera.

I'd be interested to see what the footage is like without the glass in the way, rule it out.
The footage is the same now even when the sun is not present, it used to be really good footage and has spent 18 months attached to the front windscreen whilst my A119 has been operating out of the rear windscreen attached to a suction mount which also gave me excellent recordings whilst attached to the suction mount...

As previously mentioned I have now swapped them around with A119 in front (still great quality) and the A119S to rear screen via suction mount ..distance of lens to the rear windscreen is 2 inches but the problem originated whilst it was directly attached to the front windscreen so do not think that is the issue....

There have been cases of plaque formation on the first objective lens - the IR filter.
You need to disassemble the DVR, disconnect the holder from the matrix board, see if there is any plaque on the IR filter and matrix.
If everything is clear there, adjust the focus.
P.S. Raise the lens slightly, then everything will not be flooded with white.
Thanks for info re plaque formation, I will slightly raise the lens upwards to see if it helps, not sure how confident I am at opening up the camera and fiddling with the matrix board....

I wonder what causes that plaque.

I've got an early V3 as an upgrade from a V2 I had and so far so good.

However, mine doesn't live in the car. It's allowed indoors after it's done it's job.

I wonder what causes that plaque.

Disassembled. The holder is really plastic. The lens on the back, or rather the IR cut filter (?), Has a cloudy coating. I rubbed myself hard with a cotton swab. It seems not completely erased. But it seems to have gotten better.
The holder was glued to the board with some kind of glue, and the board with the matrix was somehow sticky. Probably, this glue evaporated and gave a coating ...
By the way, this IR filter accumulates three drops on the lens. I thought about throwing it off and washing it separately, but it holds on tightly.

Sadly despite thorough cleaning of lens and CPL filter there is no improvement in quality..
Thanks for giving it a try. Hopefully someone may know the cause of this failure. I am wondering if smoke is on the inside of the lense on the sensor. Grasping at straws now but that's the next step I would go given the camera is almost useless.

The A119V3 is very good. It seems to be very good at capturing still frames something the A129 Duo is not great at. Have you considered the dual dash cams?

I also use a A129 Duo and have found it useful seeing the times I’ve nearly been rammed in the tailgate.

The Viofo A129 Pro Duo Ultra 4k Front + Full HD 1080p Rear Dual Channel Wi-Fi GPS Dash Camera which I don't have but believe it offers even better quality on the front dash cam and can also be communicated to via Wi-Fi.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your inputs on my A119S problem, it was much appreciated, if it ever improves/gets fixed I will let you know what the problem was..

Thanks

I'd still be interested to see a shot not through glass. Just plug it directly into the power socket and held outside.

Try using it without the CPL filter. I had a problem with my rear A119S due to the interaction between the CPL and the tinting on my rear glass. It was rectified by removing the filter.

Thanks, have no tinted rear screen but will remove the CPL filter and see if anything different, am also going to set the EV exposure from 0.0 to a minus setting but I think the camera has developed some sort of fault.. Will also try and take some footage with it away from the car as per Kremmen`s post above to see if any difference...

Thanks, have no tinted rear screen but will remove the CPL filter and see if anything different, am also going to set the EV exposure from 0.0 to a minus setting but I think the camera has developed some sort of fault.. Will also try and take some footage with it away from the car as per Kremmen`s post above to see if any difference...
And all you really wanted was advice about A119V3 and you stumbled into a hornet’s nest of boffins. Lol.

I'm no boffin :)

All I know is what I see in the images and realise, compared to mine, that it just doesn't look right.

Back