Upgrading from F750 to F770? Don't do this!

kmarnes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got an upgrade, intending on installing the F750 into my wife's car. All the cables are the same, except the rear dash cable is now a right angle plug so it can hide better in the F770.

As I already had the 750 version installed properly in my new car, I didn't want to go through it all over again, so I decided to simply cut and splice the wire.

Little did I know that inside is a whole family of little wires.

• Tiny white and green wires shielded by foil surrounded by...
  • Tiny red and black wires shielded by foil surrounded by...
  • Braided wiring covering the whole outside.
I tried to splice them in vain, but failed. So now I have to get two new sets of rear cables.

IMG_1471.JPG

Yeah.... What I don't get is, after you cut the first cable and realizing how hard it would be to splice, why you would cut the new cable??
Some users have reported that certain right angle adapters work. Others have simply drilled the plastic flap haha

I believe we still have some right angled F770 rear camera cables on their own (without having to buy the rear camera)

I don't understand why you have to get TWO new Cables.

There is only one Cable between the F770 and the Rear Cam.

The Cable can be spliced. It requires some small Shrink Wrap, and some braided shield from a cable. AND time and patience, as well as a good soldering iron and heat gun.

RodeoGeorge

Yeah.... What I don't get is, after you cut the first cable and realizing how hard it would be to splice, why you would cut the new cable??
Some users have reported that certain right angle adapters work. Others have simply drilled the plastic flap haha

I believe we still have some right angled F770 rear camera cables on their own (without having to buy the rear camera)
Thanks, I just realized you are in Richmond, so I stopped by to pick them up last night. At first, I was confused because your website is using US currency. Good service, and my mistake costs me about $70.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you have to get TWO new Cables.

There is only one Cable between the F770 and the Rear Cam.

The Cable can be spliced. It requires some small Shrink Wrap, and some braided shield from a cable. AND time and patience, as well as a good soldering iron and heat gun.

RodeoGeorge
I need two because I cut both wires. I had a F750 installed in my main car and upgraded it to the F770, and the F750 is going into my wife's car. I wanted the new lower profile right angle cable so it conceals better, but didn't want to rewire the rear dash cam wire -- which was a total pain. So I cut it and failed to achieve my goals. So now I will buy two new ones and do it properly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B F770 5
R F770 17
Back