Upgrading on a Mac

tradarr

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

Very frustrated here!! When I first got my Blackvue(650 2ch) it was touch and go in regards to getting my iPhone to connect to it via wifi, then it just stopped all together. Thought it maybe because I had an old iPhone. Anyway early this year I bought the latest iPhone and still won't connect to the blackvue via wifi.

So the only choice I have to upgrade the firmware is through my Mac, onto SD card and into camera etc. I downloaded the relevant file though the upgrade link. However how on earth would I ever know what file in the downloaded folder is the upgraded firmware?? The directions in regards to the file is just generalisation.

Can so one please post simple and precise instructions on what file needs my attention, how to unzip it and how to put it into the SD card etc.

Thanks in Advance ...

I don't know about MAC, but when I download to PC, the firmware version is in the downloaded file name. I copy the whole file to my SD card and put it into the camera. If you want to explore further, open the file and you should get a Blackvue folder and a "how to upgrade file". Open the Blackvue folder and you should get 5 folders. Open the config folder and you get 2 files. Open the version.bin file with a text editor and it will show the version in the second line. ie. version = 2.002.

I don't know what 'downloaded file name' means?? A folder was downloaded with a whole lot of folders and files in it and I haven't a clue which one it is. This is why I'm asking for precise instructions. Thanks.

Try copying the whole file that you downloaded to your SD card, and put it into your camera.

Thanks John but in step 3 it states 'Unzip the downloaded firmware'. Wouldn't I need to do that first?

I've never had to unzip. I can only assume that this is done automatically. If you can view various files and folders, I can only assume your download is already unzipped.

Ok doesn't look like it needs to be unzipped.

Had a problem formatting the SD card as per instructions though on the Mac. Never a simple 1,2,3 process is it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 9.56.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 9.56.09 AM.png
    100 KB · Views: 5
There is no real need to reformat on a Mac provided you delete the Blackvue directory on the card AND empty the trash .. that's all I do and never had a problem.

Paint by the numbers steps:
1) Download the firmware - it auto unzips for me on my Mac into a folder called Blackvue. Note the location of this downloaded directory
2) on the card, delete the Blackvue directory and empty the trash
3) copy the blackvue directory from step 1 onto th3 card
4) eject the card from the Mac
5) plug card into camera, power on and it will auto-update

Thanks Ian! Thats the exact steps I ended up following except after inserting card back into the camera it said there was a problem with the card so I reformatted it and it worked fine after that. Wifi is connecting ok now so next upgrade will be done via the app.

Thanks Again ...

I found I couldn't update from 2.005 to 2.007 via the app .. it kept disconnecting when the upgrade started ... so I did it via copying onto the card ... I could update via wifi though when I sent to 2.005

Ok thats handy to know. Blackvue software seems very buggy!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tooshy DR650GW (1CH or 2CH) 2
Back