Upgrading to SG9663DC PRO

SeanD91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Just a quick questioned, I've just ordered the standard SG9663DC PRO from hiniko with the upgraded rear IMX291 camera. I didn't fancy the PRO+ as WiFi doesn't interest me and the old form factor for the rear camera fits better in my car than the new cylinder style.

I've been running a SG9665GC V.3 in my car for just over two years and have impressed with it so that'll be going in the girlfriends car after a car park bump where she was reversed into.

When it comes to fitting the SG9663DC will I be able to use the same 12v cigar power plug that's already routed through the A-beam and headlining for the 9665GC or is it advised to use the one that comes in the box? Like wise with the GPS unit, use the new one or will the old one work with it?

I'll be upgrading to a 128gb SanDisk high endurance card to run it with as well, upgrading from the 64gb card I run in the 9665.

Many thanks!

You can use same power supply, but it has a straight minigusb plug and you won't get a parking mode feature. Same GPS antenna can be used as well.

Ah roger, I'll see what works space wise then. I'm okay without parking mode for my car, it's either on the driver or the in the work car park. I was more concerned about having to rip out and refit the power and GPS cabling.

Hello folks,

Just a quick questioned, I've just ordered the standard SG9663DC PRO from hiniko with the upgraded rear IMX291 camera. I didn't fancy the PRO+ as WiFi doesn't interest me and the old form factor for the rear camera fits better in my car than the new cylinder style.
DCPRO also has wifi

...I'll see what works space wise then...
If the physical form factor is an issue you could consider the SGGCX2PRO+ with optional rear camera. Physically it's almost identical to the 'GC' v3.

DCPRO also has wifi
I noticed that after reading the forums but it wasn't listed as a key feature. I was more focused on making sure the rear sensor had been upgraded to the IMX291. Nice to have anyway!

If the physical form factor is an issue you could consider the SGGCX2PRO+ with optional rear camera. Physically it's almost identical to the 'GC' v3.

The actual camera unit size should be fine. I'll have a look and see whether I need the right angle cable connectors or not due to the promimity to the cars sensor unit.

The actual camera unit size should be fine. I'll have a look and see whether I need the right angle cable connectors or not due to the promimity to the cars sensor unit.
The major physical difference between the two is the DC has connectors on the side while the X2 has them on top. For some installations it can be a factor. I also found that (for me anyhow) mounting on the sensor housing works well, although that can vary from one vehicle to another.

DC has connectors on the side

On the right side of the camera housing.

Regarding wifi, it is more or less a novelty found in most things today, some people cant live without it, me personally i never really use it in dashcams or elsewhere.
Okay it is nice to be able to do settings on a larger phone screen when you have forgotten your reading glasses in the 2 floor apartment, cuz my eyes sure are not what the use to be with little writing or up close things.

I have been using a first generation DC camera for a few years and the IMX 323 rear camera was okay for me, never once have i been thinking a IMX 291 rear camera would be nice to have.
Dont get me wrong a IMX 291 is what i would recommend people getting ( front or rear ) but in the rear i dont feel like it is a must if money are a bit tight.
I do have IMX 291 front and rear now in the form of the DR model i have been sent by SG to beat on / test, but it is actually rare i look at footage from the rear camera in any of my dual systems, or for that matter grab footage from for my youtube videos, but i would not be without it now.
I really think people should go for a dual system if they can afford it, but i would still recommend a quality front camera over a cheap dual system, maybe one of the few systems that allow you to get the front camera, and then add on a rear camera later on.

Back