Uploading to youtube states my videos are only sd quality and they do look not that great.

betamaxman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any Ideas, don't see any quality settings in my cam, thought I might of set them wrong somehow. Thanks in advance.

when you upload to YouTube they re-encode them to several different formats, the low resolution versions are done first, the higher resolutions will show up as a playback option later

they are 1440 & 1080p now

The quality is still ****, the video from the front camera is like oversharped with low bitrate at same time.

Yes, over sharpened stock image settings are nothing new to dashcams, it can actually be worst in some of the most expensive cameras.
Low bitrate are normal for dashcams, around 18 - 20 mbit is around the best you get for 1080p footage, it is a matter of how much room the footage take up.
You can go higher and get 1000 MB large 3 minute files, and have a camera that generate even more heat having to do that high a bitrate.
So dashcams try to strike the middle way but i will agree i would not mind higher bitrate, but it is a problem with "little" SD memory cards.

you also have the camera aimed pretty high, you should have around a 50/50 split at the horizon.

you can see what changes can be made if you modify the firmware image quality settings, and you can also boost bitrate in firmware, but it can be dangerous.
Have a look in this thread what one of our members do modding the firmware of a SG camera.

I will agree it is too bad the dashcam makers dont all do these tweaks to their products to make them better, seem like moste are only interested in making a sell.

you can see what changes can be made if you modify the firmware image quality settings, and you can also boost bitrate in firmware, but it can be dangerous.
Have a look in this thread what one of our members do modding the firmware of a SG camera.

I will agree it is too bad the dashcam makers don't all do these tweaks to their products to make them better, seem like moste are only interested in making a sell.
those changes developed in the modded firmware are all in the official V1.31 firmware, some work is happening now for some further improvements

Yeah, it is nice to see someone care, far too many it seem to me just run with default settings, and if they fix anything it is only reliability and function issues that get addressed.
Worst of all i dont think it is that hard to do those changes, and it even seem to lift performance too, all the more reason to do it.

Of course you need to know / find out what changes to make, but i assume with SDK you can pull up settings for sharpness / saturation / colors ASO, and their values, and then just change say sharpness +0.32 to +0.21 and so on, and then compile ( do it work that way ) a new firmware with those new image settings.

TBH i think every camera company should have one guy, with the main job of working with image quality / improvements, constantly trying new ideas of his own or picked up from a modding /user community.

Of course you need to know / find out what changes to make, but i assume with SDK you can pull up settings for sharpness / saturation / colors ASO, and their values, and then just change say sharpness +0.32 to +0.21 and so on, and then compile ( do it work that way ) a new firmware with those new image settings.
yeah there's skill involved, it's not straightforward though, it's all code, not something where you just adjust sliders or values or whatever, way more complex than that unfortunately

Okay. i taught with a SDK you could just pull up all parameters like a CFG file for a computer game or something, and then you could just edit those values in text.
i was not expecting something a simple like say the software to change settings on a mobius camera.

Seem like i once again are oversimplifying things. :rolleyes::)

In one of my trades ( Machine worker ) it do seem like CNC machines have become much smarter nowadays VS in the mid 80ties when i learned about handling those ( the very basics )
Seem like today you just load the drawing in any supported format, and then tell the machine where the block of steel is for it to work on, it will figure out on its own what speeds to run what tools at ASO, something we had to enter manual back then.
And if you then have a huge tool magazine on your machine, it know what is where and if it can be used for some operation ( i assume i never really got to work with those kind of machines )

Once i tried to look at things with a hex editor, that is when the greying of my hair really picked up speed, even if i still dropped it very fast like some rapper doing a MIC drop.

Sadly i am not at that geek level, with anything really, the only thing i have ever obsessed over was my drug use, even if that was quite moderate compared to what it cam be for people like that.
Been on the high seas for 4-5 months, and not giving it a thought, as soon as i landed in the local airport and i was only a 50 Km drive from home, all i could think off was getting home ditch my suitcase and then go smoke some weed.
I think that qualify as a obsession :) and other names too.

Back